What's new

Paper Choice

Gents,

just because I'm sitting here and wrecking my brain regarding what paper/journal to get for use with my fountain pen (I plan on using a bullet journal for planning purposes)....

What do you write on???

I am interested because the cheaper paper I have in house, does give me a good amount of bleed-through and/or ghosting. Please let me know if you use it for correspondance (stationary stock) or on a daily basis...

Right now Rhodia and Clairefontaine are favorites.... with Leuchtturm1917 as a favorite for a Journal...

I'm just courious what you are using and how much you like it.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
i bought some Rhodia for a friend and although I haven't used it myself, it did feel like really great paper to me. And she was impressed.

The Sustainable Earth paper from Staples is supposedly really good for fountain pen use too.

right now im using an applebandit pocket planner and I'm really enjoying it but I guess the company is going out of business so they are hard to find I'm going to give leuchtturm a try next to see how it works out

[MENTION=59338]Toothpick[/MENTION]
The Rhodia is pretty well a standard in the FP world... but it comes at a premium price. Nothing for using at work really or just for daily use. The Staples one sounds interesting.... I just might have a look at that today... Thanks
[MENTION=103890]kcore[/MENTION]
lol... isn't that fun. You find someone that makes a great product and then they go belly up. Please let me know what you think of the Leuchtturm... I was seriously looking at that as a Journal. Thanks

right now im using an applebandit pocket planner and I'm really enjoying it but I guess the company is going out of business so they are hard to find I'm going to give leuchtturm a try next to see how it works out

arghhh! Banditapple is going under!???! What a shame. I loved their fillers for my Midori Traveller -- much better than the Midori OEM paper. Drat.

to the OP: for loose leaf I use HP LaserJet 24lb. Nice thick and not expensive. The 20lb works well too but has a little ghosting simply because it's thinner.

[MENTION=105321]lishijia[/MENTION] I'm not positive that banditapple is going under but I read a review from someone on FPN stating that goulet pen co stated that they will not be restocking banditapple for now due to banditapple going through financial difficulties hopefully its just a rumor because I really enjoy their paper and their simplicity

I prefer unlined paper for almost everything, although I'm not going to waste the lined notebooks I have left. Right now, my at home journal is a Life Noble A5 size notebook, unlined, while the "away" journal is a slightly smaller Tomoe River one. Both are quite nice, but I don't think I'd pay the Tomoe River prices again.

I've used Clairefontaine and Rhodia, both excellent quality. For a non-obvious choice, the Barnes and Noble Bombay journal is a good blank journal, but apparently costs much more now than when I got a few of them some time ago. Or perhaps I caught a sale price and didn't realize it.

I'm pretty much a Rhodia loyalist. No 12 dot pads for pocket carry, spiral notebooks & no 18 lined for general use, & no 16 dot pads for an in between option.

@lishijia I'm not positive that banditapple is going under but I read a review from someone on FPN stating that goulet pen co stated that they will not be restocking banditapple for now due to banditapple going through financial difficulties hopefully its just a rumor because I really enjoy their paper and their simplicity

I'll cross my fingers then! Just surfed by Goulet and they say banditapple is "on hiatus" with a hopeful return in 2016 or 2017. http://www.gouletpens.com/banditapple-carnet/c/27 My stash of their fillers for Midori won't make it to 2017, so they better come back before then! Shame that they were having trouble -- guess not enough people knew how good the paper was.

I have been using staples sustainable earth pads. No bleed thru and dries fast, im left handed.
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452389793.228397.jpg

I agree about the Staples Sustainable Earth notebooks. Inexpensive but excellent performance with fountain pens. It is on the thin side, so you will probably get some show-through with most inks/pens, but unless you need to write on the backside of the page, not a big issue.

Rhodia and Clairefontaine are favorites of mine. I'm also fond of Midori notebooks. I have a Traveler and stitched notebook. I've also just ordered a few Apica CD notebooks. I've not tried those before, but they get good reviews. I know another member of the forum whose opion I value likes them so I figured I'd give them a try.

I prefer unlined paper for almost everything, although I'm not going to waste the lined notebooks I have left. Right now, my at home journal is a Life Noble A5 size notebook, unlined, while the "away" journal is a slightly smaller Tomoe River one. Both are quite nice, but I don't think I'd pay the Tomoe River prices again.

I've used Clairefontaine and Rhodia, both excellent quality. For a non-obvious choice, the Barnes and Noble Bombay journal is a good blank journal, but apparently costs much more now than when I got a few of them some time ago. Or perhaps I caught a sale price and didn't realize it.

How does the paper hold up in the bombay?? I have a Lamy Safari with a medium nib that seems to be tough on everything :001_rolle. I do have other FP's that aren't soakers but I just dislike not being able to use one of my favorites. The pen has been with me since 93...

What do you use in the bombay if I may ask?

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I use Clairefontaine Triomphe for stationery. I've tried several journals from $13 and up and they all had acceptable paper quality. My personal proclivities are for blank journals size A4 that lay FLAT. That pretty much leaves me with Quo Vadis Habana - which seem to work fine.

Rhodia for general stuff (No. 16 and No. 18 mostly with a massive and awesome No. 38 for random things), Clairefontaine Triomphe and G. Lalo for correspondence. A couple different pocket sized notebooks (Field Notes, EcoQua, Word., Clairefontaine, Rhodia, Doane Paper, Nock Co) for daily notes and jotting stuff down.

Just tried out the tip with the premium laser printer paper. It really worked fantasticly. It was just a sample pack that I had stashed in the bottom of my desk... the only thing I know about it is that its a 100gm paper. Its silky smooth. I've definitely found a favorite for the correspondence part for now... I'll try one from Staples hopefully tomorrow.

Now I just need to find a good journal... saw something online at Michael's. Fabriano??? If I make it tomorrow to the next store I'll have a look at that. Would be great for the price...

Thanks for all the input gents. Seems like I'm not the only one that is interested in paper for FP's

Do you buy your pads online or are you able to find them locally?

My first couple were from a b&m Patrick & Co., but they closed not too long after that. Everything since has been online. Some from Goulet, some from Amazon or ebay, some from Anderson & Jetpens I think also. Just depends on who has a coupon or a sale going or if I need an extra few bucks to score free shipping.

Now I just need to find a good journal... saw something online at Michael's. Fabriano??? If I make it tomorrow to the next store I'll have a look at that. Would be great for the price...

Iirc, Fabriano compared well with Rhodia in a review on FPN. Don't remember if it was a journal.

Just tried out the tip with the premium laser printer paper. It really worked fantasticly. It was just a sample pack that I had stashed in the bottom of my desk... the only thing I know about it is that its a 100gm paper. Its silky smooth. I've definitely found a favorite for the correspondence part for now... I'll try one from Staples hopefully tomorrow.

Glad you gave it a shot! I find the HP to be a joy to write on; since it's not "boutique", it's easy to find and cheap. I still like my Rhodia, Clairfontaine, and Quo Vadis Habana too, but it's nice to have more affordable paper for loose leaf use.

Top Bottom