What's new

Pan and knife vs hawk and trowel

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Hi guys!

I have been using pan and knife for drywall repairs for 15 years, but recently have seen a few YouTube vids of guys with hawk and trowel. The biggest difference that made me sit up and take notice was the ease of getting mud up on the wall/ceiling, and the lack of mud all over their face. Also the rigid trowel seem to give a flatter finish where a 12” or larger knife always bows a bit in the middle for me, giving a concave surface. That might be all technique of course with the knife.

So what do you guys think? I have a 16” skimming blade, some one piece stainless knives and a trowel in the Amazon cart. Just looking for other opinions before I pull the trigger. All my blue steel have seen better days so it’s time for an upgrade anyways.

Hawk and trowel for this guy.
I hate working out of a pan. Pain in the *** to clean, awkward to get material out without dropping any and miserable to try and hold.
They are only good for mixing small amounts of Sheetrock 20,45 and 90 then patching small holes.
I've been taping for 30 years now as a Carpenter, learned from a Lather and good friend albeit a little older than me.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I thought this was about self-defence from a hawk.

1585433142761.png

Oh well ... carry on.

Top Bottom