What's new

Panama Hat Suggestions

It's almost Panama hat season, any suggestion on where to find a really nice casual ready to wear Panama hat? I was going to buy from Panama Bob but he has been missing in action. Looking for an off white or something similar to the pic below. I have a small head, 6 7/8 and looking to spend up to $200. Thanks in advance!

$Light Toasted Panama Hat.jpg

strop

Now half as wise
I have one that color that I got at Goorin Bros. My only issue with them is that they only size their hats S,M,L,XL and I have to try then on. I've had great luck buying from Delmonico Hatters. Great service and very knowledgeable when I've talked to them by phone. The only Panama I have from them is by Borsolino (got a great deal on sale!). I have some lower end models from Panama Hats Direct, but on those the sizing is hit or miss. Haven't tried one of the higher end ones, though.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I'd say Brent Black, but you aren't going to get in for under $500. From everything I have heard, though, his $500 hat would cost you $700 from other people.

Nice Genuine Panama Hats are made in Ecuedor , and it's stamped under the sweatband , but some can get pricy like Montichristis (sp?) . Stetson has some nice ones in various styles on their site Stetson.com , I'm liking the new Hemp Hats , their's and others . You can even get custom made at most Custom Hatters , around that max price I'm guessing. No synthetic for me though , no way .

Last edited:
The only advise I can give is to not buy one that comes rolled up. No matter how much they tell you the hat will go back to shape, it won't.

I like that style as well. If I was doing it again today, it would probably be the Plantation or the Havana. I went with the Optimo because of the history. Also the fedora style I got was cheap on e-bay that ended up being from Panama Bob as well. lowest weave count of the three and gets the most use. holds it shape a lot better. The higher the weave count the floppy the hat gets. I think it would be fino or a super fino.
Johnny

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I like that style as well. If I was doing it again today, it would probably be the Plantation or the Havana. I went with the Optimo because of the history. Also the fedora style I got was cheap on e-bay that ended up being from Panama Bob as well. lowest weave count of the three and gets the most use. holds it shape a lot better. The higher the weave count the floppy the hat gets. I think it would be fino or a super fino.
Johnny
I think I am liking the Havana over the plantation- it seems to have a more rakish profile

It's almost Panama hat season, any suggestion on where to find a really nice casual ready to wear Panama hat? I was going to buy from Panama Bob but he has been missing in action. Looking for an off white or something similar to the pic below. I have a small head, 6 7/8 and looking to spend up to $200. Thanks in advance!

View attachment 649585

Nice Straw by the way ! Owen , Oh No ! I noticed it's my week to do Lunch with Springs1 ! YIKES !!!

Thanks for the information gentlemen. I had my heart set on a hat from Panama Bob but it looks as though he's been missing in action lately. I looked at a few hats a Goorin Brothers last year and they seem cheaply made and overpriced. Brent Black hat are very nice but more than I want to spend for a summer casual hat.

@alaskamcghee - I did find Panama Hats direct when I began looking last summer but was unsure of the consistency of their sizing and how quickly they ship. Will look at them more closely. Any tips when ordering? Thanks

I'm going to Chicago in August and plan on ordering a winter hat from http://optimo.com.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Thanks for the information gentlemen. I had my heart set on a hat from Panama Bob but it looks as though he's been missing in action lately. I looked at a few hats a Goorin Brothers last year and they seem cheaply made and overpriced. Brent Black hat are very nice but more than I want to spend for a summer casual hat.

@alaskamcghee - I did find Panama Hats direct when I began looking last summer but was unsure of the consistency of their sizing and how quickly they ship. Will look at them more closely. Any tips when ordering? Thanks

I'm going to Chicago in August and plan on ordering a winter hat from http://optimo.com.

Panama hats direct has a PDF that you can print to assemble a measuring tape that matches the one they use. They even include a circle that should match the size of an American penny to ensure that you have the scaling correct.

http://www.panamahatsdirect.com/arp/PHD-SizingChart.pdf

With any company I order from online I send them a general question first to see their response time.
I ordered mine about ten years ago.
if I remember they forgot to give me the shipping notification. But it did arrive on time. Other then that it was smooth as silk. Only odd thing was it came with a liner glued in. I poped it out within a day.
As for sizing I am a 59 LO so I usually order a 60 and let it shrink down to size. 60 fit like a glove from PHD.
Hope that helps.
Johnny

View attachment 649585

This hat looks similar to the Borsalino "Signature" Panama, which I think is a great hat:
$borsalino-brown-signature-brown-paper-panama-hat-product-1-2072601-368388131_large_flex.jpeg
I'm pleased to have weather again to enjoy it.

Top Bottom