What's new

Paladin knots discussion

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
I'd like to propose use of this thread for questions and discussion of general interest related our knots, Knot Notes, etc.

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
Have you ever thought of offering synthetic knits?

Yes. But the fact is I've never got into them at all, and the statement that "our purpose is to create and offer to the wet-shaving community products of the kind and quality we want for ourselves" is completely on the level.

That said, my mind isn't closed to synthetic knots.

I asked these questions elsewhere but am posting them again. They are not meant to be critical cal in the least. Just interested in how your business works.

1) Your knots are changing all the time. Why? Are you still figuring out the best type of knot to use? Are your vendors changing? Is it natural variation? I'm not looking for trade secrets, just curious about it in general.

2) Is it the same for other vendors as well? If I buy a [Brand X] brush today in [Grade Y], is the knot going to be basically the same as the Brand X brush in Grade Y that I bought a year ago?

I know that others buy multiples of the same brush, but for me - as an only occasional brush buyer - it's unlikely that I'll purchase the same knot twice. It seems to me that an average brush buyer like me is just playing the odds that one from the particular batch of knots on hand is going to suit her or him.

I asked these questions elsewhere but am posting them again. They are not meant to be critical cal in the least. Just interested in how your business works.

1) Your knots are changing all the time. Why? Are you still figuring out the best type of knot to use? Are your vendors changing? Is it natural variation? I'm not looking for trade secrets, just curious about it in general.

2) Is it the same for other vendors as well? If I buy a [Brand X] brush today in [Grade Y], is the knot going to be basically the same as the Brand X brush in Grade Y that I bought a year ago?

I know that others buy multiples of the same brush, but for me - as an only occasional brush buyer - it's unlikely that I'll purchase the same knot twice. It seems to me that an average brush buyer like me is just playing the odds that one from the particular batch of knots on hand is going to suit her or him.

Very interesting topics.

I suppose high end brushes (high end as in the real thing...) have (must have) that variation. Badger hair is natural, not all badgers were created equal and such... Obviously even though a certain level of consistency can be and in fact is achieved. At least within batches...

Depending on the subject, I like predictability... to some extent... but I also get bored very easily...

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I'm curious as well - there does seem to be an infinite variation with all the knot codes. I've just assumed that Ken was going above and beyond to communicate product characteristics, and that other higher volume makers just don't go that extra mile. I've had a couple Paladins, going back to the B&B Chief, and haven't met a knot that hasn't been superb. Or maybe my leathery old hide isn't sensitive enough to pick up the variation?

I'm curious as well - there does seem to be an infinite variation with all the knot codes. I've just assumed that Ken was going above and beyond to communicate product characteristics, and that other higher volume makers just don't go that extra mile. I've had a couple Paladins, going back to the B&B Chief, and haven't met a knot that hasn't been superb. Or maybe my leathery old hide isn't sensitive enough to pick up the variation?

I like my two early Paladin knots (Lee Sabini's knots..., Ken's handles), they are nice and such...

... but I prefer later knots (Ken's all over...)... fantastic two band hair, especially my 28 mm... superb backbone, soft tips, outstanding lathering properties...

Hey, I am not sponsored and all opinions are my own...

Juan, I have to agree with you I have two of the Collaboration brushes and they are very nice, however I do find the Select knots 2nd only to the HMW Manchurian knots of Saponifcio Varesino. That being said his 28 MM Select Badger in the Fan configuration is just heaven.

Juan, I have to agree with you I have two of the Collaboration brushes and they are very nice, however I do find the Select knots 2nd only to the HMW Manchurian knots of Saponifcio Varesino. That being said his 28 MM Select Badger in the Fan configuration is just heaven.

David... I still haven't tried SV's Manchurian knots... Now, of course, I'll have to...

I am curious about the new 'gel like' hair... Does it remind of the original Chief? Hmmm...

Late, sorry..

Ken, not nice that shedding, no... Let's hope everything is sorted out in a short time.

Pity, that hair (i.e., your description...) seems to be outstanding.

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
Late, sorry..

Ken, not nice that shedding, no... Let's hope everything is sorted out in a short time.

Pity, that hair (i.e., your description...) seems to be outstanding.

I think these will turn out OK. We just need to figure out how to effectively purge the loose hairs before setting/offering more of these knots.

Top Bottom