What's new

Paladin Select Badger Vs Simpsons Super

Interesting @Hannah's Dad Dan, I don’t splay the brush or create lather on my face, preferring to use painting strokes; so for my purposes of bowl lathering, are bulbs and not hybrids or fans more preferable? Other than preferring fan to bulb, did you feel the Paladin brushes you had were soft with little scritch or scrub (My face doesn’t respond well to any prickly texture)?? You had mentioned I believe Declaration Grooming but can’t remember the knot you suggested I inquire about.

When I bought my first Simpsons Super, knowing nothing about brush hair types, I bought the brush (A Chubby 2) only because I had read the hair grade was extremely soft and luxurious. I later bought the Chubby 1, because I believe I prefer smaller brushes, although I still enjoy using my Chubby 2 occasionally. The Chubby 2 is a wonderfully luxurious brush, but tends to hog lather, but I don’t worry too much about the amount of soap I use. I’m far more worried about having a good lather. I understand from others here that Paladin are either 26mm or 28mm so Paladin would be toward the maximum size I have used or prefer.

Last edited:

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Interesting @Hannah's Dad Dan, I don’t splay the brush or create lather on my face, preferring to use painting strokes; so for my purposes of bowl lathering, are bulbs and not hybrids or fans more preferable? Other than preferring fan to bulb, did you feel the Paladin brushes you had were soft with little scritch or scrub (My face doesn’t respond well to any prickly texture)?? You had mentioned I believe Declaration Grooming but can’t remember the knot you suggested I inquire about.

When I bought my first Simpsons Super, knowing nothing about brush hair types, I bought the brush (A Chubby 2) only because I had read the hair grade was extremely soft and luxurious. I later bought the Chubby 1, because I believe I prefer smaller brushes, although I still enjoy using my Chubby 2 occasionally. The Chubby 2 is a wonderfully luxurious brush, but tends to hog lather, but I don’t worry too much about the amount of soap I use. I’m far more worried about having a good lather. I understand from others here that Paladin are either 26mm or 28mm so Paladin would be toward the maximum size I have used or prefer.
Honestly, Kirk, if you paint only and never ’work’ a brush around your face, I might be inclined to suggest to you to save your money, buy a quality synthetic and call it a day. Synthetics are very soft on the face. Have you tried any synthetics?

Be aware that Simpson Super is normally a three band brush, it usually has an ivory coloured handle, and is available from resellers. Simpson SiLVERTiP is a two band brush, often with non ivory coloured handles and I think is only available directly from Simpson. They are distinctly different products, at different price points, and are clearly marked as such in their engraving. I read the SiLVERTiP has backbone similar to Manchurian but with softer tips so it may suit you very well. I have never tried one as they are similar in price to Manchurian.

View attachment 1448502

This was always confusing to me. I have a 3 band super limited edition direct from Simpsons and they labeled it Silvertip. It seems Simpsons interchangeably uses the Silvertip terminology applicable to either. I've never tried their 2 band hair and that's something that's been on my radar- but looking for them to discount them just a hair...

Honestly, Kirk, if you paint only and never ’work’ a brush around your face, I might be inclined to suggest to you to save your money, buy a quality synthetic and call it a day. Synthetics are very soft on the face. Have you tried any synthetics?
Dan,
The only synthetic I have tried is the synthetic Razorock BC Silvertip that I use for travel. It’s okay for my travel needs, but compared to super badger, I detest it, the hairs have a very plasticy feel to me. I obtained it on sale for like $14.99 or something, so that’s fine. Therefore, I don’t have much experience with synthetics. I have heard the STF fibers used by Muhle and the Simpsons synthetic fibers used in the Chubby synthetic are good, but I have no experience with either and honestly, I’m afraid I will not enjoy either because I enjoy the luxurious feel of Simpsons Super a lot.

@Latherati, if you like soft, I highly recommend the Muhle STF. It is very soft, while still managing to feel natural.

For me, after lots of experimentation (including Simpson’s Best and Super), I’ve found I prefer 2-Band type badgers with soft tips, strong backbone, and a little scrub. Fine examples of this, IMO, include Shavemac 2-Band Silvertip and Simpson Manchurian.

Like Dan, however, I am primarily a face latherer, so I do also wonder whether a high quality synthetic might be the ticket for you, as you are a bowl latherer.

Simpson 2 band Silvertip and 3 band Super are my favorite badger offerings.

Simpson 2 band Silvertip has the soft face feel of the 3 band Super, and backbone between Manchurian and 2 band Silvertip.

I have one Simpson Manchurian. Although I get it out from time to time, hoping that it will turn out to be the time I fall in love with it, but it never happens.

Simpson 2 band Silvertip and 3 band Super are actually pretty similar to Shavemac 2 band finest and 3 band D01.

