What's new

Paper makes a difference

OK, I'm convinced and a bit wowed. Paper does make a difference. I just got a Rhodia dot pad, and I am stunned at the difference over standard pads or computer paper.

I always figured nice paper was somewhat better, but the difference is night and day. I'm not shilling for one brand or another because I certainly don't get royalties from a French paper company; I am just passing along an observation of what will enhance someone's writing experience.

The way the nib glides across quality paper is like a hot, oily knife going through warm butter. Not only that, it actually makes your writing look better. There is no scratch and absolutely no feathering.

If you've wondered if higher end paper (whatever brand) is worth a few extra bucks, the answer is a resounding "yes."

Writing on quality paper with a nice fountain pen versus a cheap ballpoint on a legal pad is the equivalent of shaving with a good DE safety and mug soap over a disposable and canned foam.

Yes, paper makes a huge difference. I was as budding artist as a youngster, and I learned early on how much difference the right paper makes when its paired with the medium being used such as pen and ink, pencil, charcoal, water color, etc. I knew going into fountain pens that paper was going to become more of an issue than it is when using something like a ballpoint pen.

Rhodia is really great paper. I also like Midori and Tomoe River paper. I have a couple of tsubame notebooks, but I'm not keen on those. The paper is definitely high quality, but it is finicky about which inks it likes to get along with. Some inks just don't seem to want to flow onto that paper nicely. It's too bad because the notebooks are really well made.

Yes it does, I had to weed through a dozen or so paper companies before I would find the right paper, line spacing, notebook size and layout for me. I now have 15 of these notebooks sitting on my shelf. Everytime I order ink or what not I tack on a few nootbooks.

I have found the Black and Red Notebook Series to be quite fountain pen freindly across a brad number pof pen/ink combinations. They are aslo widely available at brick and motor stores as well as online.

Notably, my EDC carry pad for jotting down notes, to-do lists etc is a Rhodia No. 11.

I really like how on the better paper the ink doesn't feather, no bleed through, and the ink color seems to pop on the page. Sometimes I feel the Clairefontaine that I've settled on is too slick which makes it harder for me to control the pen when trying to write quickly, I think Rhodia is better in this regard. I haven't tried many others to be honest, might be time to do some sampling!

I have been using Franklin-Christoph and Rhodia notebooks and I much prefer the latter.

The FC paper is nice; light gray w/dot grid ruling and it takes ink like a champ. But the bindings on the notebooks are unyielding and it snaps shut like a mousetrap. The Rhodia meeting book is spiral bound, has crisp white paper that is silky smooth and it pulls the ink from the nib without a trace of feathering or bleed

I am locked in w/Rhodia from now on.

rhodia notebooks are great, though i do a lot of practice and i found staples sustainable series notebooks to be a decent cheap alternative. all i have right now is standard noodlers black and have had no feathering at all. its what i use when at work and these little ideas and designs kick into my head.

Top Bottom