What's new

Panera? I don't understand

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I don't think we have Panera up here but Subway is seems almost as ubiquitous as Tim Hortons and i don't eat at either of them, both have a location within spitting distance.

Thanks for the heads up
dave
Funny story. I spent 3 weeks in Montreal in February 2002. After a week, the boss and I decided to drive back to the US for a bit on a Saturday night. We pulled into a small town in Vermont after dark. The two things actually still open (about 8 PM) was a restaurant with a packed parking lot and a Subway. We drove all the way back to the US for a damn Subway sandwich. Oh well, when we got back to Montreal it was still Saturday night in Montreal. :)

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Panera? I had to look it up.

No thank you.

I'll go to the local greasy spoon where you can get a juicy hamburger that when you bite into it the grease flows down your arm and cascades off of your elbow into a silver, shimmering pool on the red and white checkered tablecloth, and the bun is toasted on the grill in the burger meat grease. And I get fries with that.

I ate lunch at a Panera once. In the bottom of my soup bowl was a chunk of the plastic bag I assume it was delivered to the store in. No thanks.

For a similar type sandwich chain, I much prefer Schlotzky's. Their turkey reuben on rye is not bad and their soups are decent. If all else fails you can always get a Cinnebon at Schlotzky's and give yourself a sugar coma.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
The only time I eat from Panera is when it's a provided box lunch or someone really, really wants to meet there for lunch. It's not bad, per se, but it certainly does not trip my trigger. As others mentioned, I find it very salty. That's pretty true for most fast sandwich places, though. Their bread tends to be loaded with salt.

Subway is okay. It's familiar and virtually omnipresent, so it's something to do in a pinch. Jimmy John's does make a great sandwich, but their stuff also tends to be very salty.

I'll choose Jason's Deli over any other fast sandwich/deli place. I actually like their food, and their variety pleases just about anyone. It also was founded in my hometown, so I have a sentimental tie.

I like Jason's Deli too.
One comment about Panera... In the mornings they have those soufle's with good ingredients such as swiss, spinach and bacon, etc.

I don't seek out Panera but if I'm there I do love those lil soufle's..

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Funny story. I spent 3 weeks in Montreal in February 2002. After a week, the boss and I decided to drive back to the US for a bit on a Saturday night. We pulled into a small town in Vermont after dark. The two things actually still open (about 8 PM) was a restaurant with a packed parking lot and a Subway. We drove all the way back to the US for a damn Subway sandwich. Oh well, when we got back to Montreal it was still Saturday night in Montreal. :)

This is a wonderful story. Running away from Montreal to get some good food.

While I don't eat there often, the reason I do it because it's really hard to find any healthy lunch options. I'm surrounded by fast food restaurants that are exceptionally unhealthy. I don't want or need a 1500 calorie lunch. So finding a place that actually serves some healthy options is definitely a plus.

We need more healthy options and I'm surprised we're not seeing the opening of more restaurants that serve food that's actually good for us. The market is wide open.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Panera’s Utopic Pay-What-You-Want Restaurant Dream Is Dead
Got a good chuckle out of this the other day.

My brother and his wife go to Panera all the time where they live. They typically order online and all you do is walk in, grab you bag and go. So they have had the issue several times where someone has simply walked in and grabbed their bag and Panera had to make a new batch of food for them. I honestly don't understand how they stay in business...

Butters is right, 2x!

Gosh, I can't believe the "pay anything you wish" model failed ... I was waiting for the car dealer to try it.

AA

As far as fast food is concerned, it's at the top of the list IMO. Their baked goods are decent, coffee is good and sandwiches/soups/salads are good. I also enjoy their sourdough bread.

I don't eat there regularly, but when I'm on the road and need some food, I hold out for a Panera before McD's, Burger King, Taco Bell, Subway or any other fast food garbage.

Is there better? Certainly. But there is a time and place for Panera.

I go to Panera once a week for a morning Bible Study and have been for almost a decade. I'm not crazy about their breakfast options. What I really want is a bran muffin or an egg with no bread.

My wife & I hit Panera every couple weeks when we don't want to cook, want something decent in a clean restaurant, and want to sit & not be rushed. We have several local restaurants that we hit regularly but sometimes a downshift at Panera is the right move. Plus, the cost is fractional compared to a usual night out. We hit it at ~7:30PM and there are very few there most on their laptop off to themselves. Suits us fine.

Regarding the food though, there are wild variations between locations. There are 2 we will not go to any longer. A sandwich in one is totally different than the same in a good one. Choice of lettuce (brown or old), amount of meat, cutting bread vs. ripping it in half, amount of whatever condiments put on, etc. Even the soups are different. I believe this comes down directly on the manager and how lax they are sticking to corporate menu/recipe instructions or plain old good judgement from their employees. Some don't give a rip and it shows in the food they sling out.

I'm in a university town and Panera's is a big thing. You can't pass by one and the lot isn't full of cars. I ate there once and found the food to be below average in taste and above average in price. Just don't see the fascination, but, oh well, different strokes for different folks.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
My wife & I hit Panera every couple weeks when we don't want to cook, want something decent in a clean restaurant, and want to sit & not be rushed. We have several local restaurants that we hit regularly but sometimes a downshift at Panera is the right move. Plus, the cost is fractional compared to a usual night out. We hit it at ~7:30PM and there are very few there most on their laptop off to themselves. Suits us fine.

Regarding the food though, there are wild variations between locations. There are 2 we will not go to any longer. A sandwich in one is totally different than the same in a good one. Choice of lettuce (brown or old), amount of meat, cutting bread vs. ripping it in half, amount of whatever condiments put on, etc. Even the soups are different. I believe this comes down directly on the manager and how lax they are sticking to corporate menu/recipe instructions or plain old good judgement from their employees. Some don't give a rip and it shows in the food they sling out.
What kind of psychopathic barbarian rips a sandwich in half? It should be cut, preferably with a diagonal line. :)

Panera is a big thing in a university town. We don't go there very often because it is always crowded and it can be difficult to get a table. They have started playing the music loud to run off the squatters.

Truly, I am just not a chain guy. However, met a former colleague for lunch yesterday and she wanted to meet at a Panera's. (I ate at one once, years ago, so yesterday was my second visit to a Panera Bread place.)

I don't get it. All the ambiance of an airport bistro or college cafe. Boring sandwiches, salads, soups. Prices seemed high for the meh food. I had something called a heritage ham and swiss sandwich. Pretty tasteless.

Amazingly, to me, the place was doing a very good business. Why? What do folks find attractive about Panera? Help me understand.

Mac
Here in St. Louis, where it was founded, it is called St. Louis Bread Company, but anywhere else it's Panera. I think a lot of the love for this place comes from the simple quiet atmosphere. I rarely visit anymore, but when I did, it was usually for a business power lunch/meeting. The food is bland, but it seems to satisfy the business professional.

Here in St. Louis, where it was founded, it is called St. Louis Bread Company, but anywhere else it's Panera. I think a lot of the love for this place comes from the simple quiet atmosphere. I rarely visit anymore, but when I did, it was usually for a business power lunch/meeting. The food is bland, but it seems to satisfy the business professional.

Had family on Dago Hill. Visited every other summer.

Top Bottom