What's new

Pacquiao v. Margarito

Thought I'd post a thread for thoughts and comments on the upcoming fight between these two. I can't say I'm really looking forward to it, as I generally disagree that Margarito should be able to cash such a large paycheck after the hand wrap fiasco. But, I guess I would rather see this fight than a Pacquiao rematch with Cotto, even though Cotto is perhaps my favorite fighter.

Ideally, I'd like to keep Mayweather out of this thread as it's worthy of a thread of its own, but that is obviously hopeless.

has the 24/7 started for this fight?

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I guess a lot will depend on Margarito's ability to put a horseshoe in his glove.

I tend to agree that Pacquiao is going to win this fight. The Margarito supporters make a lot of noise about the type of pressure that he applies, but I'm not so sure that it's going to be so effective here. When he does try to apply pressure, I think Pacquiao has the ability to thwart that pressure with effective, powerful punching when Margarito tries to work his way in. That will especially start to show in the 6th and 7th rounds, and by the 9th and 10th round I think it will have clearly taken a toll on Margarito. Manny always makes fighters pay for trying to get inside.

It's strange against Cotto, Margarito was suffocating and stunning whenever he attacked Cotto. But against Mosley he was just Blah not very into it. Mosleys speed was too much for him. So now if you put him in the ring with Pacquiao you're tripling the speed, so it really doesn't look good for Margarito. Put him in with another brawler like Cotto you have a good fight but if you put him in with a Boxer then you're setting him up to loose. No matter how much punishment he can take.

But the thing I love about Boxing is that you never know? That one Punch is all it takes sometimes. But I am not going to put any money on it. Not with this fight.

Loaded gloves and all, if they were or not. Especially if they were not that fight was Margarito's Cotto was just not ready for him and underestimated him.

Margacheato should not have been allowed to fight ever again yet alone receive the payday he is about to receive.

It's strange against Cotto, Margarito was suffocating and stunning whenever he attacked Cotto. But against Mosley he was just Blah not very into it. Mosleys speed was too much for him. So now if you put him in the ring with Pacquiao you're tripling the speed, so it really doesn't look good for Margarito. Put him in with another brawler like Cotto you have a good fight but if you put him in with a Boxer then you're setting him up to loose. No matter how much punishment he can take.

But the thing I love about Boxing is that you never know? That one Punch is all it takes sometimes. But I am not going to put any money on it. Not with this fight.

Loaded gloves and all, if they were or not. Especially if they were not that fight was Margarito's Cotto was just not ready for him and underestimated him.

I feel like there should be a Cotto - Margarito rematch, but every time I think about that I then think of Cotto's face at the end of the Margarito fight. Not a pretty picture.

In any case, for your viewing pleasure a link to the Face Off Interview with the fighters, trainers, and Max Kellerman.

ouch

Manny will hit him with so many lefts, Margarito will beg him for a right.

It's Steroids vs. Plaster hands.:001_rolle

I'd say good money is on Paqman. He's fast and hits HARD, just ask Hatton. Manny's speed will not allow Margarito to fight his style of fight.

Hmmm me thinks its a bit stiff to pin Pacquiao as a juicer when really what evidence has there ever been of this against him?

PED usage in boxing is very rare - the only ones I can think of immediately were morons James Toney and Fernando Vargas.

Maybe I've missed a story or two on Manny but I think when you dominate consistantly for a while people will throw mud and I dunno if much of it is justified for him.

I don't thnk anyone can read much into his refusal to do the Olympic style testing that PBF wanted as all that contract stuff was a 'whose XXXX is bigger contest' - with each of them wanting to be the one dictating terms to the other.

Anyway - for this matchup it looks pretty open and shut - Margarito is a long way from the walk down robot who destroyed all comers for a few yrs.

He's been fighting from a very young age and I think Pacquiao will just have too much speed and variation for Margy to handle.

Hopefully there's a beatdown waiting for him as I think loading his gloves - as he did try to do in the Mosley fight is pretty despicable and I'd say its LIKELY this happened previously and both Cotto and Cintron have never been the same since.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't thnk anyone can read much into his refusal to do the Olympic style testing that PBF wanted as all that contract stuff was a 'whose XXXX is bigger contest' - with each of them wanting to be the one dictating terms to the other.

I think that is precisely why people assume Manny has used PED's. I mean what reason could he possibly have to avoid testing if he was in fact clean?

ouch

Margarito.............. He's been fighting from a very young age

Whenever I think of this, the first name that springs to mind is Wilfredo Benitez- a great fighter who was spent at age 24.

I think that is precisely why people assume Manny has used PED's. I mean what reason could he possibly have to avoid testing if he was in fact clean?

He had a valid reason (to my mind) for not wanting to have blood drawn before the fight. He did agree to have his blood tested after the fight, as has been stated before.

Mayweather was scared that his perfect record would end against Manny, and was ducking him, plain and simple.

Top Bottom