What's new

Paper Weight to Prevent Ink Bleedthrough?

What weight of paper do you need to buy to avoid ink Bleedthrough using an average fountain pen? I want to buy a real of paper stock that I can cut up for note paper that will perform well with fountain pens.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
I’ve had good luck with standard Rhodia pads. Clairfontaine is good fountain pen friendly paper as well.

I don't think it's as simple as the weight of the paper. Tomoe River paper is 68 gsm and resists bleed thru. I have had 80 lb card stock that would let ink through. That said, if you are looking for 8" x 11" blank paper that is fountain pen friendly, I have found Hewlett Packard's printer/copy paper to be good. It runs in the 20 to 24 pound range.

I understand 'bleed through' is associated with the size applied to the paper during manufacture. -Papers with a sheen or more glossy surface tend to resist the penetration of the ink into the fibres of the paper

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Quality of paper counts more than weight. Not much paper made nowadays is made to function well with fountain pen ink

And different FP inks will behave differently on a given paper ... some are good on cheap paper and others are lousy.

I have used Rhodia and Clairfontaine pads, which work well with any of my FPs, but expensive . I may try the suggested HP printer paper.

Interestingly, I tried some sugarcane based recycle paper several years ago that performed quite well with a FP. I got it as one of the big box office supply stores.

I just bought a ream of HP Premium 32 from Amazon. It is pretty nice and does not bleed through. It is as good as Rhodia and Clairfontaine - which I also use - for my purposes. I am going to run it through my printer to print some calligraphy practice pages for which I downloaded a template off the internet.

I just bought a ream of HP Premium 32 from Amazon. It is pretty nice and does not bleed through. It is as good as Rhodia and Clairfontaine - which I also use - for my purposes. I am going to run it through my printer to print some calligraphy practice pages for which I downloaded a template off the internet.

I use the same and have for a couple years now. It does indeed work well as a substitute for Rhodia, I use both.

Top Bottom