What's new

Panama Tubes

My brother (the one with all the money) bought me a very nice optimo for my birthday. It came boxed, but I was browsing for the best tubes so I can pack it for an overseas jaunt. Does anyone have a Panama packing tube they swear by?

I had to search those terms to understand that you are looking for a travel pack for your hat. I don't have a direct answer to your question, but I will take this opportunity to post a picture of someone famous traveling with his hat a few years ago.

I was going through airport security and an older gentleman had an odd shaped box on the floor, pushing it ahead as he was getting ready to put his gear on the belt and go through the body scanners. I did not recognize the odd shape so I asked him what was in the case. It looked like a musical instrument case, and I was interested to know what sort of exotic instrument he might be playing. I don't remember the exact words he spoke, but he replied that it was a hat, and not just any hat. I was a little confused and he started grinning and looked up from underneath the ball cap that he had been using to shade his face and said it belongs to the person who owns this company. Pointing at his t-shirt which read something like Blazing Saddles Productions. As I started to recognize who it was, he laughed and we had a short conversation. He had came into town for Comicon (Galaxycon) and was returning back home. Shortly later after I reached my gate, he came walking by and I was able to snap this quick photo of him carrying his hat case.
MB hat 20190728.jpg

Mel Brooks

I had to search those terms to understand that you are looking for a travel pack for your hat. I don't have a direct answer to your question, but I will take this opportunity to post a picture of someone famous traveling with his hat a few years ago.

I was going through airport security and an older gentleman had an odd shaped box on the floor, pushing it ahead as he was getting ready to put his gear on the belt and go through the body scanners. I did not recognize the odd shape so I asked him what was in the case. It looked like a musical instrument case, and I was interested to know what sort of exotic instrument he might be playing. I don't remember the exact words he spoke, but he replied that it was a hat, and not just any hat. I was a little confused and he started grinning and looked up from underneath the ball cap that he had been using to shade his face and said it belongs to the person who owns this company. Pointing at his t-shirt which read something like Blazing Saddles Productions. As I started to recognize who it was, he laughed and we had a short conversation. He had came into town for Comicon (Galaxycon) and was returning back home. Shortly later after I reached my gate, he came walking by and I was able to snap this quick photo of him carrying his hat case.
View attachment 1518993
Mel Brooks
That is a case of mistaken identity on my part above. The gentlemen pictured was joking around that day and never told me directly who he was, only giving me hints. I left thinking he was the owner of the production company associated with Blazing Saddles. Though maybe he was just pulling my leg, continuing to have fun. Or maybe the company owns that hat, and he is just borrowing the prop.

Looking deeper, I found a youtube recording of him at GalaxyCon and a few photos of him that I can recognize. Looking much more like the person I spoke with. A better photo of him that weekend wearing the hat from the protective case:
proxy.php

Burton Gilliam (aka Lyle)

The place I got mine from last week has this:

I'm in two minds about getting one.

Top Bottom