What's new

palmolive vs. proraso creams

Marco - Proraso is the most underrated shaving cream/soap that I have ever used. I have been D.E. shaving for 3 plus years now. After trying more than 100 soaps and creams, (artisan and commercial) I've come to the conclusion that Proraso is as good as it gets. The only thing that Proraso lacks is "snob appeal."

+1

Why ask either/or when we should be saying both/and? In my experience all Proraso and Palmolive products are excellent in terms of value and performance. I use them all!

Ok, I bought a tube of regular Palmolive classic. Great cream. I have used it several times and I agree it has very good performance and scent. I think Proraso is a little slicker, but Palmolive may be a little richer and thicker in lather. Maybe cushioning is what I'm talking about? I have never understood that term completely. I like Palmolive classic! I have yet to grab the mentholated version.

Those who said proraso, I think I agree. I bought a tube of the palmolive menthol and I thought it was ok. I went to bath and body works and picked up 3 big 5 oz tubes of co bigelow for 20 dollars which is basically proraso green and I have to say, I do find it much better than palmolive menthol. It lathers much better.

I don't know if this thread is dead but I just wanted to let you all know that you can also buy Palmolive cream and stick on eBay. As long as you buy more than one tube, the cream can be had for less than $4.00 per tube shipped from our friends in the UK. Even if you only buy one tube it's $4.20 including shipping. The bad part is you have to wait 2 - 3 weeks for delivery. The stick is $2.80 including shipping.

i've not followed this thread in great detail, but can attest as follows!
I have vintage Palmolive cream, which is nice.
But nowhere close to the excellent quality of current Proraso Green!
palmolive sotd aug 16 2013.jpg
proraso green henckels stainless steel simpson keyhole amouage jubilee march 31 2016.jpg

Marco - Proraso is the most underrated shaving cream/soap that I have ever used. I have been D.E. shaving for 3 plus years now. After trying more than 100 soaps and creams, (artisan and commercial) I've come to the conclusion that Proraso is as good as it gets. The only thing that Proraso lacks is "snob appeal."
I agree. Ive been buying the bigelow version of it for years and it's as good a shave as you can get.

The Palmolive Menthol cream is also in the Balkan countries like Romania, Serbia, Croatia, etc as well as in Poland and Slovakia. The tube is blue and smaller - it's only 65 grams as opposed to the 100 dark green colored tube from Italy. This version is called Palmolive Cool but the cream is identical in scent, lather, and performance.

To me Proraso is a simply superior product. If we now also consider the new "Single Blade" professional line of creams by Proraso, there is no competition at all. Just my opinion.
+1 It's at least as good as any other top line product, the price is fantastic!

Is this Palmolive cream one that you would use without a brush, with a brush, or either way? What I mean to say is, can this be applied by hand for a good shave, or could you squeeze out a little cream onto your brush and then lather it up on the face?

Is this Palmolive cream one that you would use without a brush, with a brush, or either way? What I mean to say is, can this be applied by hand for a good shave, or could you squeeze out a little cream onto your brush and then lather it up on the face?
When I got home Friday night I was looking in my travel kit, the vintage one I actually reserve for traveling . . . and lo and behold, I found a tube of Palmolive that I'd bought a couple of years ago! So I tried it, dabbing a bit on my brush and then lathering up on my face, and it worked quite well. As I recall, I sidelined the stuff two years back because it didn't lather up very well on my face without a brush.

So I suppose I could buy a brush for travel, and use the Palmolive then; the tube would be easier to pack than a tub of TOBS, and give a better shave than a tiny travel-size can of Barbasol.

i rotate the palmo red and the pro green. totally different products. they are both high quality, just a pea-sized squeeze on the brush lasts three passes. very rich foaming. palmo is denser, of more subtle scent. pro is softer but very invigorating. i find the pro being easier to shave with since it is a bit softer. if id have to choose between the two, it'll probably be the prorasso.

Top Bottom