What's new

Panasonic arc 6...wow

I would love to hear how closely it shaves, immediately.

What I mean by that is that it took me months to get into the swing of things with the Arc 5.

If you get BBS within a couple of weeks that is a good data point for me to bear in mind.
I'll let you know. It is supposed to arrive Saturday. My plan is to shave Friday with a fresh blade in the Blackbird, so I'll be starting with 24~36 hours growth.

Are either of you able to compare the Arc 6 versus Arc 5?

I have refined my methodology with the Arc 5 using experience wetshaving. The result is that I now get a closer shave with the Arc 5 than I ever did with a safety razor.

The Arc 6 has sincerely tempted me but is just too expensive to justify. The fact that the supply chain to buy replacement foils does not yet really exist in the US made the decision easier. But I am very curious how much it cost!
The arc 5 is great, the 6 is just more comfortable for me. Never any tugging sensations. I paid a whopping 500 for it and the cleaning station. If you ever want it for cheaper I'm selling mine for 325. Used the shaver maybe 12 times so the foil still has plenty of life. But otherwise I'd suggest just foregoing the cleaning station if you buy it new. I'm pretty sure the foil can just be rinsed and the extra 100 for a cleaning station isn't worth it. The shaver itself is the best panasonic I've ever used and blows braun out of thebwater

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
The arc 5 is great, the 6 is just more comfortable for me. Never any tugging sensations. I paid a whopping 500 for it and the cleaning station. If you ever want it for cheaper I'm selling mine for 325. Used the shaver maybe 12 times so the foil still has plenty of life. But otherwise I'd suggest just foregoing the cleaning station if you buy it new. I'm pretty sure the foil can just be rinsed and the extra 100 for a cleaning station isn't worth it. The shaver itself is the best panasonic I've ever used and blows braun out of thebwater
If the 6 is more comfortable, may I ask why you are selling it?

I would love to hear how closely it shaves, immediately.

What I mean by that is that it took me months to get into the swing of things with the Arc 5.

If you get BBS within a couple of weeks that is a good data point for me to bear in mind.
I can already get a comfortable BBS shave with the Arc6, Speick Electric Pre-Shave lotion, and daily shaving.

I have tried it after skipping a day, but I think after several days a quick trimmer pass on the neck would help. Haven’t tried the trimmer yet though.

I’ve only tried shaving in the shower with cream once. That was a very nice shave, but not my goal.

I bought the Arc6 because of two upcoming knee replacements. The doc is very concerned about nicks before surgery (because of infection risk), and I won’t be allowed to shower for awhile afterward. I wanted any easy way to comfortably maintain a good shave.

The results were pretty good even dry, though certainly better with Speick. I’ve used Lectric Shave before (though not with the Arc6), and I like Speick better.

While using the Arc6 with shaving soap/cream is the most luxurious, using Speick does have one technique-related advantage: while it’s slightly oily (though less than Lectric Shave I think), it is far less slick and protective than soap/cream. This allows more finesse for stretching a small patch of skin whichever way is needed to get THOSE hairs.

Of course, that would be true for any electric with Speick.

While using the Arc6 with shaving soap/cream is the most luxurious, using Speick does have one technique-related advantage: while it’s slightly oily (though less than Lectric Shave I think), it is far less slick and protective than soap/cream. This allows more finesse for stretching a small patch of skin whichever way is needed to get THOSE hairs.

Of course, that would be true for any electric with Speick.
Do you have the issue where a random neck hair gets painfully pulled every shave? I've been using my electric alot again and this issue is persistent. I have really coarse hair, as I am Armenian, and I think maybe some of my hairs are getting caught in the foil holes without being shaved and consequently being yanked or perhaps even epillated lol

Do you have the issue where a random neck hair gets painfully pulled every shave? I've been using my electric alot again and this issue is persistent. I have really coarse hair, as I am Armenian, and I think maybe some of my hairs are getting caught in the foil holes without being shaved and consequently being yanked or perhaps even epillated lol
I'll chime in on this with a parallel answer (if I may) even though the question wasn't for me. I'd been using electrics for 30+ years until I discovered wet shaving. I've had them all! Foil shavers and rotaries alike in all the brands. My last one was the Panasonic Arc 5 and that one had the issue that you mention (the Arc 6 just has an extra row of cutting blades as you know). All my foil shavers always did that. And of course the occasional ingrown hair (which has never happened again with wet shaving). So in the electric world, I found that the Norelco rotaries were always the winners in avoiding neck hairs getting tugged and less ingrown hairs too. The only issue was that the rotaries never shaved as close. But they're very quiet which is a big plus! And I've recently discovered that the latest Norelco's are a huge improvement over the older ones. I bought one on black friday (just because it was on a super sale and just to try it) and it's really really good. It's not what I normally use since I like wet shaving but I find myself traveling with it often when I want to avoid packing anything else. But of course, YMMV! Just something else to possibly consider!
Or of course just stick with DE's!:)

