What's new

PAA Twelve Days of Christmas Project ("Advent Calendar")

So, I bit on the Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Advent Calendar, and since it's not particularly appropriate for Advent, but is the perfect length for Christmastide (Christmas Day through the Vigil of Epiphany), I've decided to save it and open the doors from December 25th through January 5th.

20211204_184058.jpg

I thought I'd document my daily opening and shave here, as well as invite anyone else who might have picked this up to join me!

Here are my (loose) rules for myself:

1. Open a door every day between 12/25 and 1/5 for the Twelve Days of Christmas
2. Perform my daily shave with the soap and aftershave combo for that day
3. Share my pictures and thoughts daily
4. On December 6th (Feast of the Epiphany), I'll PIF anything from the calendar that I didn't enjoy (and more!)

I'll start on Christmas Day, Deo volente!

Rats, that should, of course, be JANUARY 6th for #4. If someone sees this and can edit my post, I'd appreciate it!

I am jealous. I wanted to because I like their products. But as far as smells go it's 50/50 so I decided to hold off. Have fun my friend!!

And here we go!

Door 1 - Old Salty

20211205_225155.jpg

Scent Profile: Lime, cucumber, Lavender, balsam, oakmoss, and musk "wrapped in a subtle burst of ocean air"

Note: a box of 5 Platinum Strangelets was included as well.

This sounds like a scent that was released several years previously, based on Swedish Dream Sea Salt soap (I've never used).

I haven't used PAA's CK6 soap base before, but it's very well performing, easy to lather, and quite slick. Therefore, all my comments are going to be directed at scent.

As a big fan of oceanic/aquatic scents, I was delighted when I found this behind door number one. The scent is definitely quite salty /briny more than anything else mentioned in PAA's description. Very clean and fresh smelling. The herbal/fruit notes are much more noticeable in the aftershave. Considerably different in character than any other soap /Aftershave that I've tried to date.

Verdict: I like this a lot and will definitely keep and finish the sample.

On the second day of Christmas, PAA sent to me: a pomegranate in a bay tree.

Door 2 - Pomegranate Bay

20211205_225341.jpg

Scent Profile: Pomegranate and "lite" West Indian spices

This one is pretty self explanatory: a big nose full of fruity pomegranate integrated with bay rum. It deserves to be said, and especially about a PAA scent, that the bay rum is indeed in the back seat here, and pretty gentle. The fruit is very much out front, but the spice gently rolls out as the aftershave fades.

Verdict: pleasant, refreshing, but fruity scents aren't really my area. I think I'll put this one on the PIF pile.

Door 3 - Lime Ice Sage

20211205_225447.jpg

Scent Profile: Organic Lime, coumarin, benzoin resin, Madagascar vanilla, & white sage

Well I'm pretty sure I just said I wasn't big on fruity scents, but lime always makes a liar of me whenever I utter something like that. I'd yet to try a mentholated lime soap/aftershave, and this is just that plus a certain complexity of spices - with the vanilla, it is almost lime creamsicle-like, but there's enough benzoin and sage to throw in a savory twist here and there. Actually a more complicated scent than one might assume.

The menthol is not highly noticeable in the scent profile, and is pretty light on the face feel. Too, this is one of few scents that my wife has really taken notice of. She caught me right after my shave, took a deep whiff, and planted a few kisses on my cheeks just to check things out, then said it was "actually really nice" (she doesn't usually love it when I'm highly scented right after a shave).

Verdict: A keeper. I liked it quite a lot, and spousal approval makes it a sure thing.

Last edited:
Door 4 - Tokyo Rose

20211205_225529.jpg

Scent profile: Rose, cherry, ambergris, sandalwood, oud, amyris, cardamom

This was evidently Crown King's scent for Big Shave West 3 in 2017. It's got a big, potent combination of rose and cherry blossom up front. The insert describes it as being reminiscent of Cherry Coke - and that's not far off. However, the Cherry/Rose combo is really assertive, and the woody/spicy notes are really in the background for me. A very interesting experience, but I found it cloying. Then again, I enjoy powerful scents in profiles that I like, so I think the combo is probably just not for me.

Verdict: Too much for me. I almost had to go wash my face off. For those who enjoy rose and florals, this may be a winner. This one shall be passed on.

Door 5 - Rustler's Ridge

20211205_225606.jpg

Scent Profile: Vanilla, ozone, prickly pear, Sage, musk, Spruce, Cedar

Here have a typical woodsy/outdoor "earth and fresh air" sort of scent, but matched in even proportion with vanilla. This is an interesting combo, and seems like it would make a fine summer aromatic experience.

Little do they know, I'm not fond of wearing vanilla (just in my treats, please). Especially with the Aftershave, it's enough to edge out the rest of the scent profile.

Verdict: Pass, but points for originality. Someone out there will like this better than I will.

Top Bottom