What's new

PAA Twelve Days of Christmas Project ("Advent Calendar")

Door 6 - Lime Ginger Tea Tree

20211205_225701.jpg

Scent Profile: Lime, Ginger, Tea Tree

This is a very gentle and soothing scent. One that would probably be very suitable for those with sensitive skin. The lime is particularly gentle, and if one note dominates, it is probably the tea tree. Mildly disappointing, but good for the package's variety.

Verdict: great lather, but downright boring by my standards. Another one for the give away.

On the seventh day of Christmas, PAA sent to me: a stinky night in "hot" Miami.

Day 7 - Miami Libre

20211206_084501.jpg

Scent Profile: Organic Lime, coumarin, benzoin resin, Madagascar vanilla, & white sage - this must be a typo, because it's exactly what Lime Ice Sage said, and doesn't represent this scent.

Uffda, this one is not for me. There's a strong tobacco spice that really dominates the soap, and I was rather put off. At first, the Aftershave balances that powerful tobacco with a burst of mint, lime (mojito), and green, but after only a few minutes, the tobacco cocktail cuts through. Soon enough, anything else is gone.

After about an hour, I had to go wash my face and detox with Cool Water. :D

Verdict: For someone who enjoys an interesting twist on a strong tobacco scent - just not me!

Door 8 - Holliday

20211206_084556.jpg

Scent Profile: Lime, patchouli, Mint

Eight days of Christmas down, and this is the 4th scent involving lime already (5, if you count Old Salty). I feel like a not-so-subtle message is being sent (scent?)...

Especially right after being burned by Miami Libre, I was surprised to see another mojito-esque iteration. Mercifully, this one's really nice. The mint and lime are up front, with a noticeable undercurrent of patchouli, which lends a masculine hand to a profile that could be too light and fruity.

Verdict: Works for Doc Holliday (apparently). Works for me. Keeping this for an interesting summer alternative to the royal favorite of Sea Spice Lime.

Happy New Year and A Blessed threefold feast day!

That's the first one you've shared that might end up on my shelf.
I recently got cold spices and CAD, both are great soaps but their scent is just not my cup of tea. I hate babypowder/talcum!

Makes me wonder why PAA doesn't make more fresh/marine orientated stuff. Current offer (at least in BE and NL) are mostly just not for me. Too much, too complexe, too 'old'.
Pitty, Pitty cause I love their soaps.

Door 9 - Otra

20211206_084642.jpg

Scent Profile: French lavender, Bergamot, petitgrain, rose geranium, tonka bean, Clary Sage, fir needle, Pine, Juniper, chamomile, bamboo, Cedar Wood, Haitian vetiver, Rosewood, purple Sandalwood, Rose absolute, Hay absolute, oakmoss absolute. (WOOF)

OK, this is the crazy kind of thing I sort of expected from this calendar. I'll be plucked if I can pick out any specific scent from this gigantic mess, but it's definitely a complex and interesting smell. He goes on to mention seaweed extract, white clover, and cornflower in the description, but not the profile I quoted above!

In essence, this is supposed to be a very complicated fit of whimsy that's related to PAA's Al Fin scent. A towering stack of greens and florals on top of a base fougere. I reckon some people who love PAA's more "esoteric" scents, or fans of floral fougere would dig this.

The soap was actually kind of disappointing on my face after a nice "jar smell", but the splash really brings everything together with a heady aroma.

Verdict: Pleasant. Maybe more than that, but I don't love it as much as others probably will, and it's quite a curiosity. Fun! Ridiculous. But fun!

Door 10 - 1K

20211206_084737.jpg

Scent Profile: anise, beeswax absolute, Rose, lavender, lemon, Bergamot Jasmine, licorice, Cedar, Pine, Patchouli, Amber, dark musk, vanilla bean, vetiver

Here's another wild one. The associated sheet says Good N Plenty candy was the inspiration, and that's certainly the most immediate thing that springs to mind. However, both the soap and aftershave have a pretty strong honey/beeswax thing going on which, in my estimation, compliments and softens the anise and makes it creamy and somewhat sweet. The citrus, wood, vetiver, and patchouli prevent it from being cloying though,and especially once the A/S goes on, this is a long lasting, unique, and complex scent.

