What's new

PAA Splashes and maybe soaps - Give me a few recommendations

Looking for a few recommendations. Already have Cold Spices and The Beach is on the way. Here’s the other ones I’m considering: Aloha Smackdown, John Frum, Awesome Sauce, Sangre De Drago, Future Fiction, Good Vibrations, Dapper Doc, and Garden of Bali.

Questions about some of these in no particular order:
  1. For Splashes I don’t think I want much floral, but maybe don’t mind in the background. A couple of these I listed that have florals as main notes: Dapper Doc, Garden of Bali. Also noticed there were certain amount of raves for Honeysuckle. Do you recommend one over the others as extra nice and not too floral?
  2. Awesome Sauce has Eucalyptus. I used some Noxema as a preshave b4 and couldn’t stand the overwhelming eucalyptus. But Awesome Sauce gets raves. Is the Eucalyptus more hidden?
  3. I already have King of Oud and love that, but couldn’t stand some other oud I had as too loud. How does the Sangre De Drago compare? Is it similar to KOA in scent or a completely different animal?

I like Future Fiction. If I where you I would get their samples of shaving soaps and aftershaves you are thinking about. I like their products they are good.

The eucalyptus in Awesome Sauce is at the front of the experience. To my recollection, it is gone in about 20 minutes, leaving a pleasant, soothing sweetness which I think is tonka bean.

To reiterate Samasourus, get the samples first.

My favs are: CaD, Black Bot, Fresco, Awesome Sauce, and Lo Haiku. As you can see, I like the replicas (in many cases improved) of older scents. I am not much of a floral person.

Et Tu, Awesome Sauce, and Tribute are great in my book. I tried DAB and Lo Haiku samples...I'd like to try them again, but they look like they are being discontinued by the end of this month.

So far my favorites are probably Space Nog which seems to last an extra long time and the beach. I have sampled good vibrations a little less pure beach like they say a barbershop boardwalk. The rest are hard to choose none are bad like doppelganger black, gondolier, and future fiction were all nice. Awesome sauce is really good, but doesn't last that long imo so why not just get the real thing imo. If you don't like florals stay far away from garden of bali, to me it's like a pure floral. Mega flora is definitely less floral, but still obvious. I'm waiting for summer seasonals, specifically immortal peach and aloha smackdown.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
🤔 FF is a safe bet, great scent. GoB is a heavy, intoxicating floral... Jasmine, perhaps. Mega Flora is my best fougere, and I have about five such soaps and AS. Lump of Coal was the best Christmas seasonal, but it's good any day. Rabid Banana is just a blast, my wife loves it.

Easier to list the mehs. Tombstone is a fairly linear leather scent, Mars 365 (whatever) is a watered-down sandalwood, though the scent is real s-wood. All of them (soaps) work very well regardless of formula.

AA

I have several PAA soaps and aftershaves. Awesome Sauce, Cold Spices, Atomic Bay Rum, Diver Down, and Droid Black, like them all, but the Atomic Bay Rum has become my favorite. Looking into Red Planet, Agharta, Fresco, and Controversy. PAA soaps and aftershaves are my go to products.....excellent performance.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Atomic Age Bay Rum
Atomic Pumpkin
Space Nog
Classico Bay Rum
Coconut Bay with Lime
Fresco
Droid Black
Porthos
Red Planet 369
Supreme Sandalwood Science
Speakeasy

I am a big fan of their Lavender, but they are not making it currently.

I like CaD as a standard barbershop scent.
I tried High Jump, and initially liked it, but I became a bit sensitive to it. You just never know...
Harvest Moon is my go to Fall scent. It really encapsulates the season.
Red Planet is an interesting twist on barbershop.
I wish I had stocked up on more Han Polo, but I am glad I have some left.

I have some samples coming. All of this is very subjective, and I think companies are smart to offer samples.

I would really like to attend the Big Shave Southwest so that I could find out for myself what all of these smell like.

How strong or long lasting are the scents for the various PAA products? Is there a reason they list splashes as Aftershave/Cologne instead of just AS? I've got a bunch of the aftershave samples coming and if i like some of them I would be open to trying out the body soaps, shampoo bars, and deodorants, but it all seems kind of pointless if the scents don't last. Based on my experience with Stirling's body bars, shampoo bars, and shave soaps the scents were completely gone once they were rinsed off which makes me wonder why i wouldn't just get unscented everything and be done with it.

How strong or long lasting are the scents for the various PAA products? Is there a reason they list splashes as Aftershave/Cologne instead of just AS? I've got a bunch of the aftershave samples coming and if i like some of them I would be open to trying out the body soaps, shampoo bars, and deodorants, but it all seems kind of pointless if the scents don't last. Based on my experience with Stirling's body bars, shampoo bars, and shave soaps the scents were completely gone once they were rinsed off which makes me wonder why i wouldn't just get unscented everything and be done with it.
They last about 3-5 hours for me, depending on the scent of course. I'm talking about the AS/Colognes.

JCarr

I've always found that PAA afterhsaves have pretty good longevity.

I've always found that PAA afterhsaves have pretty good longevity.
That's good to know. Hopefully i'll find a fragrance or two I like. Still curious how the soaps hold up before i start ordering a bunch of different products. Anyone have experience with their soaps, be it shave, body, or shampoo?

JCarr

That's good to know. Hopefully i'll find a fragrance or two I like. Still curious how the soaps hold up before i start ordering a bunch of different products. Anyone have experience with their soaps, be it shave, body, or shampoo?

Shave soaps are excellent performers...provide very good slickness. Easy to lather...non-tallow. I generally prefer tallow-based soaps, but PAA soaps really give the best tallow-based soaps a run for their money.

Top Bottom