What's new

Packing for Travel

Hey everyone. So I start my new job in a couple weeks, and it comes with a good deal of regular travel. I absolutely intend to take my wet shaving gear with me on my journeys. What are some best practices for packing your shaving gear? I’ve looked at razor holsters and various rolls, etc. Some very cool vintage travel sets out there, but what about modern ones? Any good tips? Thanks in advance!

Legion

Staff member
Myself, I keep a small travel brush in a pill bottle with holes in the lid. I have a leather wrap for my straight razor, and a rollable kangaroo leather strop in a plastic box. Shave stick in a plastic tube. Then it all just gets thrown in a Dopp kit with my toothbrush, and whatever else.

When I used to travel, I just used an electric razor. Shaves weren't great but it made for far easier traveling.

How minimal do you want to go, is air travel involved?

7B5D1D24-1CE4-4298-92BF-4137C23E8837.jpeg

I used an electric razor for nearly 25 years and then finally ditched it for traditional shaving. Now when I use the electric my face gets really irritated. Makes sense, really. That’s a lot of metal rubbing your face thousands of times a minute. for sure it would be more convenient, but the electric stays put away :pipe:

Synthetic brush, tube of cream, safety razor and a tuck of blades, moisturiser - all in a small, foldable dopp kit.

For international travel, swap out the safety/blades for a cartridge razor: anything else is too much for airport security staff to see as anything other than a broadsword. :p

Basic Dopp bag with hook from AZ
93A7AA26-FCAC-45D6-9D94-90F30A708C2A.jpeg

What’s inside

61C45975-9378-4F85-BF5E-18021EC270A8.jpeg

Lord Tech clone with a leather cover
19mm Mühle Synthetic STF brush in a Captain’s Choice leather cover
Travel size Proraso Green 75ml
100ml Travel size AS in an E-Liquids bottle with a super safe cap
Turkish copper barber bowl
Double walled Espresso mug with face towel
Extra mirror in case light or mirror is subpar at destination
Styptic matches
Blades
a disposable if I fly carry on only

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I use a synthetic brush for travel because they dry faster. I take a shave stick because it's smaller than a tub. I put some WH in a small bottle. I grab one of the razors. It all fits easily into the Dopp bag.

But if you're not checking your bag you have a blade problem. For one or two nights I'd probably just take a Bic Metal disposable.

I use a synthetic brush for travel because they dry faster. I take a shave stick because it's smaller than a tub. I put some WH in a small bottle. I grab one of the razors. It all fits easily into the Dopp bag.

But if you're not checking your bag you have a blade problem. For one or two nights I'd probably just take a Bic Metal disposable.
Hmm yeah I didn’t think about the blades being an issue for carry-on luggage. That’s a great point…

BIC Metal or Gillette Guard razor for carry on. For checked luggage, an inexpensive Tech razor & DE blades (blades in a hard plastic tuck). Speick soap stick in a ziplock baggie or pill bottle. Speick splash in a small squirt bottle. Razorock Bruce or Yaqi Sagrada Familia synth brush. Pill bottle with holes drilled top and bottom to hold the brush. All the shaving stuff goes into a small nylon mesh zipper bag.

When I think international, I'm thinking this is all I really need.
Pop into Pharmacy when I arrive or have a splash delivered locally to my hotel and I should be set.

In my carry-on will be a stick of Speick and a couple BIC Metals, for redundancy.

BF3CBF1A-5A35-48D6-B764-52F354826CBB.jpeg

0E4336BF-2F94-43B8-8E20-86E3C798E742.jpeg

It's easy enough to substitute the kit with one of these as well
ECA6396D-A7DE-4D65-A164-88FF4A3C6605.jpeg

863249EA-A52B-415F-B80C-B6BF154F6010.jpeg

For air travel not supposed to carry on DE blades. With a lot of travel in the past I have gone minimalist. Sensor cart and Palmolive cream, no brush.

When I think international, I'm thinking this is all I really need.
Pop into Pharmacy when I arrive or have a splash delivered locally to my hotel and I should be set.

In my carry-on will be a stick of Speick and a couple BIC Metals, for redundancy.

View attachment 1537518
View attachment 1537520

It's easy enough to substitute the kit with one of these as well
View attachment 1537521
View attachment 1537522
I saw these on ebay, uses a Muhle head, right? How’s the aggressiveness?

I saw these on ebay, uses a Muhle head, right? How’s the aggressiveness?
Check on Amazon for the Heritage.
It IS a Mühle R89 head (as opposed to the KCG) with a vintage inspired handle from Gillette.

My primary travel kit is a Mühle Rytmo (R89) with the Ash handle. I really like my R89, as it's been pretty much my daily shaver all year. Shaves very effective, smooth, and some would say mild which is fine by me. I have others which can satisfy that that void.

To be fair, anything with an exposed blade has to carry some level of bite to it.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: CCS

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
You can consider buying de blades at your destination. Longer trips and if you are organized unlike me you could mail a few blades ahead to your hotel. And or travel with a disposable.

You can consider buying de blades at your destination. Longer trips and if you are organized unlike me you could mail a few blades ahead to your hotel. And or travel with a disposable.

That’s a consideration this time around. I’m heading to Oklahoma City and there’s a shave shop I want to check out there. Carwins. Could pick up something interesting there, including blades. Thanks for the suggestion!

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
That’s a consideration this time around. I’m heading to Oklahoma City and there’s a shave shop I want to check out there. Carwins. Could pick up something interesting there, including blades. Thanks for the suggestion!
And another reason (excuse) to buy more cool stuff
Haven’t heard of that shop. Keep us posted after you stop there. Thanks and happy shaves.

Top Bottom