What's new

Pairing drugstore AS with cologne

For those of you who add cologne to your routine, what do you like to pair with some drugstore aftershaves below, or your favorite popular AS that doesn't have a matching cologne:
  • Aqua Velva
  • Clubman Pinaud
  • Skin Bracer
  • Gillette Cool Wave
  • Afta
I don't wear cologne much, especially in the winter, but I like my AS & cologne to be in the same family of scent notes.

I've paired Clubman Pinaud with Truefitt & Hill Grafton, which has a fruity/powdery, barbershop scent. I've read that Drakkar Noir or Davidoff Cool Water goes well with Gillette Cool Wave. I'll try it with Drakkar when warmer weather sets in.

Of your list, I only use three:
  • Clubman Pinaud--Paul Sebastian PS Fine for men, Pierre Cardin Pour Monsieur
  • Gillette Cool Wave--Davidoff Cool Wave, Coty Aspen for men, Cuba Prestige Black by Cuba Paris
  • Afta--Royal Copenhagen for men
If you want a nice smelling aftershave that pairs with a number of cool weather scents--Nivea Deep.

That said, I don't usually worry about matching. In the hours or so between the time I shave and the time I apply cologne, jsut about any aftershave I've used has faded away.

Gillette Cool Wave with Alfred Sung pour l'homme
Aqua Velva Ice Sport with Davidoff Cool Water
Clubman with Avon Wild Country

I bought a bottle of Floïd "moderna y masculina" today. My first impression was, and still is: Dior Homme!!! :w00t: Or Zara 9.0 for the more budget conscious (I have both). So, the Floïd will not interfere in anyway with one of my favorite scents, Dior Homme Intense.

Clubman and Canoe cologne are very similar. Anything sweet goes well with Clubman.

Skin Bracer and any cologne with vanilla or balsamic notes works great for me.

AV works with anything summery to me.

English Leather goes with vintage EL cologne or anything woody or leathery. The vintage EL aftershave is amazing, but potent. Be careful with amounts. Unless you have a long day, it can stand alone in a warm environment.

Old Spice works with anything! The Vintage lasts a bit so I pair it with vintage OS cologne. Paul Sebastian Fine is a fancy Old Spice to my nose. I like this as well.

I also usually don’t worry much about clashing as the AS usually fades so fast.

I like Drakkar Noir with Clubman and Burberry London with Whiskey Woods. Aramis Havana usually with a bay rum and regular Aramis with Special Reserve. Aqua velva ice sport goes good with Aspen or Cool Water.

Top Bottom