What's new

Palmolive?

Does anyone use the Palmolive shave cream (red stripe)? I'm thinking about trying it whenever I can get a travel shave brush. Good? Bad? So-so?

Austin said:
Not a bad shave cream. At a good price too.
Thanks, I'll give it a try when i finally obtain a good travel brush. The tube seems like it would be ideal in my shave kit.

Mason, my parents who live in Florida always send me a couple of tubes of it every year. It's a good, basic no-frills cream. You should check out the review I posted.

Jeff

crackstar said:
Mason, my parents who live in Florida always send me a couple of tubes of it every year. It's a good, basic no-frills cream. You should check out the review I posted.

Jeff
Will do. Still learning my way around this forum and just discovered the review section right after I posted this. Thanks.

Great lather, very slick. The only downside is the scent. It basically just smells like an unscented soap.

JMT said:
Great lather, very slick. The only downside is the scent. It basically just smells like an unscented soap.
Thanks. I've read that the scent isn't anything special. While that's a down side if it works well it may be worth carrying it in my travel kit while on the road.

I think I'll pick some up tomorrow and give it a try.

Hopefully it won't smell like arse. :eek:

Ok, a follow up question if I'm going to try it.

How does one use it? Apply it directly from the tube to the wet brush? Assume I don't have a bowl because, well, I don't.

I used it for the first time the other day (a friend from the US sent it up to Canada). It is a great cream, very slick, does everything it is supposed to. The scent strikes me as old fashioned. It isn't bad, you just have to learn to appreciate it.

MasonM said:
Ok, a follow up question if I'm going to try it.

How does one use it? Apply it directly from the tube to the wet brush? Assume I don't have a bowl because, well, I don't.

You can apply it to the brush or your hand from the tube. YOu can lather it up directly on your face or in the palm of your hand. The stuff is cheap so you really do not have to worry about wasting any lather.

JMT said:
You can apply it to the brush or your hand from the tube. YOu can lather it up directly on your face or in the palm of your hand. The stuff is cheap so you really do not have to worry about wasting any lather.
Ok, thank you. That makes sense.

I just got back from picking some up at CVS and am going to give it a try so your reply was perfectly timed.

MasonM said:
Ok, thank you. That makes sense.

I just got back from picking some up at CVS and am going to give it a try so your reply was perfectly timed.
I think I'd best just stick to my canned stuff for now until I improve my shaving technique. I used the Palmolive and for whatever reason wound up with a bunch of nicks I don't usually get.

Mason, first of all, Palmolive doesn't smell like arse. I admit, it's not the most delightful scent there is, but it's clean-smelling and pleasant enough. Second of all, I apply it to my brush, then I lather myself up.

Jeff

crackstar said:
Mason, first of all, Palmolive doesn't smell like arse. I admit, it's not the most delightful scent there is, but it's clean-smelling and pleasant enough. Second of all, I apply it to my brush, then I lather myself up.

Jeff
Thanks. I tried it and didn't mind the smell at all. It wasn't a fancy smell, but it smelled clean and not at all unpleasant.

I just need to work on my shaving technique more I guess. I don't nick myself when using the Neutrogena but got several nicks using the Palmolive today. Perhaps I was just distracted by trying something new.

MasonM said:
I just need to work on my shaving technique more I guess. I don't nick myself when using the Neutrogena but got several nicks using the Palmolive today. Perhaps I was just distracted by trying something new.

Did you let it sit on your face for a few minutes. I find that if I do that I get more lubrication because it has a chance to soak in.

Folie said:
Did you let it sit on your face for a few minutes. I find that if I do that I get more lubrication because it has a chance to soak in.
Hmmm, no I didn't actually. Thanks for the tip.

Mason, another thing. I don't soap up my face and leave it unrinsed a second time like it says on the tube, because I think that's a waste of time. I shave after a shower.

Jeff

Good basic cream. Clean scent. When you factor in the cost then it is a no brainer to have a tube arround. I have 6....:redface:

It takes a little more work to get the good lather and the bowl helps. you can use a coffee mug next time. If you have something that has a round bottom then you will get the best results from that.

Sometimes when trying something new I don't get the best shave as well. You are mentaly comparing, smelling, feeling and not concentrating like you usually would. I go in to work at 12 on Sunday so I usually reserve Sunday morning for trial and testing of something I am not sure about. That way I can prep well and take my time and not be rushed. That makes up for the lack of concentration most times.

Don't give up on it is is a classic.

I would be worried about someone who's *** smelled like that by the way. :eek:

Top Bottom