What's new

Pakistani wedding: dress code?

I received an invitation to a Pakistani wedding, and being the first time attending one I need to know what the dress code is and dos and don'ts. Thanks.

Is this a wedding in Pakistan, or just a Pakistani wedding "locally"? Either way, you will probably be fine with a traditional western suit. It's widely accepted across the globe as formal wear. Just get an idea of how formal an event it will be and dress the part.

Last edited:
Is this a wedding in Pakistan, or just a Pakistani wedding "locally"? Either way, you will probably be fine with a traditional western suit. It's widely accepted across the globe as formal wear. Just get an idea of how formal an event it will be and dress the part.

It's a local wedding, but a Pakistani wedding nonetheless.

You will be fine...If you take a woman with you I would not disrespect the wedding by having her in a revealing dress.

My friends emailed back and said
[FONT=&amp]What is most important is for the man to be dressed with the focus to honor the groom. If it is in Pakistan then a nice outfit would be good if in America then a nice suite would honor him the most. Then he should simply do what he is told and greet guest warmly.[/FONT]
So it sounds like "Keep your eyes open, do as the Romans, and don't do nuthin dumb." Good luck!

I can't offer any direct insight into a Pakistani wedding but I can't imagine it will be much different from a hindu wedding. Do you know what religion the wedding is as it will determine the type of ceremony... but they are all relatively similar.

http://wedding.theknot.com/wedding-...weddings/articles/hindu-wedding-guest-qa.aspx

That link covers the basics. If you have any specific questions, just fire me a PM. (I'm Indian for reference)

If it is a Pakistani wedding, 99% chance it will be a Islamic style wedding, Nikah. This will be totally different to the Hindu wedding, done at the mandap. The after-ward reception may be similar since both nations are in South Asia, which share culture, but the core marriage ceremony will be drastically different, if Hindu vs. Muslim style of marriage.

@Bossies:
What if the last name of the family or does the card have any Persian / Arabic style script on it. Example: آپ کیسے ہیں
Based on these points I can help you, answer your query.

Last edited:
South Asian Weddings are a celebration of colors and glare. First important tip - be colorful and shine if possible. Bland colors like white / Black are generally more socially acceptable in funerals.

Most Pakistani and Indian weddings always have a mix of dress codes. women tend to wear highly ornamental and loud colorful dresses , while men would be in some traditional outfit.

A good western suit (with / without Tie) is most acceptable in weddings in India / Pakistan.

Important for the lady try to not have any revealing dress, especially in an Islamic wedding. Be colorful when attending any wedding of the South Asian continent, especially patterns or a shine (silk sherwani/panjabi). Also enjoy the continent music and try to put in a step or two in the traditional dance and you're all set.

This video though from a Hindu Indian wedding is a basic tutor for anyone interested and is generally what you might see in most weddings Indian / Pakistani !:thumbup1:

Last edited by a moderator:
From the couple of Pakistani weddings I've been to, a standard suit is what most of the men (Pakistani and western) were wearing. No revealing clothes for the women as most have said, and it's usually just a reception that I've been invited to. The actual wedding that took place in both cases was a small ordeal for just close family in someone's home, and an all Islamic event. The reception did, however, last a very long time and seemed to start very late relative to the "official" start time. Also, as it's not polite to leave a western wedding before cutting the cake, at both Pakistani weddings, it wasn't polite to leave before taking a picture with the bride/groom. They usually sit up on a small stage in the front of the room and all of the guests will form a line and have a 30 second chat with the bride/groom throughout the evening and take a picture. That seemed to be the most important activity of the night, the picture with the bride/groom.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I would strongly suggest you ask the bride (or groom if necessary) what sort of dress code they are encouraging for their wedding. Ask follow up questions to help nail down the proper attire. "It's your special day, so I want to dress appropriately so not to detract from your celebration, and not feel out of place among the other guests."

Don't assume that because they are Pakistani, they will be going "whole hog" on the traditional dress & ceremony ... maybe they will, sure ... but maybe they are feeling like being a little more "westernised" and being more informal.

I went to a similar affair for my friend not too long ago. Most of the advice here would have been spot on, although I'm not sure that the "vividly colourful" advice applies unless you're female.

As others have mentioned: It's pretty hard to go wrong with a nice suit and tie. If you're bringing a lady friend, "demure" is probably the better course.

Additionally: Ladies may benefit from having a nice (the fancier / higher quality the better) shawl to wrap around their shoulders. As a (presumably) non-muslim they will probably not be expected to cover their heads for reading of the scripture, but having a shawl handy for this purpose if the matter arises is just good sense.

Thank you all for your input - it is of tremendous value.
I only know the parents, not the bride and groom directly.

Top Bottom