What's new

painting on lather?

Maybe a super soft brush and try to limit the splay.
Go to a tougher area like lower neck for Any or most splay that ya have to do?
What brushes are you using?
It's not a soap reaction, correct?

Try what @brucered said to see if it is the soap that is causing the irritation.

If it is really the mechanical action of the brush, and you have to face lather, then do it lightly with the softest brush possible, like a cashmere synthetic.

You've got this, @Staggers and Jags!

Last edited:

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I don't get it. For me it's not a choice between splaying or painting. I do both. I load then I splay to work up a good lather and get those whiskers attention in order to hopefully stand them up. Then there's painting, figure eights, contemplation of my life, maybe another splay, possibly a figure 6 or a pirouette. It's fluid and never the same. In my face lathering routine one stroke only would never suffice. YMMV.
Likewise.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Try what @brucered said to see if it is the soap that is causing the irritation.

If it is really the mechanical action of the brush, and you have to face lather, then do it lightly with the softest brush possible, like a cashmere synthetic.

You've got this, @Staggers and Jags!
My experience with synthetics is limited. I have always used a very soft and some would say floppy badger, like a Kent BK series. I cannot imagine it irritating.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I bowl lather and there is not a soap made hard or cream that can not be bowl lathered. For hard pucks or shave sticks all I do is use my pocket knife to cut some slivers off and press in the bottom of the bowl, been doing this for the last 5 years.
Basically the bowl takes the brunt of the lather generating process instead of your face as mentioned already.
The bowl simulates loading the soap from puck but your fine tuning the lather the way you enjoy it and just splay or paint in on.
If you enjoy a thick lather applied to the face use a 26mm synthetic or a silvertip badger and it will apply the lather the way you want and quickly. It takes a few tries to zero in you soap lather. I always start with squeezed brush and add water to the paste when needed works every time.
Also I always apply lather to a wet face helps also.

Last edited:
Simpsons new synthetics are incredibly soft...not too expensive. And the first synthetic I can get a good lather with. Worth a try if the brush is actually irritating your skin.

Great advice above!

I use a ‘painting’ motion to face lather my soaps. I start with a damp brush and load soap from the puck. Then, I add a few drops of water at a time until I get the lather I want.

For a time I used straights and developed a preference for ‘slick’ lather that shows a ‘sheen’ from what I consider optimal hydration. This provides great glide. I much prefer this thin consistency to the thick ’yogurt’ often shown in videos or photos. Between passes I add another drop or two of water to the brush.

But whatever works best for you is just fine!

Top Bottom