Actually, I meant to say,

"...backbone between Manchurian and 3 band Super."

It wouldn't let me edit.

I think this is the clearest discussion of badger brushes I've read. I'm still on the fence. I only bowl lather.. all synths so far.
You have all explained things in a way this old mind can grasp... so thx.
I agree!! The helpful and knowledgeable members here are the reason I enjoy asking questions because the experience of members always provides more information and knowledge than I was expecting when I posed my original questions. I have learned a ton since being a complete newbie that knew nothing when I joined here a couple years ago. Now, I can occasionally answer questions and contribute to conversations with my own experiences, but the members here have always given excellent advice that continues to make this hobby enjoyable. Thanks to the members here I now enjoy several shaving soaps (Mike’s Natural Soap, Stirling Soaps (Mutton), Haslinger’s and my current favorite, Barrister and Man Omnibus), Wolfman razors, and Simpsons Super badger brushes. Many vendors are also extremely helpful, knowledgeable and active members here too!

Thank you everyone!
Kirk (Latherati)

Last edited:

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
I have owned a single Paladin, a 2XL with a 2CLNL6 knot, and it had been chemically treated to the extreme. It was undoubtedly a quality brush but the tips were gelled to the point that using it was like lathering with a 28mm marshmallow, to me it felt slimy, unnatural, and very unpleasant - but it was certainly soft, in fact I cannot imagine anything softer; I hated it, but you may love it.

I will respond in some detail (probably too much) to the questions and comments above, but first I'd like to ask what serial number corresponded with the Paladin brush you've described. Also, did you purchase it directly from us, and do you still have it?

Please forgive me if I've asked these questions before. I know you've posted the same impressions here previously, but I don't remember responding. That said, there's a lot I don't remember these days. Of course, that's not always a bad thing.

Last edited:

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I will respond in some detail (probably too much) to the questions and comments above, but first I'd like to ask what serial number corresponded with the Paladin brush you've described. Also, did you purchase it directly from us, and do you still have it?

Please forgive me if I've asked these questions before. I know you've posted the same impressions here previously, but I don't remember responding. That said, there's a lot I don't remember these days. Of course, that's not always a bad thing.
Hi Ken,

The brush is shown below as I received it, I hope it includes the details you requested. I did not purchase the brush directly from you and I do not still own it. As I said, undoubtedly a high quality brush from a top tier maker, but unfortunately that particular knot did not suit me. No disrespect intended on my part for the Paladin brand, which I have recommended several times in this thread alone, and I hope my comments did not come across that way.

20200930_110242.jpg

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Hi Ken,

The brush is shown below as I received it, I hope it includes the details you requested. I did not purchase the brush directly from you and I do not still own it. As I said, undoubtedly a high quality brush from a top tier maker, but unfortunately that particular knot did not suit me. No disrespect intended on my part for the Paladin brand, which I have recommended several times in this thread alone, and I hope my comments did not come across that way.

View attachment 1449288

What a beautiful brush! I am sorry to hear that the brush didn't work out for you. When I first started wet shaving a couple months ago, I didn't know anything about brushes. I bought my first brush, which was a generic chrome handled pure badger, ended up hating it because it was all wrong. The brush had major stench to be removed, the brush had far too high of a loft, and the brush had 0 backbone!

After asking around for some guidance, I ended up getting a much higher quality brush in the end, a Maseto Avatar 30 knot 56 loft silver tipped badger brush. Now that brush has very soft tips, and its got solid backbone, and won't fall flat on its face like my first brush. But its a big boy brush, soaks up the lather like you won't believe, but at least its a performing brush!

I am planning to buy my 3rd brush now, but I am planning to go synthetic this time around. I think Paladin brushes are beautiful, I really do, and I gave you a hearted like, because I love that handle on that one. But, for synthetics, I think that Paladin is a bit on the pricey side of things. Don't get me wrong, they obviously make quality brushes, you can see the proof in these pictures!

But I have always believed that synthetics should be easily affordable, because there should be less cost in the making of them, vs the overhead costs of animals hair brushes.

Keep in mind these are my preferences and my views. I would describe Paladin Select Badger having more backbone in the shaft, more compact, and a bit less dense than Simpson Super when speaking of the 3-band Super variety. The 3-band variety is much denser through most of the range, but the backbone is a bit less in the base of the shaft. In terms of how the tips feel, that is a loaded question. I say it is loaded because it is a natural product, and there will indeed be variations between batches. I've heard of slight differences in even the same batches, but I haven't gone as far as to test that out to confirm it myself.

