What's new

PALMIRA blue cube : REVISITED !

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
... I saw one of these on eBay and wondered how the heck to use a cube of soap.

I cut off a thick slice and paste it to the bottom of a lather bowl or shaving mug. Works great, as does the soap -- I just used it again this morning.

You could always rub it on like a shave stick.

Mine looks like this after about five days. Another slice can easily be stuck on before it's gone.
full

I bought Palmira soap in Bosnia for less than 1$ a year ago. I liked the scent but I was not very happy with the lather.

The soap expired a few months ago and the color of the soap changed a bit as you can see on picture (probably some water got under the soap).

I decided to give it a shot with a cheap synthetic brush I bought from ebay for 4$ and I was surprised.
The lather was great and slick. I didn't shave with it because I lathered it on my hand just to see if the soap is still usable.

In my case, the lather just needed more time and water.

IMG_20210413_134047.jpgIMG_20210413_140141.jpg

linty1

My wallet cries.
Interesting! I just clicked "checkout" on the bay on a cube of this stuff, coming from Serbia (I suspect we're all buying from the same vendor, there aren't many listings for it.

Combine the two cubes into one and put some soap in the box. Before shaving, pour a little hot water on the soap and leave for 5-10 minutes. salt and work the foam until you get the same as in the picture above, greasy and thick, do not overdo it with water,
3-4 drops when you see that water is needed. You will have an excellent shaving and post shave effect.

I got myself some of this soap about a year or even more ago. I could not get that thing to lather. I could get thick, dense, creamy paste. No problem making that. As soon as I opened my tap to sprinkle some water in it...GONE! It just bubbled and disappeared the moment I add any water to it.

I tried near everything. From dry soap and brush, to dripping wet brush, cold and hot water blooming and lathering...nothing would help. Just because of stubborness I did do 1 shave but then I trashed it. Maybe I should try working the lather for 5+ minutes, but I have no patience for it. Actually felt bad for discarding it, but I figured there was really no sense in keeping it.

I got myself some of this soap about a year or even more ago. I could not get that thing to lather. I could get thick, dense, creamy paste. No problem making that. As soon as I opened my tap to sprinkle some water in it...GONE! It just bubbled and disappeared the moment I add any water to it.

I tried near everything. From dry soap and brush, to dripping wet brush, cold and hot water blooming and lathering...nothing would help. Just because of stubborness I did do 1 shave but then I trashed it. Maybe I should try working the lather for 5+ minutes, but I have no patience for it. Actually felt bad for discarding it, but I figured there was really no sense in keeping it.
You may have got one of the old "duds" like I did, don't give up, this is good soap. Buy one from Amazon and if it's also a dud get a refund.

linty1

My wallet cries.
It arrived! Its a little smaller than I had pictured in my head, but I guess I didn't know what to expect:

A24CAD73-BA79-42F1-8D5C-2E62E2FB3A83.jpeg

I'm a "use one at a time" soap person so this will have to wait (I'm currently using a puck of mwf) But looking at that lather @neboja made looks promising.

Put soap in a box like this. Pour over hot water and leave for 5-10 minutes. Filling with which a drop of water synthetics makes the best foam, go to MUG and add a little water with your fingers. It takes effort, but it pays off.
f.jpg

linty1

My wallet cries.
That tin is a great idea, I had thought about putting it into one of those little scuttles with the holes underneath and face lathering?

linty1

My wallet cries.
Just posting an update for future searches, but repotted the Palmira and it's been a lot easier to lather, and yes, hot water helps:

thumbnail_IMG_8397.jpg

It's lovely soap.

Top Bottom