What's new

Paper/Notebooks/Pads What are you all using?

I've been out of the game for a bit.
Last pad I bought was Rhodia which was very nice.

What are people using these days?

I'm not a huge fan of Rhodia: I find the coating annoying to write on.

I like TR, and use that for most of my work writing. I use Clairfontaine notebooks at home, and a range of smaller notebooks 3x5 (Back Pocket, even Moleskin) for EDC.

I'm not a huge fan of Rhodia: I find the coating annoying to write on.

I like TR, and use that for most of my work writing. I use Clairfontaine notebooks at home, and a range of smaller notebooks 3x5 (Back Pocket, even Moleskin) for EDC.
Rhodia is a first time upgrade from my Leuchturm journals which I do not find to be fountain pen friendly due to ghosting/bleed through. Very happy with the goalbook. The Rhodia pad came from a fountain pen starter kit from a generous @DukeNDuke trade. Looking forward to trying both TR and Clairfontaine.

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
I use Rhodia A4 stable bound pads, Black 'n Red hard case for journaling and financial ledger, and also some Black 'n Red spiral books to keep track of other things. I also have many inexpensive legal pads for all sorts of daily writing. The legal pads are surprisingly very fountain pen friendly, and cost about $1 each for 50 sheets, about the same price as good printer paper, but much better to me.

I use these little notebooks from Walmart. I fill 16 pages (one side) a day to fill a book every five days. I have about 100 of these. I use BIC Roundstick pens. I have 60 of these plus about 100 other types.

1644371211829.png
20220208_033152[1].jpg

Last edited:
My more than weekly, less than daily to do lists have been in the LET1917s for the past three years. I have found them to be the intersection of quality/performance and value. I like the following feature sets:

a. factory numbering/table of contents/internal organization
b. number of sheets ( 256 front/back total)
c. fit/finish/color
d. FP friendly enough across multiple pens and inks with a pronounced bend toward "fine" nibs in my collection
e. lines and their width

My collected thoughts on all things i.e. watches, shoes, pens, travel, life etc. now reside in a Black and Red brand A5 hardbound Notebook. I like them for the same reasons as above with the exception of a as the pages are not numbered.

I confess I went with the easy button on both given past experiences. I could not easily find a TR notebook with lines, 200+ pages numbered, shipped overnight for 20ish to me when I last looked.

If I had ready access to more Japanese Tome River Style Products, 1st hand, I might of went in that direction as I find the Mnemosyne A7 notepads superlative given their paper, lines, durability and size as they will fit easily in a dress shirt/suit jacket pocket.

Black/Red

A7

Acknowledging my own bias, if I was going to recommend one notebook/pen "set", I would tell folks to buy an A5 LET 1917 notebook of their choice re color, plain, ruled or grid and a Lamy Safari in fine, filled with some Lamy Ink and drive on never to revisit the issue again because such a combo would simply just work. YMMV greatly.

For letter writing I generally use Rhoda pads. Usually blank but sometimes dot grid. I try to find them on sale.
For journaling I print a dot grid on printer paper and then fold them and bind them. I go through so many and the value of what I write is not so great so I need something inexpensive. My current preference is a Staples brand 28#.

Rhodia is a first time upgrade from my Leuchturm journals which I do not find to be fountain pen friendly due to ghosting/bleed through. Very happy with the goalbook. The Rhodia pad came from a fountain pen starter kit from a generous @DukeNDuke trade. Looking forward to trying both TR and Clairfontaine.
Jeff, hope your enjoying the kit! Regarding the Leuchtturm notebooks, you might want to try their 120g version. I've been using one as a Bullet Journal for some time with my FP's....ghosting hasn't been a problem at all.

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
Jeff, hope your enjoying the kit! Regarding the Leuchtturm notebooks, you might want to try their 120g version. I've been using one as a Bullet Journal for some time with my FP's....ghosting hasn't been a problem at all.
Good to know, thanks.

I must say, I just started using a fountain pen again, 30 years or so after the last time. Had my Sheaffer Targa fixed, gave my Cross whatever-model-it-is a good cleaning, and started learning a bit about different papers and pads. Decided to get myself two Leuchturm1917's, and while the writing is pleasant, bleed-through is quite noticeable and annoying, particularly with the Shaeffer.

Oh well.... Will try another brand next time.

Clairfontaine notebook for work.
Rhodia and Tomoe River for loose sheets at home.

My inks are well behaved enough to write on cheap copy paper without issue but the feedback isn’t very nice.

Rhodia is my paper of choice. I don’t like clairfontaine, to be honest. It’s a bit too heavyweight for my taste. TR is nice, and I have it in my Hobonichi Techo planner. No feathering or bleeding, but because the paper is so thin, ghosting can be distracting.

Top Bottom