What's new

Palmolive Shaving Cream

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Just want to give a shout out to the Palmolive shaving cream line. There are 3 that I like (I think that's the whole line): Classic, Sensitive Skin and Mentholated. All are equally good, nice dense lather, slick and protective but won't clog your razor and very, very creamy. The scents are pretty old school but very pleasant. They are about $8.00 for a tube and for me, work easily as well as any of the big English Ts. I find myself reaching for them over and over again. I'd certainly pay twice as much for a tube- I like them that much. Has anyone else tried these shaving creams?
Palmolive Classic is about all I use any more. It is about $17 for 6 tubes on Amazon.

I'm finding myself enjoying the "Sensitive Skin" version more and more. The scent is sublime and it goes on like thick sour cream- very protective and doesn't dry on the face. Doesn't lather up like others but the density of the cream is wonderful. The Sensitive version is harder to find but I just picked up a 3 pack on the Bay from Germany. Glad to hear others are enjoying these creams as well!

It will lather without a brush. One technique is to lather it between your wet palms first and apply it to the face, then add a bit more water to get the lather where it should be.

+1. This works great. My travel kit is Palmolive cream and a cart. Perfect shaves in any water without a bunch of gear or fuss.

Reactions: abj
I used the Palmolive Classic cream in the tube this morning and developed a great lather with my brush. As a pre-shave I put a little of the cream on my wet face, and I can imagine that I could massage up a pretty decent lather with my fingers if need be. Good stuff.

I used the Sensitive Skin version last night. Really nice scent and skin protection with the aloe vera,

Great product whatever the variety. Green Classic Palmolive Cream is still available in lots of places here in Scotland (supermarkets and small pharmacies alike) for a very low price. In my local pharmacy it is £1.79 ($2.25 approx) for a tube. Crazy price for such a great product! But I have noticed that the Palmolive sticks are far less common than they used to be. My dad really likes the stick and I have had issues finding it in physical shops here recently.

For those in the US who are curious about the scent of Palmolive Classic (mine is in a green package), you can find Palmolive bar soap at Dollar Tree. The scent of the bar soap is not as nice (more soapy smelling), but the base smell is very similar to what you can expect from the shave soap.

My only experience is with the green package, non-menthol. Not sure if the sensative skin version is different, but I'm sure someone can chime in with that.

I'm still glad I bought it, but had I known it smelled similar to their bar soap, I could have spent my $6 on something else. In the meantime, I'll enjoy some great shaves from it!

I ordered 6 Sensitive version from Amazon Germany for £4.91, used Prime trial for free delivery. I think delivery would've been around £4 if I didn't use the trial.

Delivery using prone trial from Germany to UK was 2 days.

Great price considering the price the Sensitive version is being sold for on eBay UK (£15 for 6)

IMG_20201015_123759.jpg

Last edited:
I'll need to pick up another tube of this. My most recent purchase is 1967 Travel Tech in its little gold snap case; it fits nicely into a shaving wallet that I bought some years ago. Toss in a tube of Palmolive, and I'm set for a road trip.

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
Love Palmolive Classic, my father used it and the smell of it still reminds me of him so I always have a tube handy.
The sensitive has a more subtle scent but still gives a great lather and at €3.99 a tube it's a no brainer

Used the Classic again this morning on a 48-hour beard. Troubles? None. Smooth face and throat? Check.

Thanks to the cream's greenish color, I keep expecting it to smell like Crest toothpaste. But that's just me.

Cheap to buy and performs very well. I used it last night.

RR Lupo
Omega 10051
Palmolive Classic Men
Feather (5)

2 passes, WTG

Tonight I shaved with...

...cold water!

With the words comfort, comfort, comfort on my mind I did no skin stretching first pass and used as little pressure as possible. No tugging, not even at my lower lip but Feather's are still not my favourite blade. Still, a no fuss pass. A quick wipe with a wet left hand and I relathered. The second pass was awesome. Very, very smooth, incredibly comfortable and most suprisingly of all, zero irritation. I felt a momentary sting at the top of my neck and on the point of my chin, left side when I rinsed. Probably where I pressed down a bit. If I used alum I suppose that's where I'd feel it.

Each to their own as they say, but for me, this was a fantastic shave. Post shave my skin feels as cool and comfortable as I could ask for. No redness anywhere. Ace. And it was all done in just under twenty minutes, from the minute I walked into the bathroom till the moment I left, including cleaing the sink etc. Less than half the time it normally takes me and I used a lot less water too! Bonzer.

The European cream is good stuff, I think there are a few versions of the Euro one..or at least there was.

The normal average shaver can use this and see nothing wrong with it. The board members..well that's a different story.

It’s one of my favorite go to creams. Excellent performance and the scent is nice and clean. But what I do I know, I’m a sucker for mass produced drug store shave products and 40’s tto razors. While still rather young, I guess that makes me “old school”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s one of my favorite go to creams. Excellent performance and the scent is nice and clean. But what I do I know, I’m a sucker for mass produced drug store shave products and 40’s tto razors. While still rather young, I guess that makes me “old school”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think there is something to be said for this given the onslaught of new soaps and products that flood the market each year. The mass produced items that lead the way are always under attack by people on the boards as they compare them to some new scent or product. Most work fine or as good as any expensive item of today.

You bet! I have multiple tubes of the Classic as they used to be sold in most of the supermarkets in the U.K. for about £1.85, so it became a habit to pick up a tube once a month on average! It’s a superb cream for the price though.
Well before I started shaving with creams and soaps I actually used to use Palmolive’s sensitive shaving foam in a can and it was pretty good stuff.

View attachment 1108421
I think the Italian made menthol is brilliant and I don’t mind paying a few £ extra for it.
Is it still about in supermarkets in the UK? I never see it tbh

Top Bottom