I would usually say 3-band Super tends to be a bit softer thanks to less backbone in the shaft of the hair that allows a bit more splay, and a bit of a softer tip. Some of them can be quite soft, but there is usually a bit of tip presence felt. 2-band Silvertip (or Super, they are actually exchangeable) has more tip presence thanks to the increased resliance in the hair shaft, along with slightly thicker tips. Even if 2-band is a bit less dense, the hair structure makes up for any decrease in density.

Anymore honestly I like to use Shavemac's hair grades as a litmus test for all the hair grades out there. There's 2 camps the 2-bands typically sit in, the 2-band Silvertip which is softer on the tips and is more likely to have a gel tip feel to it with more of a resistant give in the shaft of the hair, and the 2-band D01 variety which is much stiffer, thicker diameter hair that is very resistant to being splayed.

I would liken 2-band Super or Silvertip as being a touch towards 2-band D01, but not to the extreme that is. Simpson Manchurian comes closer to 2-band D01, like maybe 70% of the way there. To me I liken Simpson Manchurian almost as a 2.5 band variety. It's stiffer and less prone to splay like 2-band, but not as much as 3-band, but lathers better than the dense 3-band Supers in Chubby, and other packed brushes do. Out of the 2-band variety for Simpson I lean to Manchurian.

Paladin is much more like 2-band Silvertip for Shavemac, and even softer in the tips than 2-band Super, and 3-band Super. That softness might not be for you. I don't always like the gel feeling, but I'd so much rather have any Paladin knot than any aftermarket knot out there. It has a bit more of a treated feel to it, but not excessive like the SHD, Oumo knots, and too many others I can possibly think of. You can find some variation in Paladins and knots more to the natural tip presence I like, Like the 2CH3K4, 2CWHB5, 2CWHD5, 2CWHE5, and 2CLNK7. Reading those knot notes they are much more to my liking. That being said, I have a good number of knots from the beginning to about 2020 I think, and from what I've used I can definitely use them. I've never had a Paladin I've used yet that I've absolutely disliked. Truth be told I have a number yet to use. I have a Dusty Rose PK-47 with the more natural tips and can say that is right up my alley, and I'd be in heaven with that type in all my brushes, and is more of what I want.

Typically I want a stiff hair if it is a 2-band variety because it is too easy to get in an area of gelling I do not like with the softer varieties. 3-bands I really have not had the problem of gelling with that, and would hate to find it. I want a soft hair, but I want something that has just a slight tip presence so I can feel it during use. It can get too soft. The softest 3-band Super for Simpson I have ever come across are from the Somerset era. The Vulfix era can be good too. I have an Emperor 1 that comes to mind that is quite good. It's good quality, but I have brushes from other manufacturers I've experienced that tend to be softer overall. You can always find sample variances to match what you like from a manufacturer I feel.

Paladin is indeed 2-band Silvertip. That and some synthetics is all they sell at the moment. Knot shape is an important factor in a brush and can significantly alter things. You can use bulb, fan, or hybrid any way that pleases you, but face latherers usually only want bulbs, bowl lathers prefer fans a lot, and hybrids can be both way. I like to see the knot construction, and my gut tells me if I'm happy. I've had bulbs that were far too pointy, not my cup of tea, some that weren't pointy but just a bit too much emphasis in the center throwing the face feel off for me, you can get too wide of a fan, per my avatar that's an extreme flat top 2-band D01 from Shavemac and I love that sucker, but I don't recommend doing it in anything else. I did have a 3-band D01 for a time and that sucker bloomed too much for me then. Maybe now would be different. I have 35mm+ brushes I don't blink an eye at using, but even those didn't have a bloom like that sucker did.

Fans do excel with painting motions I would say and aid in the creation of lather generation, especially with painting motions. It's what manufacturers recommend, but many people love to face lather and circular is nice for that. Just know circular motions are worse for a brush, and the harder you push it into the face, the more potential damage you expose the brush to. Some blokes will resist this saying they are just fine, but this is simple physics, and I don't care what they say. The manufacturers tell you the same thing and it shouldn't take a rocket scientist to understand this. Hybrids are a bit rarer, but wouldn't need to go out of the way for. Fans and hybrids can be a bit hard to quantify.

Overall for myself I would consider 3-bands to be softer than 2-bands. When you get in the realm of 2-band Silvertips it's a bit closer, and the only way I would give the win to the 2-band Silvertip is with a bit of gelling presence. The reason I consider them softer is there is less resilience in the hair shaft of 3-band period compared to any 2-band. The taper of the tips is smaller than any 2-band too. It's only the gelling which can swing it in favor, and it's a wild card if you will like it. Even for the ones I like I don't like them 100% of the time. When done right, it is quite unique and worth experiencing, though. From 2-band Silvertip to 2-band D01, it is more resistant than 3-band period. It just gets stiffer going up to 2-band D01. You even have something beyond 2-band D01, but no longer made. Of course this is just my view.

Top Bottom