What's new

palmolive vs. proraso creams

I was wondering if anyone has used the palmolive menthol italian cream and how it compares to any of the proraso creams? does one have a better lather and scent than the other?

I am not aware of a Palmolive menthol cream. (Could you be thinking about C.O. Bigelow?) I have Palmolive Classic and it is wonderful. Great lather quality with a clean, fresh scent. Similar in quality to Proraso creams IMO but "better" is purely opinion. I like them all.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
To me Proraso is a simply superior product. If we now also consider the new "Single Blade" professional line of creams by Proraso, there is no competition at all. Just my opinion.

It's a long time since i used the Palmolive menthol (hard to find in the UK), but i do remember it was very cold - much colder than proraso green. Other than that, it was very similar to the regular Palmolive, which in my opinion works very well, but a bit dull, scent wise. The Proraso creams are also excellent (i haven't tried the new range) - i would use these over Palmolive because i prefer the scent of them all, but Palmolive is great value at UK prices (very cheap)

To me Proraso is a simply superior product. If we now also consider the new "Single Blade" professional line of creams by Proraso, there is no competition at all. Just my opinion.
Not seeing any reviews of the single blade creams yet. Have you reviewed any of them? I'd love a link if you have.

Best Wishes

Marco,
I hope the new line of Proraso creams becomes available in the U.S. soon!

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Not seeing any reviews of the single blade creams yet. Have you reviewed any of them? I'd love a link if you have.

Best Wishes

Sir, as soon as I'll get one of the new Proraso creams a review will follow up. At the moment I can only say that there is a lot of interest and enthusiasm here for the new "Single Blade" products.

Marco - Proraso is the most underrated shaving cream/soap that I have ever used. I have been D.E. shaving for 3 plus years now. After trying more than 100 soaps and creams, (artisan and commercial) I've come to the conclusion that Proraso is as good as it gets. The only thing that Proraso lacks is "snob appeal."

I love the Palmolive Menthol cream and I find it to be a lot better than Proraso Green. More menthol and skincare with a nicer scent.

Sir, as soon as I'll get one of the new Proraso creams a review will follow up. At the moment I can only say that there is a lot of interest and enthusiasm here for the new "Single Blade" products.
I'm sure excited to try them!

Marco - Proraso is the most underrated shaving cream/soap that I have ever used. I have been D.E. shaving for 3 plus years now. After trying more than 100 soaps and creams, (artisan and commercial) I've come to the conclusion that Proraso is as good as it gets. The only thing that Proraso lacks is "snob appeal."
I might agree. More scents were what was needed! Have you tried the new scents?

I used both and like both. Prefer the non-mentholated green tube the majority of the time. Enjoy the scent and performance. Find it much better than Proraso

Careful here.
Referring to Palmolive by colour can be misleading.
The green Palmolive tube denotes regular cream in Germany and most of northern Europe, but mentholated cream in Italy where the regular cream comes in a red tube.

I use both Palmolive and Proraso from time to time, find Proraso creams adequate, but not much more (dislike the excessive soapy residue they leave in the sink and in the brush), and had always a soft spot for Palmolive.
From when I used it last, I remember that mentholated Palmolive is not quite as much "in your face" as the more powerful and more artificial scent of Proraso.

B.

My understanding is that the Green "Classic" Palmolive cream is made in Belgium and distributed into most parts of Western/Central Europe. The soap stick is made in Germany and distributed into most parts of Europe (IMO, the soap stick is superior to the creams). The Red "Classica" cream and the green menthol version (Rinfrescante) is made in Italy. Then there is Palmolive "Sensitive" cream, which I believe is made in Romania (I could be wrong).

Although Palmolive "Euro" is a good cream which lathers easily and is a pleasure to use, I find it lacking a little in "slickness". IMO, Proraso is slicker and provides better performance.

Scents are very subjective and its good to have a variety to change it up a little. Can't go wrong with Palmolive scents - its simple, clean, maybe with a touch of mint. You'd think its purposely made this way so it appeals to the mass market. If you're ever in Europe, its available at budget pricing (less than the price of a cappuccino), so its definitely worth trying.

Palmolive is a good cream, but Proraso is a lot better, and the reason is simple: I don't think that giants like Palmolive or Nivea, care about their creams anymore. I mean, what are the chances for Palmolive to come in the market with a new cream or soap?
On the contrary, Proraso is a shaving company, they invest in developing new products for shaving, and they have my vote for that.

Top Bottom