What's new

Paddle strop: any issues?

Hello all. I've been using my belt to strop for ages now and tho it does a good job, I know I need a strop. Got my eye on the extra-wide T.I. paddle as I like not having to x-pattern if I can help it and like the idea of the tension being predetermined. Any issues with a paddle I'm not aware of?

The only issue I'm aware of is that I've never seen anyone use a paddle strop in the movies so I don't know what contribution it will make to your fantasy life.

:biggrin:
I admit it doesnt quite have the elan of a hanger! According to one of my female friends, she finds it extremely disturbing to watch me strop a razor, especially with that (to me beautiful) singing sound on the stroke. She actually flinches when she hears it. Its not really a public activity.

They're shorter than a hanger, so you'll need to do more laps.

You can't easily hang them from your doorknob (they'll bang on the door when it's opened or closed).

Other than that they're great. My main strop of late is a horsehide/linen paddle.

I have an extra wide TI paddle strop and it is very poorly made. The leather is not fair (flat) on either side. It was designed to have spring but the portion the leather sits on is already curved inwards. The gaps are about 1/8th so I filled mine with 1/8 balsa sheet so it is now flat but the leather is still crap. This was a very disappointing purchase and it wasn't cheap. I am waiting for one of Tony's.

I kind of grudge paying quite lot of money for what is essentially, a piece of leather which deliberately and patently isnt as wide as the tool it was designed for. It just seems mental. Thanks Syzygy, for the heads-up on the T.I. paddles strop. I suppose I should be surprised, but am kinda not. I had a Dovo one which seemed fine for the money.

3fa

I have an extra wide TI paddle strop and it is very poorly made. The leather is not fair (flat) on either side. It was designed to have spring but the portion the leather sits on is already curved inwards. The gaps are about 1/8th so I filled mine with 1/8 balsa sheet so it is now flat but the leather is still crap. This was a very disappointing purchase and it wasn't cheap. I am waiting for one of Tony's.

Totally agree, i have both and the TI is not worth the money.
Go for a Paddle strop from Tony, it's awsome :thumbup1:

Top Bottom