What's new

PALMOLIVE stick

Scent profile? Performance?

1606724087190.jpeg

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Good all round in my opinion. I like the fresh soapy smell, it lathers up fantastically and cheap as well. I have a stick that I don’t use enough. What it smells like I will let someone else explain that. To me it just smells great.

Smells of fresh clean soap and is one of the slickest products out there. Sadly discontinued in the UK supermarkets. I guess that not enough people realised just how good it is.

It's an inexpensive, everyman soap in Europe. It has a very hard consistency so it's long-lasting. Good performance, slightly drying post-shave feel. Scent reminds me a bit of Irish Spring bath soap, but much weaker.

Speick, La Toja and Wilkinson sword sticks are better performers. I would place Palmolive close to Arko in performance, but with a less polarizing scent.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
It's probably my fave shaving soap scent, as it takes me back to my childhood when Palmolive bath soap was the only soap I knew.

It is a terrific soap stick. Palmolive, Speick, Wilkinson, Valobra, DR Harris, and La Toja are all excellent soap sticks. You can't go wrong with any or all of them.

It's an inexpensive, everyman soap in Europe. It has a very hard consistency so it's long-lasting. Good performance, slightly drying post-shave feel. Scent reminds me a bit of Irish Spring bath soap, but much weaker.

Speick, La Toja and Wilkinson sword sticks are better performers. I would place Palmolive close to Arko in performance, but with a less polarizing scent.

+1! Good summary! Palmolive is fine; I just prefer La Toja or Speick in terms of performance. :a29:

Smells of fresh clean soap and is one of the slickest products out there. Sadly discontinued in the UK supermarkets. I guess that not enough people realised just how good it is.
@smudge - it’s available in Asda, Tesco, and I got three sticks recently in Wilko. So fill your boots! (Don’t think Boots sell it tho’...😬)

Al.

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
I am currently working on 3017ing a stick. I got a while back. I couldn't get a good lather from it by face lathering so for this 3017 I crushed it into a dip bowl. That solved the lathering problem, but I find it rather drying and the scent is not as strong as the cream (I always have the cream on hand because my dad used it). I have another week or so left, but I will not be replacing it.

@Roedeer might come to this thread and share his opinions. He is using it quite often.
I find it bowl-lathers very easily, performs much the same as Arko (very well for me), and has a low-key nostalgic "bath-soap" scent. Face-lathering doesn't agree with me, so I can't comment on that.

People who object to the strong Arko scent might be happier with this one.

I've avoided the Wilkinson stick because their widely available puck in the blue case performed badly for me (hard to lather, no cushion), but from Atlantic59 and Owen's comments, maybe Wilkinson's stick is a better formula of soap.

Last edited:
IMHO, these Palmolive sticks are the best "cheap" shaving soap...of course, not so cheap here in the "United" States, but my Brother-in-law picked me up half a dozen of them last time he was in Europe. Light years above MonSavon, the other inexpensive one in Europe.

I've avoided the Wilkinson stick because their widely available puck in the blue case performed badly for me (hard to lather, no cushion), but from Atlantic59 and Owen's comments, maybe Wilkinson's stick is a better formula of soap.
[/QUOTE]

That Wilkinson stuff in the Blue Bowl is...by far...the worst shaving soap I have ever tried. Unusable. Better off using shower soap.

I am currently working on 3017ing a stick. I got a while back. I couldn't get a good lather from it by face lathering so for this 3017 I crushed it into a dip bowl. That solved the lathering problem, but I find it rather drying and the scent is not as strong as the cream (I always have the cream on hand because my dad used it). I have another week or so left, but I will not be replacing it.
Mike, along with rubbing the stick on your face have you tried pre-loading your brush with it?. I always got a better lather.

Sent from my SM-A705U using Tapatalk

I do like the Palmolive shave stick - great performance, simple clean and pleasant scent and almost absurdly cheap.

The Wilkinson Sword stick is also very good and is a completely different product to the much inferior bowl.

Makes you wonder why they don't use the same formula for that really....

Top Bottom