What's new

THEHTGAM/PPF/PH0ENIX/D0UGLAS/H0DGES/FRANCES Thread

Thank you very much indeed for posting this review. This is the type of thing that people do for masters degrees! What a privilege to read it!

This is the absolute best review I've ever seen. I'm very impressed with your in depth look at this razor. I was actually thinking about picking this razor up at sometime but now I think I'll have to take a pass.

VERY impressive analysis! :thumbsup:
Like you, I can't get a decent shave from this one. That -.21mm blade gap certainly helps to illustrate reason as to why.

Very detailed. Nice pics. Precise measurements. Thank you!

I also was thinking about getting this OC razor, but now I think I may have to get the Parker 24c instead.

Thanks, guys! It took time to put this review together, so I'm glad that you guys appreciate it. :thumbup1: Something that I failed to mention was that when I was researching what razor to get as my first safety razor, I found that the PAA DOC was generally said to be mild yet efficient. That was a big reason for picking it. My review supports a different opinion of the razor based on quantitative measurements and analysis. This is the type of information that I was looking for back when I got the razor, but a review like this didn't exist. Now it does. :001_smile My review of the EJ Kelvin will also be thorough and include photo analysis results never seen before.

It sure would be nice if measurements like yours here were available for all of the popular razor models. Your photo showing blade exposure and angle alone, even apart from your helpful measurements, is very informative. Thanks.

It sure would be nice if measurements like yours here were available for all of the popular razor models. Your photo showing blade exposure and angle alone, even apart from your helpful measurements, is very informative. Thanks.

You're welcome, and you're absolutely right about how great it would be if we had similar measurements for popular razors. That's one of the reasons for my picking the EJ Kelvin (having the standard EJ DE89 head). I wanted to try a modern-day classic and do photo analysis with it, and my review will come eventually. I have the Bevel waiting for me after that. From there, I don't know where I'd go. The Merkur 34C would be another modern-day classic that I'd like to do analysis for, but I'm partial to buying three-piece razors.

Impressive indeed. Actual data is what most other reviews are lacking (completely), so you are basically left with just an elaborately explained personal opinion. I prefer the scientific approach. :)

Wow! You should do this for... Well, pretty much every razor you can find then compile them into a book and sell it! I, without hesitation, would add that book to my Amazon cart even if it cost $100. That would be the most detailed record of safety razors to probably ever exist so far. Great work

Great analysis which explains some of the behavior I have encountered with this razor. (After reading this you wonder how the PAA DOC does shave at all. :001_smile )

I hope you continue with the photo analysis and that you will include classic Gillette Razors too.

Great review though, imo, just a little late!! This combination you reviewed hasn't been available for several months. PAA sells the satin with a 2pc travel handle, the same as the reviewed but nickel plated, and the stainless version which, from all the reviews I've encountered is a completely different razor and shave altogether. I had the nickel version back in February and it didn't last 3wks in my den... Horrible shave to say the least... It would be nice to see indepth reviews like this on newer razors that are just being released than ones that have been around for almost a year or longer...just saying...:a9:

Impressive indeed. Actual data is what most other reviews are lacking (completely), so you are basically left with just an elaborately explained personal opinion. I prefer the scientific approach. :)

Agreed. Well put. :001_smile

Wow! You should do this for... Well, pretty much every razor you can find then compile them into a book and sell it! I, without hesitation, would add that book to my Amazon cart even if it cost $100. That would be the most detailed record of safety razors to probably ever exist so far. Great work

Wow right back! What a great compliment. I've only done photo analysis so far for the PAA DOC Satin and the Dorco PL602, but I've taken photos for the EJ Kelvin and will analysis them and post a thorough review in the near future. Then comes the Bevel. So, right now, I'm only doing photo analysis for razors that I'm buying and using. However, I'm open to the possibility of analyzing other razors sent to me for photo analysis. I'm not up for that now, but maybe in the future.

Great analysis which explains some of the behavior I have encountered with this razor. (After reading this you wonder how the PAA DOC does shave at all. :001_smile )

I hope you continue with the photo analysis and that you will include classic Gillette Razors too.

I'm glad that you can relate to the analysis. Manufacturers don't mind giving blade gap, which is easy to measure with feeler gauges and doesn't really matter, but blade exposure and guard span are not so easy to measure and they matter a ton. I don't have any vintage razors yet, but I would like to analyze some classics.

Great review though, imo, just a little late!! This combination you reviewed hasn't been available for several months. PAA sells the satin with a 2pc travel handle, the same as the reviewed but nickel plated, and the stainless version which, from all the reviews I've encountered is a completely different razor and shave altogether. I had the nickel version back in February and it didn't last 3wks in my den... Horrible shave to say the least... It would be nice to see indepth reviews like this on newer razors that are just being released than ones that have been around for almost a year or longer...just saying...:a9:

No worries. You didn't burst my bubble. As detailed in the introduction, I posted plenty of photo analysis work back in July 2016. This review includes that material, other stuff that I posted on the PAA DOC Satin last year and several months ago, and new material and photos on the knurling, surface imperfections, and blade tab overhang. I just wanted to put everything together so that I would let myself move on to analyzing other razors.

I'm not surprised that you didn't like the nickel-plated version of the PAA DOC. It was probably a little worse than the PAA DOC Satin because the smooth nickel plating probably produced more friction than the textured satin finish. (I theorized about that in my review.) Otherwise, the dimensions and performance should be identical or nearly identical, which wasn't good for me, either. You're right about how the PAA Evolution is very different from the PAA DOC. The PAA Evolution is an efficient and "aggressive" razor with possibly large positive blade exposure and possibly average guard span.

I agree that it would be nice to see a photo analysis of that razor and other newer razors. Unfortunately, I'm the only one doing photo analysis at the moment and razor manufacturers apparently aren't interested in giving blade exposure, guard span, and blade angle information. If they shared that data, then you'd really have a good picture of how the razors perform without using them, and manufacturers want you to buy and use their razors. That's understandable. The only case that I'm aware of where a manufacturer has given the critical information is for the OneBlade. They are proud of their optimization process, as they should be, and kindly shared details. In their case, since they are charging hundreds of dollars, they must have felt the need to justify the cost. :laugh:

Having spent most of my worklife as an analyst, and thus being used to delivering readable reports based on actual facts, I must say that I'm deeply impressed. Thank you for sharing. It was fantastic to read even for a straight razor addict like me.

Having spent most of my worklife as an analyst, and thus being used to delivering readable reports based on actual facts, I must say that I'm deeply impressed. Thank you for sharing. It was fantastic to read even for a straight razor addict like me.

Awesome! You can probably tell that I have experience in analysis and technical writing, too. :001_smile

You could solve a lot of common questions if you were to do the same for the PAA Bakelite Open Comb Slant.

I'm sure that you're right. Maybe someone who has the razor could give photo analysis a try. My digital camera is kind of old, but it's good enough. The hardest part is getting everything set up for multiple shots. There's a lot to it that I haven't written about, and my method gets more refined each time I do it. I most recently added a close secondary light source (from a bright little flashlight) that I hold at the right place and angle to increase contrast and illuminate the blade edge while I snap pictures with my other hand. Also, I'm now getting the best shot from both sides and edges, which makes four shots. I've done this for the EJ Kelvin. I'll analyze all four photos and average the results soon.

Bar far the best write up on technical specifications and geometric values that I have ever read in a concise, thorough and easily readable review that is based on facts. Your report and analysis have brought the biggest truth to light: Exact numbers, measurements, precise dimensions and calculations never lie. Bravo amigo, Bravo...:a14:

Top Bottom