What's new

Panasonic ARC5 ES-LV65

you all were right. Your skin get used gradually after a month. In fact my shaves are getting better and better. Always using lectric shave, today in just 4'02" i have a glass-like face. Astonishing, maybe you won't believe me but the sensation is even better than 3 passes with my preferred multiblades (flex 5 or dorco pace6). Really stunning.

i have an arc5 too (should be the same model) and i can confirm it shaves perfectly. Bought here from euronics seller at a good discount (just 109 euros) in early december. Best shave purchase ever for me.

It seems that Panasonic never discontinues a shaver. I bought my Panasonic ES8103 at least 6 years ago and it’s still available on Amazon. I paid about $80 for it and it’s still available for $59. It always gave me a great shave right up until the end.

So you have an arc3? It should be a very gogd shaver too. The beauty of my arc5 is that i have a perfect shave without irritation. Being a p.trainer i also perform a complete hair removal on my body using a philips oneblade.

I would still be using the Panasonic shaver if the battery would hold a charge. The ES8103 has all the same basic features as the Arc4 but fewer blades. I was going to replace it last April when I found the Braun on sale at Costco. I had been using Braun shavers for many previous years and decided to give them a try. I’m as happy with the Braun as I was with the Panasonic. I never buy the top of the line anything because I usually find that if I buy the top of the line I’m paying extra for bells and whistles that don’t add any value to the actual function. If I can get five years of use from a shaver and replace the cutters/screen cassette once, then a I’m happy camper.

A very bad update. After less than a month of use (twice a day) the blades already started cutting less , resulting in a much worse shave and several flat hairs missed. I followed all the instructions on how to perform the sonic cleaning to the letter but nothing worked. Euronics (the seller) agreed for a complete refund. So i'm back to my old (2016) trusty set of Fusion proglide - this time with the new addition of a brush and soap as a gift from my wife. At least for now i'm settled.
View attachment 1102456

Sorry to hear about your most recent experience with your Panasonic shaver. I’ve never had a problem with a Panasonic shaver’s cutters getting dull so quickly. Mine didn’t noticeably become dull until nearly 5 years of daily use. However, if you noticed a decrease in performance than this shaver is not for you.

even the new one gives me bad rash and i have a much faste regrowth. After a long "fight" with the vendor euronics i had been finally able to get a refund. Now i will just go on with my favourites fusion and mach3. neber again electrics.

Interesting report. In the US all the electric shaver manufacturers advertise at least a 30 day, no questions asked refund policy. Sorry to hear that policy is not universal. Good luck.

you all were right. Your skin get used gradually after a month. In fact my shaves are getting better and better. Always using lectric shave, today in just 4'02" i have a glass-like face. Astonishing, maybe you won't believe me but the sensation is even better than 3 passes with my preferred multiblades (flex 5 or dorco pace6). Really stunning.
Could you try Afta pre-electric and give us your thoughts on comparison with Williams LectricShave? I would be interested in your thoughts, since you really have given the electric razor time to work.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
It would be interesting for you to try Afta preshave and give us your thoughts on comparison to LectricShave.

Could you try Afta pre-electric and give us your thoughts on comparison with Williams LectricShave? I would be interested in your thoughts, since you really have given the electric razor time to work.

Having recently used both Lectric Shave and Afta, I can say conclusively Afta is better.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
I realize that this is an old thread, but I really enjoyed reading it. I bought the Panasonic Arc5 LV65 2nd generation electric shaver last month. I was really amazed with how close it got for an electric, I was able to achieve an BBS shave. But I can to confirm, that closeness doesn't last as many hours, as a proper DE shave does. But I am still getting a good enough shave with my Arc5, where I don't feel like I need to shave again same day. Infact, I don't even shave again the next day, I do 2-day shaves if I am using my Panasonic.

This month, I upgraded my Arc5 2nd generation shaver, with a 3rd generation gold roller foil. This resulted in a marginal improvement to the comfortability of the shave. Then I tried Lectric shave, which also only provided me a marginal improvement to comfort. I haven't tried Afta, I realize some have recommended it as being better then Lectric shave, but I haven't used it, so I can't speak on that. Then I tried out an artisan grade refined/whipped Shea Butter product, and that my friends, was the game changer I was seeking, and resulted in the most comfortable dry shave I have ever done in my life, with an electric shaver!

In regards to cleaning, there are two ways you can clean this shaver. Because these modern day electric shavers are wet/dry machines, you can simply activate sonic cleaning mode, and run the shavers under the tap. The water agitation combined with the sonic mode, will clean these shavers in very short order! Make sure to apply a few drops of oil to the blades and foil when your done, especially for the gold roller foils, so that you insure the rollers are able to keep rolling.

The other way to clean them, is the way that I usually do it. I remove the foil, use a brush to clean out the majority of the whiskers, then I use compressed air to blow them out, I often just use the computer cleaning air blower machine. Then I re-attach the foil. I have a small tupperware container that I put some Oster Blade Oil into, then I place the head of the shaver in that oil, activate the sonic cleaning mode. And the remaining whiskers and grim that were left, are cleaned out, and the shaver head is now lubricated as well.

