What's new

Palmindaya shave cream: first impressions

$Palmindaya x.jpg
This is a product that was genuinely fun to review. It is a no-nonsense and wonderful cream reminiscent of great barber shop staples like the J.M. Fraser line. It packs a wallop of menthol that’s unmistakable and strong enough to smell at arm’s length and beyond. Whether or not the scent is for you, I’m sure you’d like the performance it provides.

Palmindaya contains stearic acid, potassium hydroxide, coconut oil, water, lanolin, boric acid, sodium silicate, sucrose, menthol, glycerin and an additional fragrance. It comes in 60-, 240-, and giant 700-gram (25 ounce) sizes. If you ever get through the largest container, you’ll find it big enough to bathe the family dog.

Palmindaya is a softer-than-usual and slippery cream that seems to jump onto a brush. It’s easy to overload the brush if you’re not careful. I chose to take small dabs with my finger and apply light patches directly to my face. The Omega boar that I used made a generous, medium-thick, slippery lather that easily lasted four passes.

The lather was one of the slickest I’ve encountered, and it seemed to provide good cushioning. As lather the cream lost most of its menthol punch, and the other fragrance-base became more pronounced. It still had an old-time barber shop smell that reminded me of my youth.

The cream is soothing, refreshing and minimally moisturizing. I had an excellent shave, notable for its comfort as well as its closeness. I felt that a drop or two of a moisturizing lotion was called for.

Palmindaya may be difficult to find outside Brazil. It is available mainly through barber-supply outlets even within the country.

It’s hard to find, but your efforts will be rewarded if you manage to locate it.

Last edited:
Thanks to a friend with connections, I was able to procure a sample of the rare and mystical Palmindaya shave cream.

I used it for the first time for yesterday's shave - wow! I used the typical dollop of cream I normally do, and that created mounds of lather! I had way more than enough for my 4 pass shave - I may have been able to go another 4. And, the menthol was great. I finished off with a Proraso splash, and my face felt chilled all over for hours. The performance is excellent, too. Slick, moisturizing lather with great glide and cushion; I can't think of any way to improve it.

I used it again for today's shave. Used less cream than yesterday, but it still created more lather than needed for my usual 4 pass + touch ups. Man, a little of this stuff goes a long way! I also noticed that there's some scent underneath the menthol that I can't quite identify. I must say, it gives a very comfortable and refreshing shave, indeed!

Used it yesterday, my favorite cream, smells SO good, nice and cooling. A very high quality cream..Better get one while you can , these are RARE...not expensive , 700 grams is a huge tub !
IMG_0302.JPG

Top Bottom