I'll chime in on this with a parallel answer (if I may) even though the question wasn't for me. I'd been using electrics for 30+ years until I discovered wet shaving. I've had them all! Foil shavers and rotaries alike in all the brands. My last one was the Panasonic Arc 5 and that one had the issue that you mention (the Arc 6 just has an extra row of cutting blades as you know). All my foil shavers always did that. And of course the occasional ingrown hair (which has never happened again with wet shaving). So in the electric world, I found that the Norelco rotaries were always the winners in avoiding neck hairs getting tugged and less ingrown hairs too. The only issue was that the rotaries never shaved as close. But they're very quiet which is a big plus! And I've recently discovered that the latest Norelco's are a huge improvement over the older ones. I bought one on black friday (just because it was on a super sale and just to try it) and it's really really good. It's not what I normally use since I like wet shaving but I find myself traveling with it often when I want to avoid packing anything else. But of course, YMMV! Just something else to possibly consider!
Or of course just stick with DE's!:)
I'm definitely not in the market for another high end electric unfortunately lol. My braun had this same issue. Keeps me from wanting to use it. Puzzlingly enough I never have this issue when I shave my head or face with it. Just the neck. It seems like it's the angle of the hair that's causing it. Might just go back to my de, it's a shame though cause other than this singular issue I enjoy my arc 6

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
I'm definitely not in the market for another high end electric unfortunately lol. My braun had this same issue. Keeps me from wanting to use it. Puzzlingly enough I never have this issue when I shave my head or face with it. Just the neck. It seems like it's the angle of the hair that's causing it. Might just go back to my de, it's a shame though cause other than this singular issue I enjoy my arc 6

The neck whiskers are the most difficult ones to get with any razor, whether electric, DE, or cart. When you MAP your beard, thats when you discover that the whiskers on your neck, are going all sorts of directions, like chaos in the universe. 😁

I have the Panasonic Arc5 electric foil shaver, before that, I used to use the Panasonic Arc4. What I discovered about electric shaving is, its really not that much different then using a DE razor. If you only went one direction with a DE razor, would you get all your whiskers in a single pass? Of course not! So what do most of us do? WTG, XTG, and ATG.

When you MAP your beard, you see all the directions your whiskers are going, which dictate which direction each pass your going to make is. On the neck, when using my Arc5, I have to do the same thing I do with a DE. I first go WTG, then I go DTG, then a little XTG, then a finisher ATG. If you watch a lot of YouTube wet shavers, you will notice they have to do the same thing.

But here's something else I discovered, that helps to get a better shave with a foil electric shaver. At least 5-hours before you do an electric shave, apply a solid layer of Shea Butter to your face and neck, rub it in real good. This helps to soften both the whiskers and skin, allowing for a smoother shave, its like a pre-shave that way.

Additionally, if you have really course thick whiskers like I do, please consider also using an official electric shave pre-shave product, so far I've only used Lectric Shave, which applies a thin bit of oil to your skin, which also helps, just apply prior to your shave, wait 15-seconds before beginning your shave after application.

If all the previous steps do not help you with using an electric foil shaver, please consider wet shaving instead of dry shaving with your electric. I have also done this, and this involves using a non-foaming shave jell product. If I do a wet shave with my electric, I personally use the shaving jell from Tomb45, stuff works pretty good, and is easy to clean out of the shaver afterwords.

Hope this helps!

Sorry, I haven't been online much since my surgery. Recovery and rehabilitation is a full-time job!

I have never had a problem with a pulled hair using the Arc6, and I've used it on up to 5 days or growth. When it's that long, there will be a few long hairs growing flat against the skin that it just won't pick up. However, those don't pull; they just don't get cut until I find just the right way to stretch the skin, but with effort those will be cut too.

Top Bottom