What's new

palmolive v wilkinson sword (shaving sticks)

Yea I agree the Palmolive is still a solid shaving stick although I do prefer the Palmolive shaving cream over the stick

By any chance do you know how much the Wilkinson sword shaving sticks used to go for?

I understand it was about 50p for the Palmolive stick
At Connaught in the UK, the Wilkie sticks were two pounds each when you got a pair of them.

At Connaught in the UK, the Wilkie sticks were two pounds each when you got a pair of them.
I guess the British pound was higher my last purchase?

I think I still have a couple unused backup Wilkie sticks. I would have picked up a couple more if I would have known they were being discontinued, but they seemed to quietly disappear before I saw a B&B thread announcing they were no more.

Reactions: saj
Have used both and even hoarded the Palmolive shave sticks when I heard that they were being discontinued.
It was a mistake because though the Palmolive is a good stick, I feel the Wilkie is far far better.
How many did you get? Lol

Wilkinson Sword sticks are great performers, one of the best sticks I'd say. Imagine a combo of Tabac with MWF. The scent unfortunately reminds me of strong bath soap, very artificial, which takes away from the overall score. If you leave the soap out for a few months, the scent tones down quite a lot.

Palmolive sticks are pretty much faultless at the previous asking price. There's nothing to complain about, but I though the Wilkinson Sword stick was better than the Palmolive.
I haven't used the tabac stick yet, is it the same as the soap or shaving cream?

Tabac soap is better then the cream YMMV

The Wilkinson Sword shave stick was definitely more expensive than the Palmolive stick. I think the last Wilkie sticks I bought came from the UK for 2/$9USD.

No, I haven't saved any money switching to this way of shaving. :001_rolle
Don't think many of us have lol 😆

I haven't used the tabac stick yet, is it the same as the soap or shaving cream?

Tabac soap is better then the cream YMMV
The Tabac stick seems to be the same soap as comes in the jar. They did change the formula awhile ago. The old formula had tallow, the new one doesn't.

The Tabac stick seems to be the same soap as comes in the jar. They did change the formula awhile ago. The old formula had tallow, the new one doesn't.
Yea heard mixed things about the new formula but I do have the older tallow one just haven't used it yet

£.50 is what I paid for Palmolive when I purchased it at a Super Drug in London in 2013. Crazy value! I’m sure the Wilkinson Sword stick was more expensive in Düsseldorf in 2019, but I can’t recall. Less than €2, I think. Another good value. La Toja is great for under €2.

I prefer the performance and scent of the Palmolive stick over the Wilkinson Sword stick. There isn't a huge difference between their lathers but to me the Wilky has a more chemically and artificial smell which I admit may be at least partially subconsciously induced due to the blue color of the soap.

Oh man I love both these sticks. Scent wise I would say they’re both lovely in different ways but if I had to choose I would have to take the Palmolive.

Rick

Top Bottom