What's new

Packing a Strop

Seems I'm going to be travelling more this coming year than I planned. With that in mind, I'll be taking a razor or two and am waffling if I want to be stuffing my Tony Miller 3" strop in a suitcase. I really don't want to spend a whole lot of cash for another (Miller makes a "travel strop" which is just what the Dr. ordered...but is $48.00 plus shipping. No doubt worth it but...). Yeah, I know I could do that whole newspaper thing, but really??? I'd rather not..that's just me.

Question is, how iffy it it to pack a strop? Do you roll it up? If so how tightly? I'm thinking I might just buy a $25 special from TSS or WCS as I surely don't want to bollocks up my Heirloom Old No. 2. Any input??

My suitcase is large enough for the strop to wrap around the sides, wrapped in bubble wrap, or across the top of a packed duffle. I got a smaller TM just for travel, before Tony started making the one you mention.

Unless its a shell strop I would not roll it at all to take it wit me. bending it too far just once will leave wrinkles in the surface you will not remove if not a kink as well. Buy a cheap strop for the trip or maybe just a replacement leather component even that you can lay flat against a side of a box or suitcase. Shell would be my choice for traveling because you can roll it reasonably with no ill effects.

I hear roo strops can be gently rolled up... I have neither tried this nor condone it
I had a Roo strop that rolled up quite well and was able to slide into a normal size prescription pill bottle. Roo is very thin at a mm thick but very durable.

$IMG_9247.jpg$IMG_9248.jpg

Last edited:
I travel all the time with my strop, but I have a hardshell suitcase. So I can leave it flat in the zipped net under the hard cover of the case.
Careful which razor you pack as you never know if your suitcase will make it or not.
Also, it can be hard on the razor to be packed back in a bag with a not so dry badger, so I recommend a replaceable stainless.
The Titan at $40 works great for me.
I just ordered a Bakkus too, to take a pair with me, but that one has not arrived yet, so I can not comment on it.

Legion

Staff member
I had a Roo strop that rolled up quite well and was able to slide into a normal size prescription pill bottle. Roo is very thin at a mm thick but very durable.

View attachment 429713View attachment 429714

How awesome is that thing!!????? :001_tongu

Haha. Roo is different because it is so thin, you can get away with that.

For a normal cow or horse leather, please don't roll it. Pack it flat in a safe, non denting part of the suitcase.

Get the TM. I got it and am AMAZED at the quality. Worth the extra 23 bucks. It's so very well thought out for travel.

I just traveled with a strop and it was damaged. A few words of caution that I intend on doing before the next flight. It appears TSA had some interest in it and unwrapped the towel that I had wrapped around it and it slid to the bottom on the duffle bag (bare) where the were some sand and small crushed chat/gravel from the vibram soles of my work boots. It was a little scratched up and a couple of good gouges/sharp dents.

In the future, I plan on wrapping it in a towel and either casing it (http://yhst-27988581933240.stores.y...0mm-made-by-shigemori-aoki-made-in-ja630.html) or wrapping in newspaper with a Leave As Found note to TSA. You might also include a few small pieces of sand paper (320 - 2k) to smooth out any imperfections. I was caught short at my final destination a small ville) and had to make due with some worn out 80 grit.

I wouldn't go as far as securing a travel strop. A few extra steps and you should be fine. Just remember, all bags do not.make their final destination with you or at all. Chances are better today than 20 years ago, if it's valuable carry with you. If you can't carry with you, mail it to your final destination.

As far as carbon steel blades, I'd be careful on long trips with temp fluctuations. I've had blades sweat in their hard cases before.

I have a foodsaver and use the vac seal bags that come in roll and I have to cut to length and heat crimp each side to seal my coffee beans in. The narrowest heat seal roll of that you can find will make a perfect sleeve. I can post a pic if needed.

I travel all the time with my strop, but I have a hardshell suitcase. So I can leave it flat in the zipped net under the hard cover of the case..

This is what I do.

Traveled to Japan countless times like this, no problemo. A flat strop takes up about zero space in a suitcase while laying flat.

Legion

Staff member
That is the way to go, if you are in the position of using a hard sided case. Myself, I always have a duffle bag or pack, so stuff is just chucked in there, and at the mercy of the baggage handler walking on it. So... it depends on you travel style. If your luggage allows for it, use a regular strop, and pack it properly. If not, look at the cased alternatives, small paddle strops, or improvise with newspaper (it can work if required.)

Legion

Staff member
Here is another alternative. I use a rolled strop much like the one Life2short71 posted, but before that I used a paddle strop like this. A piece of good leather, bonded to a surface, and then protected from dents will do the job for you.

proxy.php

Top Bottom