What's new

Pamplin Pipe Factory

Mike H

Instagram Famous
While I don't know the actual temperature I reached, for round 5, I sealed the air leaks, to provide a little more air flow. It was hotter, though I used whole briquettes, so there was a few spots on some pipes that did not get hot enough. If I do it again, I would crush the charcoal first. Over all I think this setup works well enough. Making stems was not a problem, but a little time consuming. A light touch is required.

proxy.php

Mike H

Instagram Famous
Found a little more history. The mold was oak, but lined with lead, that is how they got the smooth lines and designs on the pipe.

upload_2018-5-30_14-17-28.jpeg

Mike H

Instagram Famous
According to the above article (from Appomattox Virginia Heritage) In 1860, Jonh Hinds and Co. averaged 3 employess, producing 750,000 pipes per year. That means than each person made 800 pipes a day assuming they worked 6 days a week. Seems like a lot. If they worked 12 hour days that would be 66 pipes per hour.
It took me 2 hours to make 12 pipes. :lol:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
According to the above article (from Appomattox Virginia Heritage) In 1860, Jonh Hinds and Co. averaged 3 employess, producing 750,000 pipes per year. That means than each person made 800 pipes a day assuming they worked 6 days a week. Seems like a lot. If they worked 12 hour days that would be 66 pipes per hour.
It took me 2 hours to make 12 pipes. :lol:
Keep at it- you'll be there in no time :lol:

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Test fire #4. Using a cookie tin and a computer fan I made up a low flow air mover. Black pipe connected to the pail filled with charcoal and sawdust. Seems to be working well. I only put in 4 pipes is case things went south.
proxy.php

Sent from my LG-M255 using Tapatalk

Whoa . . . nifty fabricobbling

Mike H

Instagram Famous
FYI - do not microwave bamboo. It will catch fire in less than 90 seconds.

proxy.php

Seriously it stinks. Thank goodness the wife is asleep and the fire alarm did not go off.

Last edited:

Mike H

Instagram Famous
My growing collection of Pamplin Pipes...
Pamplin Pipe Numbers
#33 ,#9
#10, #13
proxy.php
proxy.php

Mike H

Instagram Famous
Here is a picture of the manufacturing building and the kiln in the background.

proxy.php

Mike H

Instagram Famous
Here is a picture of a pipe making machine. This one was from Point Pleasant OH. I see now how they could do 66 pipes an hour.

proxy.php

proxy.php

This mold is cast iron, with a lead center most likely...

proxy.php

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
You think one person made the 66 an hour using only one mold at a time? Or maybe they pressed several at a time?

Mike H

Instagram Famous
You think one person made the 66 an hour using only one mold at a time? Or maybe they pressed several at a time?
This is a single mold press. At the peak, it was reported in 1935 they made a pipes a month. Althought this number may have been inflated because the facility was placed in a public auction in 1938. I would imagine a multiple press would be needed for those numbers. The kiln could fire 200,000 pipes at one time.

Top Bottom