What's new

Palmolive shave stick disappearing in UK. Any places to buy from cheaply?

I had a few sticks that i bought for £0.50 a while back. Now no supermarkets in the UK are carrying them anymore at all and its available on amazon and ebay for quite a lot more. (about £3 each).

Are there any german or eastern european stores that I can order online from for the same price plus shipping on top. I'd really appreciate any help as I really like palmolive.

connaught ships from ireland, sells - Palmolive, Arko, Derby, Wilkinson Sword, and LEA sticks in x2 packs-

No worries, Connaught's Shaving in the UK has them. Shipping is reasonable.
palm.png

Le roi est mort, vive le roi!

Plenty to choose from. For your next ... "I really like"

I do try and experiment with new soaps if
I see any but the Palmolive was a cheap good one that I liked to have a few laying about.

Did get tabac and cella finally as I’ve never tried those before. Only used a few creams and Wilkinson soap (smells nice, bad performance) that I started with, proraso green had too much menthol for me.

I am planning on ordering a few Mitchell’s wool fat soaps next week though.

Which ones would you recommend?

Which ones would you recommend?
There are so many good ones, it is hard to know where to begin.
If you like sticks, La Toja from Spain is one of the best.
Definitely try at least one flavor of Haslinger, depending on what you like. Schafmilch is similar to MWF, but easier to lathe. Haslinger Aloe Vera is good, as are their other ones.

...Palmolive was a cheap good one...
I know. That's what I call value, and in my opinion, Palmolive stick was the king of value in the shavedom. Reason why I have some 39 of these puppies just "lying around".

...I am planning on ordering a few Mitchell’s wool fat soaps next week though...
Start with one, believe me.

...Which ones would you recommend?
Nothing else will come close to £0.50, at the same quality. But, you seem to have taken the proper path, since it's all about the journey.
La Toja, LEA , Valobra, Speick are sure bets. If you consider pucks, well... wallet and scent are the limits. MWF is excellent value, so is Tabac, so is DR Harris. And the list go on.
Remember, value does not stop at the initial price tag. I like Palmolive stick grated and I get around 60 shaves. I hear that one used as a stick could last up to 100 shaves, maybe more. Hard to beat that indeed, especially if you are dead set on the scent. In the big scheme of things, in our bubble western world, pennies don't count.

Good luck on your quest, and try to enjoy the journey.

Reactions: abj

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
My local Wilko has stopped selling it. I have a dozen stashed away though, and as it's a secondary soap for me (Mitchell's is my primary), they should last me many years.

I haven't been in Superdrug lately, but last time I went in there, they had them at 75p each.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
I know this soap can be grated and pressed into a tube. Can it also melt into the push up tube shape?

With tallow, you have to be VERY careful when melting. Double-boiler works, but microwaving can easily lead to trouble. I stick to grating (even if they are melt'n'pour) when transmogrifying soaps.
1581288596175.png

My local Wilko has stopped selling it. I have a dozen stashed away though, and as it's a secondary soap for me (Mitchell's is my primary), they should last me many years.

I haven't been in Superdrug lately, but last time I went in there, they had them at 75p each.
superdrug where stopping selling it and have removed it from their web site too.

Thanks a bunch for the helpful responses everyone. Will definitely check out a few more local wilkos and superdrugs on the weekend then. Although, its a great opportunity to find some new soaps.

Oh, my apologies. Forgot to mention Arko, which is, in my opinion, a great contender.
I didn't like the smell of arko. If you're in the UK I have 4 or 5 sticks of arko that I'm happy to post to you if you don't mind covering shipping.

Top Bottom