What's new

Paper Bottles

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Apparently, Johnnie Walker soon will be available in paper bottles. READ HERE

As one might expect, I initially reacted as the curmudgeon and wanted to tell paper bottles to get off my lawn. Once I got over that, though, I applauded this change (or, at least this option). I often say something along the lines of "it's not the bottle but what's in it that matters." While I never contemplated paper bottles, I stick with that philosophy.

Glass is far more expensive and energy intensive to produce, transport, and recycle. Glass breaks. Plastic may be a cheaper, more durable alternative, but it turns out that plastic has plenty of its own problems. It's not like paper/pulp is without its own costs, but it seems to have far less environmental impact than glass or plastic.

I'm sure higher end and limited edition stuff will stay in glass for quite some time, if not forever. Glass has its place. However, when it comes to the rank and file options, why not make this change? If I find that I just can't stand pouring my JW Black from a paper bottle, it'll be time to bring out that decanter (and perhaps get it a buddy or two).

Sounds reasonable for your frequently lifted liquors. Might be cool to have some decanters on the shelf for the less frequently poured libations.

Paper straws are another story.

I emphatically applaud this. I have long wondered why we use so much packaging material that will NEVER decompose. Everything from milk and water to produce, soap, hardware, even toilet paper comes wrapped in plastic or glass. Thank you Johnny Walker for having the guts to invest in a bold example of a packaging alternative!

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Isn’t glass the best one to recycle.I mean you melt mold melt.How long do paper bottles hold up..

Glass is fantastic for recycling because it pretty much can be recycled forever. That's wonderful for conserving materials.

However, they aren't nearly as concerned about conserving materials as they are about conserving every. Glass is very energy intensive to produce and transport (it's heavy and it breaks), and recycling glass saves only about 1/3rd of the energy required to produce new glass. Paper is far less energy intensive to produce and transport, and recycling paper saves about 60% energy.

Then, you look at how much actually gets recycled. The US is terrible about recycling, meaning that only about 1/3rd of glass consumed in the US gets recycled as opposed to about 2/3rds of the paper consumed. The rest goes into landfills. At least paper (eventually) decomposes.

Isn’t glass the best one to recycle.I mean you melt mold melt.How long do paper bottles hold up..
Glass is fantastic for recycling because it pretty much can be recycled forever. That's wonderful for conserving materials.

However, they aren't nearly as concerned about conserving materials as they are about conserving every. Glass is very energy intensive to produce and transport (it's heavy and it breaks), and recycling glass saves only about 1/3rd of the energy required to produce new glass. Paper is far less energy intensive to produce and transport, and recycling paper saves about 60% energy.

Then, you look at how much actually gets recycled. The US is terrible about recycling, meaning that only about 1/3rd of glass consumed in the US gets recycled as opposed to about 2/3rds of the paper consumed. The rest goes into landfills. At least paper (eventually) decomposes.

Too bad the number of companies the recycle glass bottles the old way of cleaning, sanitizing and refilling them is so minuscule.

In my AO recycling bins no longer accept glass because the local places that were recycling it have shut down due to the high cost to recycling glass and low value of their product. That leaves transporting the glass to some place further away that would take it but that would cost those who collect it more money than they would make and or save so they don't do it.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Too bad the number of companies the recycle glass bottles the old way of cleaning, sanitizing and refilling them is so minuscule.

That's actually "reusing," rather than recycling, and it is so much better than recycling for so many reasons.

It's not so much that the companies didn't want to do it. They'd probably still do it. The problem is that consumers don't want to do it. By a large margin, folks would rather just throw something away than be bothered with keeping up with it and returning it.

I would gladly buy my Bombay Sapphire or Flor de Cana in paper packages if it held down costs. Would then either use a decanter or refill an old bottle. I think for efficiency and “green” drinking, you can’t beat draft beer.
53D2A138-500D-4556-BEC2-A4344C3BAFF7.jpeg
84BE8A62-0906-493E-AA4A-4A676B5BF26F.jpeg

Top Bottom