What's new

Paladin Pickle Barrel

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
Just to clarify, I don't only (or even mostly) care about referrals or any metric that might somehow correlate with sales. I'd be plenty satisfied with engagement. For an example of that, see this.

I wish that I had an answer for you. My sense is that people at B&B don't participate in the vendor section as much as people in other fora do. I don't think that it's a situation that's specific to Paladin, but just how things are generally. I have no clue why that's the case, but that's been my observation.

I'd say look at the B/S/T and that will kinda tell you who is on what site. Some of the other forums you mentioned tend to movie higher end products between members so they are probably more experience shavers with a higher disposable income. Maybe there are more novices here. Less posts on those forums too so that would tell me that there are more people learning here asking more questions.

My 2 cents

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
I wish that I had an answer for you. My sense is that people at B&B don't participate in the vendor section as much as people in other fora do. I don't think that it's a situation that's specific to Paladin, but just how things are generally. I have no clue why that's the case, but that's been my observation.

I agree, and I don't take anything about this subject personally. It's just a problem to solve. We pay $500/year for a B&B Vendor badge. I've been an enthusiastic and appreciative supporter of B&B since years before it crossed my mind to make brushes to sell. The vendors' forum worked for us in the beginning, but it hasn't worked for some time.

Everything changes. I suspect many factors have contributed in complex ways to change the space, not only on B&B but across the boards and broader social media. My impression is that there has been a substantial migration from the boards to Reddit and Facebook groups. The challenge for us is to adapt. Whether B&B should consider adapting depends entirely on its objectives. Maybe their being perfectly well served.

I'd say look at the B/S/T and that will kinda tell you who is on what site. Some of the other forums you mentioned tend to movie higher end products between members so they are probably more experience shavers with a higher disposable income. Maybe there are more novices here. Less posts on those forums too so that would tell me that there are more people learning here asking more questions.

My 2 cents

I think you might be right. I don't spend much time following the brushes forum here because as a Vendor I don't have much latitude to post there. My frame of reference is pretty stale; it's grounded in how things were here a few years back.

I didn't ask the question with a high expectation of anyone offering simple solutions. Just the same, it seemed worth asking (again). Thanks for the replies.

That's strange and I haven't a clue why it would be. I always go see the new releases from wherever I first see it.
I think usually twitter!

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
Shopify site referral stats:

7/13 - 7 days - 30 days - YTD

B&B - 6 - 16 - 29 - 334
TSN - 31 - 69 - 160 - 1,807
DFS - 11 - 21 - 37 - 537
FB - 24 - 66 - 172 - 1,908
Twitter - 31 - 75 - 154 - 1,253
Direct - 216 - 1,565 - 5,793 - 38,432

But again, I don't measure success here by referrals near so much as engagement. I haven't worked at that in the Vendors' fora on DFS or TSN nearly as much as here. And although I agree our pricing is probably a factor in relative referral rates, a lot of what I've posted here with regard to knots has broad relevance. I just don't think there's a broad audience. And outreach into the public fora isn't much of an option here.

Last edited:
I tend to view and post about shaving brushes in the Shaving Brush forum. That is where I first heard about Paladin. I think most of the members here use that forum for discussing shaving brush purchases.

I check out the Vendor forum for the new release information.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
I tend to view and post about shaving brushes in the Shaving Brush forum. That is where I first heard about Paladin. I think most of the members here use that forum for discussing shaving brush purchases.

I check out the Vendor forum for the new release information.

Thanks for the reply. I completely understand that. I'm sure you know this, but shaving brush "vendors" aren't allowed to post freely in the Shaving Brushes forum. The lines are fuzzy enough that I steer just about entirely clear of brush discussions anywhere but here in our vendor's section.

Thanks for the reply. I completely understand that. I'm sure you know this, but shaving brush "vendors" aren't allowed to post freely in the Shaving Brushes forum. The lines are fuzzy enough that I steer just about entirely clear of brush discussions anywhere but here in our vendor's section.
It is unfortunate that vendors are limited in posting in the shaving forums. If vendors are gauging the popularity or promotion of their products only by what is said in the vendor section, they may come away thinking their is not much enthusiasm for their products based on the limited discussions here.

Also, how does Shopify get the referral stats? Because I have never been asked how I was referred to your site or any vendor site.

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
It is unfortunate that vendors are limited in posting in the shaving forums. If vendors are gauging the popularity or promotion of their products only by what is said in the vendor section, they may come away thinking their is not much enthusiasm for their products based on the limited discussions here.

Also, how does Shopify get the referral stats? Because I have never been asked how I was referred to your site or any vendor site.

I don't have any issues with B&B's rules. As far as I know they haven't changed substantively since I joined going on seven years ago. And I don't gauge broad interest based on what is or isn't posted here. I'm just trying to figure how to make optimal use of this space. About all I have to go by is engagement (most important to me) and comparative stats.

I have no idea how Shopify gathers referral stats. My impression is the they get them from Google, but that could be totally wrong. FWIW, I don't see identities or ip addresses, just referral sources (e.g., Twitter, Facebook, B&B, TSN, DFS, search engine, direct, etc...). Referrals from social media sites are dwarfed by direct visits, but I assume comparative stats have some significance.

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
A little premature, but in light of this thread in the Shaving Brushes forum, I thought I'd share a project we have in the works based on the Kent V10 shown below. Prototypes handles are in process of being finished (in Oregon).

proxy.php

proxy.php

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
Very nice, Ken.

Thanks, Jim. I've had the V10 for quite a while, but didn't get around to drawing, coding, and turning a prototype based on it until a few weeks ago. Then I kept playing around with it and ended up with three more derivative designs.

proxy.php

I was admiring the Kent this morning. I’d be most interested in the two on the left. (I realize you weren’t asking, but figured a little focus group response may - or may not - be useful.)

Looking good with the prototypes! The direct reproduction looks excellent, wish the other ones had the sharper / beveled edge near the top though. The far right kinda reminds me of my Simpson Colonel fwiw.

Top Bottom