What's new

Palmolive shave stick discontinued (in UK & US)

This information was posted recently by BullGoose in his vendor forum but I didn't see a proper post about it in the shaving soap forum so I thought I would write it here...

It seems that Colgate has discontinued the legendary Palmolive shaving stick in the UK and US (for the stateside vendors that stocked it). For fans of the product, the good news is that it looks like they will continue production and distribution of the soap in Germany (and the rest of continental Europe??). This will likely make it more difficult and expensive to get.

I have been using the stick lately and think it has the edge over Arko for the best shaving soap for the price. It may be time to stock up if you like using it.

Too bad.

I've got enough Arko (if that's even remotely possible) that I'm not in the market for a good, cheap stick, but I recall being impressed with the Palmolive that I tried.

It's good that it's still in production someplace, but just like with Indian Old Spice, that can change quicker than a Veg thread can South in the aftershave forum.

I hope they won't discontinue it altogether!

Bad enough for the non-continentals as it is now, but you could still have it imported from Europe.

Fiji was the first to halt production,then the UK.I wonder if the stick is still being manufactured in Australia ?

Was the Palmolive stick ever made in America? As far as I know, it's still being sold in the rest of Europe. I have three of them and hope to be able to keep buying them.

Was the Palmolive stick ever made in America? As far as I know, it's still being sold in the rest of Europe. I have three of them and hope to be able to keep buying them.

No. The European Palmolive shave stick was/is manufactured in Germany. It contains tallow and was widely distributed in the UK and had VERY limited distribution in the US (only to the niche wet shaving vendors on this site that bought some). Distribution was discontinued in the US and UK due to poor demand. It looks like it will continue to be available in Germany and possibly in the rest of continental Europe (mainland Europe, i.e. non-island nations or Scandinavia). The significance here is that it will now be more expensive and difficult to get in the US...and also, is this the first step taken before it will ultimately be discontinued altogether?

The Australian version of Palmolive shave stick is non-tallow based and I have heard anecdotal reports that it does not deliver as good a shave as the European version (this does not mean that tallow is the be-all end-all), but I have not used it myself. I find that the European Palmolive stick gives the best shave for the price of any soap I have ever tried.

Seems like an odd time to discontinue. I would assume the rise in wet shavers would make it more viable to sell the product than five years ago? Unless there are a lot of holdouts converting to cartridges in Europe...

No. The European Palmolive shave stick was/is manufactured in Germany. It contains tallow and was widely distributed in the UK and had VERY limited distribution in the US (only to the niche wet shaving vendors on this site that bought some). Distribution was discontinued in the US and UK due to poor demand. It looks like it will continue to be available in Germany and possibly in the rest of continental Europe (mainland Europe, i.e. non-island nations or Scandinavia). The significance here is that it will now be more expensive and difficult to get in the US...and also, is this the first step taken before it will ultimately be discontinued altogether?

The Australian version of Palmolive shave stick is non-tallow based and I have heard anecdotal reports that it does not deliver as good a shave as the European version (this does not mean that tallow is the be-all end-all), but I have not used it myself. I find that the European Palmolive stick gives the best shave for the price of any soap I have ever tried.

The Australian stick is still on the shelves but I don't know if it is still being manufactured. It is a very satisfactory shave soap, not top tier but nevertheless an extraordinary value.

Haven't used the European version so I can't compare, but I have stocked a couple of cartons of the Ozzie version for trading purposes should a shavepocalypse :wink2:eventuate.

Still available in Sweden (expensive though, like most goods in Sweden).

$uploadfromtaptalk1433247352105.jpg

Palmolive stick, next to the Omega shaving soap. The excellent HEGA aftershave (recommended!) is one shelf up.

I think we've seen posts along these lines since at least the beginning part of this year, but on my recent layover in London last month, I noticed them still on the shelves of two different Tescos I was in.

If I was lucky enough to be in the UK and found a Tesco I'd buy Palmolive shave sticks by the gross.

Agreed. Lifetime supply?? Easily at European prices. It's one that could be the "only soap you'll ever need" (anti-BB philosophy I know).

Top Bottom