What's new

Paladin Shave Brushes

Update on my Chief Butterscotch Marble:tongue_sm.

Third shave today w/Cella: the hint of scritch is clearly fading; the hairs are still "rigid" or "not that flexible" as they will become (plus this a bulb...); it keeps on lathering like mad although there's room for improvement.

All in all, as expected:001_cool:... heading its way to be the star of my den!:thumbup::001_wub:

I totally agree that these Paladin brushes are stars in the making. After about 20 shaves my PK-47 is a wonder of control and efficiency. It is seriously contending my beloved M&F Chief for the first spot in my rotation, as the cocky new guy it is...:tongue_sm

Mine :thumbup: It's an awesome brush, the more ergonomic than I have, the handle is a masterpirce. :love-struck:

The hair is wonderful, I love a bit of scrub, but I think it will soon disappear.

proxy.php

Greetings all. First off, I'm a newbie who's been doing this wet shaving thing for only a few months. I started off slow and simple but now that it seems I'm sticking with it I decided it was time to put on my "big boy pants" and reward myself with a better brush. I started off reasonable and budget-minded in my search but slowly worked my way up the ladder to the nicer brands--Simpson, Rooney, Kent, Plisson, Savile, Thater, etc. Then I found out about Morris & Forndran and this elusive fellow named Lee Sabini. The testimonials are stellar, so I decided that was the brush for me. You can't spend much time reading about M&F and Lee before you come across Ken (aka Chief Broom) and the group buy he put together a while back. Upon further reading I heard he was pairing with Lee to begin producing his own line of brushes, Paladin. Considering Lee seems to be difficult to make contact with this seemed like a great opportunity. I started reading up on Dark Holler and, to my surprise, found out Ken lives about 10 minutes from my house.

I reached out to Chief Broom to find out more about his operation and rather than providing me a price & product list he invited me over to check out the shop. I went over there this afternoon and he showed me around, introducing me to his wife and partner/son Cody, telling me all about the evolution of the business, product development and the manufacturing process. I was able to see everything from start to finish--raw materials right out of the box, the high tech production equipment and the product itself in all stages of the creation process. For a newbie like me to be able to see about 50 brushes (Chief and PK-47) in a variety finishes all in one place was really something special.

I was impressed with the outfit but I was there to buy a brush. Ken had just a handful of Chief and PK-47 brushes that for one reason ro another were not spoken for. When I showed up this is what I planned on buying. But unfortunately last night I had perused the threads and saw the pictures of the ebonite handles, so I asked about these. We went upstairs to take a look at them. He had about a 8-10 examples of the red, blue, black and sand high polish ebonite (including personal use brushes). Ken said they may or may not go into production with the material, ebonite being very difficult to work with, and that all of the units on hand were spoken for (Sweden and Spain will have them soon). Being more difficult to work with, they demand a higher price. Normally budget-minded, I knew I'd regret it if I left with anything but the ebonite. I begged and whined and cajoled until Ken finally agreed to take my money and let me have one. This is it:

$IMG_2768.jpg

Sorry for the bad pic. I took it with my iPhone in bad lighting. Beautiful, no? (And not bad for just my third brush.) It's cliche to say, but pictures really don't do it justice. It's much more beautiful in person.

It's wasn't for sale, which is why it isn't marked, but it's a Paladin PK-47. I can't wait to use it.

Again, big thanks to Ken, Cody and Mrs. Ken for welcoming me into their home and showing me around. Ken and Cody are very quality-conscious, so I know we're going to be seeing a lot of beautiful brushes and happy customers in the future once they get into full production.

Last edited:
That's a beautiful looking ebonite and a great story. You are fortunate to live in the area and see the shop first hand.

Congrats.

Beautiful brush and amazing story, sir!:thumbup1:

Those ebonite brushes are really special.

BTW you are one of the luckiest guys in the world right now, though it's got some financial risk... living 10 minutes away from THE factory of dreams, that is....

That is a great looking brush, and congrats on getting it out of Ken's hands - must have been quite a task.

Have to agree with everyone else's sentiments. That is a beautiful looking brush. I'll definitely agree that the is one heck of a third brush! And, not to mention, you're making me green with envy :lol:

But please let us know how you like it. Pictures are always appreciated, as well! :thumbup:

And, of course, thank you very much for your post and the story. It must have been a really cool experience.

Top Bottom