What's new

Palmolive?

I find that with Palmolive (the original green one) there is good lather but the glide function is inferior to Proraso and the moisturising effect is almost non existent. Proraso has a good lather, glide and moisturising effect. I use Palmolive only during travel since the tube is easy to carry. The scent is mild and not too bad. Smells more like ancient (1940's?).

Mason, are you also aware that the US isn't the only country which produces Palmolive? It's made in many, many countries all over Europe, as well as India, and the Middle East. It has a different kind of packaging, the scent is somewhat different, and there are also different varieties of it. There's also a Palmolive soap stick, which is made in Europe.

Jeff

crackstar said:
Mason, another thing. I don't soap up my face and leave it unrinsed a second time like it says on the tube, because I think that's a waste of time. I shave after a shower.

Jeff
Thanks. I didn't follow that bit in the directions either. I wondered if that's why I got all the nicks, but I'm sure it was just poor technique on my part.

crackstar said:
Mason, are you also aware that the US isn't the only country which produces Palmolive? It's made in many, many countries all over Europe, as well as India, and the Middle East. It has a different kind of packaging, the scent is somewhat different, and there are also different varieties of it. There's also a Palmolive soap stick, which is made in Europe.

Jeff
I had seen references to it being different in Europe. I'll keep trying to use it and improve my shaving technique. The whole wet shaving thing is new to me so I'm sure I'll continue to make mistakes and ask dumb question. :smile:

I purchased some Palmolive at the local CVS to tide me over till some better creams arrived by mail. It was OK, but I didn't care for the scent, either. Sniffed right from the tube, it was nasty, but whipped into lather it wasn't quite so bad.

Of course, since better product has arrived in the house, it has languished on the shelf unused. It is too easy to carry Proraso when I travel to use Palmolive. Just one man's opinion.

Were you building a good lather with it? The water:cream ratio differs among all of these products. I would recommend wasting a little bit of this hyper-affordable cream in order to experiment with lather building. There are some excellent tutorials on the subject hidden in previous posts around here.

Raj said:
I find that with Palmolive (the original green one) there is good lather but the glide function is inferior to Proraso and the moisturising effect is almost non existent. Proraso has a good lather, glide and moisturising effect. I use Palmolive only during travel since the tube is easy to carry. The scent is mild and not too bad. Smells more like ancient (1940's?).
Sorry Raj, I somehow skipped right over your reply. I assure you it wasn't intentional. I look forward to finding and trying the Proraso.

Gatorade said:
Good basic cream. Clean scent. When you factor in the cost then it is a no brainer to have a tube arround. I have 6....:redface:

It takes a little more work to get the good lather and the bowl helps. you can use a coffee mug next time. If you have something that has a round bottom then you will get the best results from that.

Sometimes when trying something new I don't get the best shave as well. You are mentaly comparing, smelling, feeling and not concentrating like you usually would. I go in to work at 12 on Sunday so I usually reserve Sunday morning for trial and testing of something I am not sure about. That way I can prep well and take my time and not be rushed. That makes up for the lack of concentration most times.

Don't give up on it is is a classic.

I would be worried about someone who's *** smelled like that by the way. :eek:
I somehow skipped you reply as well. I really should pay more attention. My apologies.

I'm sure my poor shave this morning was due in large part to distraction. We'll see how tomorrow goes.

And I agree, I would have deep concern about someone's arse emitting that odor. :laugh:

Dave Keith said:
I purchased some Palmolive at the local CVS to tide me over till some better creams arrived by mail. It was OK, but I didn't care for the scent, either. Sniffed right from the tube, it was nasty, but whipped into lather it wasn't quite so bad.

Of course, since better product has arrived in the house, it has languished on the shelf unused. It is too easy to carry Proraso when I travel to use Palmolive. Just one man's opinion.
All opinions appreciated and considered. Thank you.

jfm said:
Were you building a good lather with it? The water:cream ratio differs among all of these products. I would recommend wasting a little bit of this hyper-affordable cream in order to experiment with lather building. There are some excellent tutorials on the subject hidden in previous posts around here.
Thanks. I'm going to play around with it some more. I did get what I thought was a decent lather, but perhaps it could be better. Practice makes perfect as they say.

I think one problem I had with the nicks this morning was slowing down. I know I normally shave too quickly thanks to years of using cartridges, and was making an effort to go slower. Somehow this must have thrown my angle or pressure off (even though I was trying to not apply any) and caused the nicks.

Does this make sense to anyone but me?

MasonM said:
Does anyone use the Palmolive shave cream (red stripe)? I'm thinking about trying it whenever I can get a travel shave brush. Good? Bad? So-so?

I'd recommend using Proraso instead. You can find it at Target (look in the spa section), it lathers great and leaves a nice cool feeling behind. I can also recommend the Proraso A/S balm.

Capt. Pat said:
I'd recommend using Proraso instead. You can find it at Target (look in the spa section), it lathers great and leaves a nice cool feeling behind. I can also recommend the Proraso A/S balm.
Thanks. It seems that many people think highly of Proraso. I'm going to have to find a Target while I'm out on the road.

rc20007 said:
no lather & smells like ***, imho

crackstar said:
Mason, first of all, Palmolive doesn't smell like arse. I admit, it's not the most delightful scent there is, but it's clean-smelling and pleasant enough.

Don't argue guys. It's probably just a matter of your associates' differing hygenic habits. Nothing to worry about.

:wink:

Sorry, I couldn't help it.

:biggrin:

I was actually in CVS today, and bought some Palmolive (red) for chefchris.

I like the smell. It makes me think of my childhood, traveling, and my family. I can't pinpoint the exact thing it reminds me of, though. :confused: :biggrin1:

mrs. chefchris said:
I was actually in CVS today, and bought some Palmolive (red) for chefchris.

I like the smell. It makes me think of my childhood, traveling, and my family. I can't pinpoint the exact thing it reminds me of, though. :confused: :biggrin1:
Well, as long as it isn't arse... :eek:

tinmantt said:
Decent product, but so many alternatives, even at the local Target.

Yeah -- I used to use it for traveling, after Gillette stopped producing cream in a tube, but now that I've found out about Proraso, Musgo Real, and all the other excellent tube creams, I'll probably travel with one of those. Still, it gives a good shave. Actually, last time I travelled with some Palmolive (a couple of years ago) I ran out of it; I was in Greece, so I bought a tube of Kolynos (once a known brand in the U.S.) -- it's still in my dopp, as I haven't travelled much since, but is a very effective cream (though somewhat medicinal smelling).

Top Bottom