I agree with the other's who have said that the cleaning station is a waste of money. I didn't buy mine with a cleaning station. Because its quite easy to manually clean these Panasonic shavers, no need to overthink it. My full review bellow, as well as my additional experience, and lots of photo's posted!

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
This month, I upgraded my Arc5 2nd generation shaver, with a 3rd generation gold roller foil. This resulted in a marginal improvement to the comfortability of the shave. Then I tried Lectric shave, which also only provided me a marginal improvement to comfort. I haven't tried Afta, I realize some have recommended it as being better then Lectric shave, but I haven't used it, so I can't speak on that. Then I tried out an artisan grade refined/whipped Shea Butter product, and that my friends, was the game changer I was seeking, and resulted in the most comfortable dry shave I have ever done in my life, with an electric shaver!

I bought my Arc 5 LV97 in April. Over the past few weeks it has been taking me longer and longer to shave, and the shaves have been noticeably less close.

I correctly diagnosed the problem and purchased a new set of foil and blades, the ES 9040.

I tried it out yesterday morning and I have got to say... wow. Like butter. The shave took all of 5 minutes. Closer than any DE razor I have ever used.

It's a pity the blade and foil did not last longer. Under 6 months is going to be more expensive than I had hoped for. But I can't argue with the resuls.

I bought my Arc 5 LV97 in April. Over the past few weeks it has been taking me longer and longer to shave, and the shaves have been noticeably less close.

I correctly diagnosed the problem and purchased a new set of foil and blades, the ES 9040.

I tried it out yesterday morning and I have got to say... wow. Like butter. The shave took all of 5 minutes. Closer than any DE razor I have ever used.

It's a pity the blade and foil did not last longer. Under 6 months is going to be more expensive than I had hoped for. But I can't argue with the resuls.
My previous shaver was a Panasonic ES8103 which gave close and comfortable shaves until I needed to replace the screen and the clutters. This was after two or three years of using the original ones. However, the cost of replacing them was very expensive. I could have bought a brand new shaver of the same model from Amazon for the price of a the replacement screen and cutters plus an additional $30. Instead, I switched to a Braun series seven shaver in 2019. Braun charges about $25 dollars less for the combination cutter/screen cassette. However, Braun’s screen is not made of stainless steel as are the ones from Panasonic. Therefore, I don’t ever use any water to clean the Braun shaver, even though it’s rechargeable battery powered, as I did the Panasonic shaver. It doesn’t make any difference because an electric shaver doesn’t require sterilization to be clean and sanitary . Electric shavers are similar in operation to a scissor rather than to a razor blade.

I have been shaving with screen type shavers since 1973 and always cleaned them by brushing out the cuttings. The first ones were all connected to the AC house current by a wire and using water on them was a good way to electrocute yourself. Once I started using the battery powered Panasonic shaver, I rinsed it weekly under running water. This only resulted in giving the shaver head a metallic odor. Braun, on the other hand recommends if you shave wet or rinse the cutter cassette that you lubricate the screen with light machine oil weekly. I just use and brush it out daily and forego the oil completely.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I am going to repost something from my journals thread, that will probably have relevance to those in this thread as well.

CzechCzar's cozy chalet AKA why my wife left me - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/czechczars-cozy-chalet-aka-why-my-wife-left-me.641497/post-12414736

--------------------

I recently purchased a Panasonic ES9040 Replacement Spare Blade Inner Outer set for my Panasonic Arc 5 electric razor.

The anticipated replacement schedule is 12 to 18 months. Mine barely lasted 6 months!! I guess this validates what I have always said on B&B, that I have a pirate beard. The razor started just not shaving closely, and, it left my face feeling hot.

I heavily researched the replacement blade. Panasonic has a dizzying number of replacements available. Rather than retire old blades, they seem to keep all or most of them in production.

I read up on Arc 5 blades on shavercheck - that guy is very thorough! - and pulled the trigger. The new head came and I have gotta say, it is a night and day difference.

Shaving is now quicker, easier, and closer, all by a factor of at least 50%. I would strongly recommend that any Arc users upgrade their blades!

--------------------

I have recently discovered something that I want to document.

Rather than using my Arc 5 in the shower, I opted to just shave before I took a shower for about a week.

I discovered something that I think will apply to many/most of us, who have good technique from using safety razors: the floating head results in a less close shave. This ran directly contrary to my expectations.

You can validate this quite easily. Shave over your face using the floating head, until you don’t hear anything else being cut. Lock the head and try shaving again. Dollars to donuts you will start to hear more hair being cut!

And, it's not a little difference. I got a shave almost as close as my shower shaves.

--------------------

Following up on this post, for documentation's sake...

Locking the pivoting foil in a fixed position increases efficiency to an insane degree. Shaving with my Arc 5 and a fixed head this morning following my usual route - first outside the shower, then wetshaving in the shower) gave the closest shave I have had in literally years. Zero irritation, still almost BBS 6+ hours later.

I think the addition of a Panasonic ES9040 head helped greatly. Switching to that upgraded head made a huge difference as well.

--------------------

Hope that some of you gents can replicate my outstanding shaves!

Top Bottom