What's new

Paladin Shaving & Dark Holler Design Works shop journal

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
Ken, do you have a link to previous discussion about your Somerset rod stock? You offered a PK-47 Somerset a couple of releases ago which I tried for, and it left an impression. It doesn't show up often so must be in short supply and well guarded.

The company that supplies our Somerset rod also previously sold the same stock to Simpson (pre-Vulfix) and Rooney. My understanding is that, after Simpson discontinued using it, Rooney adopted the material for some of it's Heritage-line handles, and I have at least four M&Fs with handles that appear to have been turned from it as well. However, when I made inquiry with the supplier about the material, no order had been placed for over two years, so we were able to establish an exclusive sourcing arrangement for it. Since it's a custom color, we have to purchase it in quantities of at least 50 kilos per order. We have plenty; I just haven't used much of it much yet. I love the stuff, but most seem to want more colorful handles.

I think it was once reported elsewhere that the slightly pinkish hue of Somerset results from aging, like catalin turning to butterscotch. That's not the case. The photo below shows a Somerset-era Chubby next to a Lotus prototype turned from the same material. There might be a little batch-to-batch variation, but they're essentially the same.

proxy.php

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
Being a tad more "conservative" in my brush tastes, I must ask-was there any Malachite in those packages, which may be finding its way into 26mm PK-47 handles? Just curious....

Four pieces mixed in with the Moon Java.

. . . We have plenty; I just haven't used much of it much yet. I love the stuff, but most seem to want more colorful handles.

Gorgeous. I prefer subtle-classic to "colorful." Still a toss-up between this and your ivory grain, so I guess one of each, please.

I love that Ol' Timey feel. Would look great on a Falstaff too. Like maybe a 28/50 Fan [emoji6]

~Royce

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
That is one problem with Moonjava, my customers always get a few pictures of their brush, showing the "honey" side and the "not-so honey" side, sometimes I even send four pictures, showing all four sides.

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
That is one problem with Moonjava, my customers always get a few pictures of their brush, showing the "honey" side and the "not-so honey" side, sometimes I even send four pictures, showing all four sides.

It's also why we have a liberal return policy on unused brushes. The fact is that photos help, but there's no substitute for in-hand appraisal.

Can't ask for any better customer service gentlemen. It is why both of you are two of my favorite brushmakers. Excellent policies from both of you.

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
Can't ask for any better customer service gentlemen. It is why both of you are two of my favorite brushmakers. Excellent policies from both of you.

FWIW, of all the artisans who turn their handles by hand (we're different in that we use very hands-on CNC lathes for the most part), I believe Rudy knows about and (more importantly) understands knots best. That can only come from experience and thoughtful study of a broad range of knots over some time, which I know Rudy has under his belt.

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
Do we have a date for the next Paladin brush release?

As soon as we resolve a release date, I post it in all the usual places (here, Facebook, Twitter, TSN, DFS) and it has also been showing up very quickly on Reddit. We don't post in advance of near certainty because that just invites confusion if we have to make an adjustment.

I just got off the phone with Cody. Pam and I are jamming here (in Overland Park, KS) today to measure, code, and photograph brushes for the next release. He's taking off from Oregon by car tomorrow to head home for the holidays, and he wants to process the all the photos tonight. We won't do another release before he makes it home, and my guess is that we'll decide not to try to fit one in between then and Christmas. The week between Christmas and New Years Day is problematic for reasons that aren't very interesting. So my best guess is we'll aim for the first week in January.

That is what I call a "thorough answer"! Merry Christmas to you and your family. Enjoy a much deserved break and don't forget to throw-in a few 26 mm Lemon Drop Falstaffs in your next release.:blush:

As soon as we resolve a release date, I post it in all the usual places (here, Facebook, Twitter, TSN, DFS) and it has also been showing up very quickly on Reddit. We don't post in advance of near certainty because that just invites confusion if we have to make an adjustment.

I just got off the phone with Cody. Pam and I are jamming here (in Overland Park, KS) today to measure, code, and photograph brushes for the next release. He's taking off from Oregon by car tomorrow to head home for the holidays, and he wants to process the all the photos tonight. We won't do another release before he makes it home, and my guess is that we'll decide not to try to fit one in between then and Christmas. The week between Christmas and New Years Day is problematic for reasons that aren't very interesting. So my best guess is we'll aim for the first week in January.

The smudging on the Moonjava is definitely not something everyone cares for. I've had one that was perfect except for a single smudge and it personally drove me crazy as it was right by the logo. I had another that was perfect on one side and the flip side was crazy static like (no smudging) but more like two-faced.

Disco and Purple Haze seem to take better to the blending and smudging that sometimes occurs. My Disco Paladin is flawless and I'm thankful for it!

The fact that you are even considering photographing on all 4 sides for potential customers, shows how dedicated you are to your craft, customer service and making sure your buyers are happy.

I hadn't read or known about that Somerset stock, it's beautiful and elegant. Definitely a winner.

Great thread Ken!

Last edited:

Hmmm. Suddenly the restock period for the annual sabbatical takes a twist. I'm going to have to rethink things....

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
@ChiefBroom will the announcement be made on this thread? Thanks

No, I'll put up a separate thread for release announcements and updates. This is intended just to serve as a shop journal and place for general discussion related to Dark Holler Design Works and Paladin Shaving.

Top Bottom