Verdict: Good, and possibly better. I'm going to hang on to this one and see how it rewards repeated use.

Door 11 - Spring-Heeled Jack

20211206_084826.jpg

Scent Profile: Coffee (coffee Arabic absolute, organic coffee Arabic essential oil, organic coffee Arabic hydrosol), and nothing but.

I popped this one open and went "wow!", and then again when I slapped the A/S on my face. This is a great smell - black, strong, highly aromatic coffee, without any sweetening up or adulteration.

It's gentle and very pleasant from the soap (have I mentioned how great this Lather is?) , and a big smack in the face from the aftershave.

Verdict: Terrific novelty scent, and just darn good. But...would I want it as part of my shaving routine? I have no idea.

And Door 12 - Coconut Oud

20211206_084913.jpg

Scent Profile: Coconut, Oud, vanilla, leather.

The last couple of months have proven to me that I'm not a fan of Oud, and so this one was predestined to fall flat, but I gave it the old college try.

The soap is, as usual, fairly subdued in Scent and is more coconutty than anything else, albeit with a savory depth. The splash really brings out the Oud, and after half an hour or so, it is the dominant note.

Verdict: Not a fan. Those interested in Oud should find this pretty intriguing, though. It is a deep, lightly sweet, complex scent.

And seeing as that wraps this up, I'll probably PIF a bunch of these right here in this thread tonight or tomorrow. Unless mods require me to create a new post for that. I thought it would be nice to do it low pressure and favor those who have been following my little thread for the last few weeks.

Ok gentlemen, I'm ready to send these out to new homes.

20220106_094842.jpg

20220106_095013.jpg

Each of these has been used generously, once. There's an ounce of both soap and aftershave for each set, so quite a hefty sample remains!

Here's what I'd like to do if you've been following the thread and no one stops me.

Just send me a message if you're interested in what you've seen and would like one or more samples. I will select recipients based on a combination of first-come, first-serve and my own discretion in trying to share with multiple interested parties.

Here's a briefly re-stated list of the scents that I'm offering and their profiles:

1. Pomegranate Bay - Pomegranate & Bay Rum
  2. Tokyo Rose - Rose & Cherry Blossom
  3. Rustler's Ridge - Green/woodsy Vanilla
  4. Lime Ginger Tea Tree
  5. Miami Libre - Mojito & Cuban Cigar
  6. Otra - "Esoteric" green/floral fougere
  7. Spring-Heeled Jack - COFFEE
  8. Coconut Oud
Come and get 'em!

Hi! I'd be open to any of the samples, since I'm still working on the first puck of the first shaving soap I've used. I am intrigued by the Pomegranate Bay Rum, and Rustler's Ridge.

Thanks for your consideration!

Hi! I'd be open to any of the samples, since I'm still working on the first puck of the first shaving soap I've used. I am intrigued by the Pomegranate Bay Rum, and Rustler's Ridge.

Thanks for your consideration!

Sure - please send me a message as requested above and I'll put you into consideration!

I have gotten a lot of inquiries and may not be able to send something to everyone, but am hopeful.

Since these are going to be going out just one or two at a time, I am going to take my time and make a trip to get some small bubble mailers to keep shipping costs down for myself.

Tomorrow I will post up a list of who will be receiving what. Thanks for your interest and patience - this has been a fun process for me!

Good morning all, this PIF is wrapped up

I have 7 takers for scents, and did my best to meet everyone's requests. See below for scents:

@samasourus - Miami Libre & Lime Ginger Tea Tree soap
@slimshavy - Spring-Heeled Jack & Lime Ginger Tea Tree A/S
@Balthier - Tokyo Rose
@tthoms - Rustler's Ridge
@hugosf - Otra
@Ckmaui - Pomegranate Bay
@MountainBear - Coconut Oud

I'll let y'all know when these go out early next week.

Top Bottom