What's new

PAL Adjustable

HI All

I picked up a PAL adjustable recently. After cleaning and sanitizing it, it took a fair bit of effort to inject a new blade into it due to the old one being stuck.

However once i got it in there i noticed that the bottom plate was a lot looser than it should be. So loose in fact that the adjusting dial didnt do anything.

Had a rough/aggressive shave as a result.

Does anyone know if there is a way to tighten the bottom plate? There seems to be 2 small screws but with an unusual screwdriver head needed.

thanks

I'm holding my Pal Adjustable in my hand. Are those tiny screws, or are they rivets? I can't determine. They may be rivets.

I'm not sure your razor can be repaired without factory tools and factory know-how.

FYI turning the dial to the right and to the most aggressive position, the bottom plate should travel up. Turning the dial to the left and to the most mild position, the bottom plate should travel down.

Also keep in mind that the first blade you inject should be considered throw away. They always get roughed up and misaligned when ejecting those older stuck blades.

Also keep in mind that the first blade you inject should be considered throw away. They always get roughed up and misaligned when ejecting those older stuck blades.
thanks yes i did consider that but in this case the bottom guard is definitely loose and the adjustment dial does nothing. The loose bottom guard is making the shave very aggressive.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Any chance of a photo to see what you are talking about? Plus I would like to see the razor please. I have a Pal injector somewhere and I cannot remember if it just an injector or an Adjustable.

Any chance of a photo to see what you are talking about? Plus I would like to see the razor please. I have a Pal injector somewhere and I cannot remember if it just an injector or an Adjustable.
ill take a pic of the problem later and post. I actually bought another PAL adjustable and this one looks much better so will take a comparison photo.

So I took a picture from the side of my faulty adjustable and my newer on. You can see on the faulty one the small tension piece of metal isn’t even touching the razor whereas on the second one it is.
Having said that I have a new problem with my newer one. I cleaned and sanitized it and since it didn’t have a blade I inserted a new blade. Then just in case the first one got damaged I tried to insert and new one but couldn’t . It was so stuck I can’t even budge it.

Can anyone tell me what I can do ? Should I use WD40 or something ?
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh here are the pics
proxy.php

The one above is the damaged one

The one below is the one I believe should work better if I can test it
proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When you insert the blade magazine it's got to line up with the razor properly. Wear reading glasses if you must just to see how it works. Ensure it's lined up so the blade can travel from the flat of the magazine onto the flat of the razor. It might need a wee tweak or twist to get it just right. If it's not exactly right you will be trying to push the new blade against the razor head and not against the old blade.

Hope that makes sense. These things were apparently designed for a quick easy blade change but in truth it's best to go slow and keep eye balling what's going on, especially until you get a feel for how they operate.

I do remember it's best to relieve the spring tension so turn the dial either fully one way of the other, to relieve spring tension before loading. It's so long since I used one I don't remember which direction that was but probably L for Low?

Get it lined up right though.

I do remember it's best to relieve the spring tension so turn the dial either fully one way of the other, to relieve spring tension before loading. It's so long since I used one I don't remember which direction that was but probably L for Low?

Actually, to relieve the spring tension you turn it right to H (for High). Which is why most people store their PAL Adjustables on H.

Thanks i'll give it a try on the next shave. Like i said i was able to get one blade inserted and was trying to insert a new one.

Interesting how on my other injectors its super easy and smooth to change.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
1593601271501.png

I think you might be able to salvage the damaged razor from the first picture with out taking it apart.(nothing to lose anyways) I would take 2 needle nose pliers and electric tape the ends of the pliers so not to scratch the chromed parts (That what I do to my pliers when working on razors). From looking at the picture presented your spring is bent, make sure the tensioner knob is on the mildest setting take the first needle nose pliers and clamp it just above the plastic part of the handle and then take the second needle nose pliers and place just above the 1st pair of pliers and bend the spring inwards towards the main body of razor. You have to get tension back on the second arm that pivots. Some one was screwing around with it no doubt in my mind(kids?) and did some damage because the owner would not of damaged his razor IMO.
Protected needle nose pliers.jpg

Have some great shaves!

View attachment 1120098
I think you might be able to salvage the damaged razor from the first picture with out taking it apart.(nothing to lose anyways) I would take 2 needle nose pliers and electric tape the ends of the pliers so not to scratch the chromed parts (That what I do to my pliers when working on razors). From looking at the picture presented your spring is bent, make sure the tensioner knob is on the mildest setting take the first needle nose pliers and clamp it just above the plastic part of the handle and then take the second needle nose pliers and place just above the 1st pair of pliers and bend the spring inwards towards the main body of razor. You have to get tension back on the second arm that pivots. Some one was screwing around with it no doubt in my mind(kids?) and did some damage because the owner would not of damaged his razor IMO.
View attachment 1120100
Have some great shaves!
Hi thanks. When you say clamp the first pliers just above the plastic part, do you mean the first one clamps around the faulty tension spring as well? Doesnt that push it closed? How will i get the second one in between to then bend the faulty tension bar?

When you insert the blade magazine it's got to line up with the razor properly. Wear reading glasses if you must just to see how it works. Ensure it's lined up so the blade can travel from the flat of the magazine onto the flat of the razor. It might need a wee tweak or twist to get it just right. If it's not exactly right you will be trying to push the new blade against the razor head and not against the old blade.

Hope that makes sense. These things were apparently designed for a quick easy blade change but in truth it's best to go slow and keep eye balling what's going on, especially until you get a feel for how they operate.

Get it lined up right though.
I tried what you said on my new (working) adjustable and it worked. I was able to insert a new blade and shaved with it yesterday on setting 2. It was a good shave but not as nice as my model L, M or N however i hear that the shave angle is supposed to be a bit different to a regular injector.

It was a good shave but not as nice as my model L, M or N however i hear that the shave angle is supposed to be a bit different to a regular injector.

I found a steeper angle worked better with the Pal Adjustable. That said, my Pal just doesn't shave as well as the majority of my other razors. I didn't want to accept that, but after a number of attempts I'm pretty sure it's not technique. Nor is the razor misaligned. Just not efficient. Only my Personna injector is a worse shaver than the Pal Adjustable.

I tried what you said on my new (working) adjustable and it worked. I was able to insert a new blade and shaved with it yesterday on setting 2. It was a good shave but not as nice as my model L, M or N however i hear that the shave angle is supposed to be a bit different to a regular injector.

Great stuff. Yes thy shave different. Or rather they shave the same but at a different angle from a Schick.

Top Bottom