What's new

Palmolive shave stick

Bought a Palmolive Stick today, used it and I think it is a great product, the smell reminds me of standing and watching my father shave in the 1960s.

My concern is that there are rumors that it is being discontinued and I cannot see any mention of the shave stick on the Palmolive website.

At the risk of sounding like a hoarder, if it is being discontinued I will buy up the stocks in local stores although they only appeared to have a couple left on the shelves.

Does anyone know if the days of the Palmolive stick are numbered?

Last edited:
I used my Palmolive stick yesterday and it was very thirsty. It took a lot of water to get it right.

your right they do drink a lot ..
more than oliver reed on a night out . but they last ages and are one of my top 6 mind you I have never bought 6 soaps .

Bought a Palmolive Stick today, used it and I think it is a great product, the smell reminds me of standing and watching my father shave in the 1960s.

My concern is that there are rumors that it is being discontinued and I cannot see any mention of the shave stick on the Palmolive website.

At the risk of sounding like a hoarder, if it is being discontinued I will buy up the stocks in local stores although they only appeared to have a couple left on the shelves.

Those rumors have been floating around since like 2014 if not longer and have no basis whatsoever in fact

I get them from here and they still have plenty it seems:

Palmolive Men Classic Shave Stick 50g x2

Well here's what happened with Palmolive shave stick.
The stick is made in Germany and fully available in UK.
Big groceries in UK buy the stick cheaper via resellers and not straight from Palmolive. So Palmolive decided to reduce the amount of the stick in UK to reduce their costs. That's why people think it might stop.
But certainly the stick won't stop.
It's a nice and cheap soap and believe it or not people love it. The company won't stop selling this soap at least not soon.

I hope it's still available; my Palmolive stick is now down to a stub and I'll need to get a replacement soon!!

Speaking of associating the scent with watching your father shave...when I got my Palmolive stick, my wife looked at it, sniffed it, and said that her dad used Palmolive way back when she was a little girl.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I hope it's still available; my Palmolive stick is now down to a stub and I'll need to get a replacement soon!!

Speaking of associating the scent with watching your father shave...when I got my Palmolive stick, my wife looked at it, sniffed it, and said that her dad used Palmolive way back when she was a little girl.
That's cool that her dad used it.

Tradition is what I love best about wet shaving.

I grated a couple sticks into a tub years ago and took it out for some shaves this summer . I love it. Palmolive is the stick my dad used when I was a kid .
I need to buy a dozen or so sticks and put them away .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, Palmolive stick and Tabac aftershave.
My dad shaving in 1959.....

It is surprising what vivid memories the sense of smell can create.

B.

Guys I told you what happened with Palmolive rumors. It's just a few post above this.
There is no intention from Palmolive to stop their shave stick. At least in the near future.

Guys I told you what happened with Palmolive rumors. It's just a few post above this.
There is no intention from Palmolive to stop their shave stick. At least in the near future.

I cannot find the product on any Palmolive websites and I can see your point that the company has restricted supply, its a low volume niche product compared to all other Palmolive products and doesnt fit well in the whole scheme and style of other Palmolive products. When I see the shave stick on the shelves it tends to be just one or two items, and they look as if they have been there a while with the packaging in less than new condition.

Therefore it has all the hallmarks of a product nearing the end of its life, low price, low sales, low profit and newer and more profitable product lines being deprived of shelf space.

You can understand the concern that a much loved product appears to be stopping production.

---

ETA, subsequent to typing this post I have found a letter from Palmolive Germany in 2015 on the subject of the Shave Stick which states, in part,

'We regret to inform you that the product you are interested in is not currently being manufactured. In response to decreased consumer demand, we sometimes have to stop manufacturing a product. Unfortunately, we do not have any remaining stock to offer you directly. '

Last edited:

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I cannot find the product on any Palmolive websites and I can see your point that the company has restricted supply, its a low volume niche product compared to all other Palmolive products and doesnt fit well in the whole scheme and style of other Palmolive products. When I see the shave stick on the shelves it tends to be just one or two items, and they look as if they have been there a while with the packaging in less than new condition.

Therefore it has all the hallmarks of a product nearing the end of its life, low price, low sales, low profit and newer and more profitable product lines being deprived of shelf space.

You can understand the concern that a much loved product appears to be stopping production.

---

ETA, subsequent to typing this post I have found a letter from Palmolive Germany in 2015 on the subject of the Shave Stick which states, in part,

'We regret to inform you that the product you are interested in is not currently being manufactured. In response to decreased consumer demand, we sometimes have to stop manufacturing a product. Unfortunately, we do not have any remaining stock to offer you directly. '
Well, looks to me like I need to order some from India on the Bay. Just gotta make sure I get to the mailbox before the War Department.

I think this makes sense, a low cost product that you know you will like and use, no direct replacement. There is some doubt about future availability and supply is limited, it is not as if what you buy can go to waste.

I know of three or four retailers that are likely to stock Shave Stick and intend to buy what I can, whilst I can.

---

Proof or stop posting rumors. The thing you copy-pasted, I first saw on Sharpoligist blog in 2012, and I see no reason to believe it's real.

More recent correspondences have said the complete opposite.

User "Jens" here in June 2019:
I am a big fan of this stick, so I took contact to the Colgate-Palmolive company and asked (twice!) if they could confirm this rumor. Fortunately their answer was (both times), there are NO plans to stop production of the green shave stick.

Paul from Connaught Shaving:
The Palmolive Classic line is not distributed in the UK by Colgate. It is purchased directly by Wilko, ASDA etc and they distribute it. If Colgate UK have delisted the line its because no one buys it through them anymore. I try to tell people when they ask but we are still getting many doomsday like purchases.

Also it is definitely still on the Palmolive website: Rasierseife Men Classic - https://www.palmolive.de/products-range/men-s-care/palmolive-for-men-classic-shave-stick

good to know....i would still like to have 3 or 4 sticks in my soap storage box anyway. If nothing else because the scent reminds me of my father.

Proof or stop posting rumors. The thing you copy-pasted, I first saw on Sharpoligist blog in 2012, and I see no reason to believe it's real.

More recent correspondences have said the complete opposite.

A bit more aggressive than I would have hoped for on a friendly website.

Not sure what thats about.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I think this makes sense, a low cost product that you know you will like and use, no direct replacement. There is some doubt about future availability and supply is limited, it is not as if what you buy can go to waste.

I know of three or four retailers that are likely to stock Shave Stick and intend to buy what I can, whilst I can.

Buy it up as it does tend to keep rather well, I've had a number of the sticks for close to eight years just in case ... no degradation of any sort noticed, Vac.

Top Bottom