What's new

PAA Peregrino won't give it up, suggestions?

I recently purchased this brush and was surprised by the size of the handle. It's very comfortable to hold onto for bowl lathering and good looking.
The bristles are very soft and at first I thought what a wonderful brush this is but then one day I made a lather that was a little on the thin side and the brush would not give it up. No flow through. I couldn't paint the lather on and trying to squeeze it out and was just a disaster.
This was so irritating to me that I haven't picked it up since.

Any thoughts on saving this situation? Or just best to move on.
Thanks in advance..

My Brushes_14.jpeg

Last edited:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune

I recently purchased this brush and was surprised by the size of the handle. It's very comfortable to hold onto for bowl lathering and good looking.
The bristles are very soft and at first I thought what a wonderful brush this is but then one day I made a lather that was a little on the thin side and the brush would not give it up. No flow through. I couldn't paint the lather on and trying to squeeze it out and was just a disaster.

Thanks in advance..
The Peregrino is liked and/or loved by quite a few people here. It didn't work for me. Brushes, as I'm sure you know, are a subjective like or dislike. What one person just loves and raves about, others, like me in this case, have an opposite and equally strong opinion.

I guess you could make sure to add more soap if it gets too thin.... since that is really your only complaint at this time. My objection was face feel when splayed.

The Peregrino is liked and/or loved by quite a few people here. It didn't work for me. Brushes, as I'm sure you know, are a subjective like or dislike. What one person just loves and raves about, others, like me in this case, have an opposite and equally strong opinion.

I guess you could make sure to add more soap if it gets too thin.... since that is really your only complaint at this time. My objection was face feel when splayed.
I felt the face feel was very floppy but tolerable if .... You know what? I didn't like it either now that I'm thinking about it

According to the web site the dimensions are:
PAA Peregrino
24mm knot, 56 loft, 131 height
Fan/Bulb hybrid
I measured the base of the knot where it disappears into the handle and it measured 26mm.

I really wouldn't mind putting a new knot in it myself but I don't want to choose poorly or start randomly throwing money at it.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
According to the web site the dimensions are:
PAA Peregrino
24mm knot, 56 loft, 131 height
Fan/Bulb hybrid
I measured the base of the knot where it disappears into the handle and it measured 26mm.

I really wouldn't mind putting a new knot in it myself but I don't want to choose poorly or start randomly throwing money at it.
I had a mixed bristle brush.. not expensive... it would just not break in... the handle wasn't worth installing another knot in it.. After repeated wet/dry cycles, it showed no improvement and another guy here was still trying to get his to improve over months and months... his was set in a great handle. I got so annoyed with it, it was messing with my inner peace. I threw it away. ;)

I'm not suggesting that. A $20 brush makes the decision more difficult.. could you sell it? and then what? pay for shipping and break even on the shipping costs... that's about it. I PIFfed (Pay it forward, just in case you haven't come across the term yet) a brush to a member here... the shipping costs were more than I paid for the brush. LOL

Reactions: Kix
I had a mixed bristle brush.. not expensive... it would just not break in... the handle wasn't worth installing another knot in it.. After repeated wet/dry cycles, it showed no improvement and another guy here was still trying to get his to improve over months and months... his was set in a great handle. I got so annoyed with it, it was messing with my inner peace. I threw it away. ;)

I'm not suggesting that. A $20 brush makes the decision more difficult.. could you sell it? and then what? pay for shipping and break even on the shipping costs... that's about it. I PIFfed (Pay it forward, just in case you haven't come across the term yet) a brush to a member here... the shipping costs were more than I paid for the brush. LOL
I completely agree. Make me scratch my head and wonder if it's worth it or just time to move on.

I'm also wondering if because the top opening of the handle is measuring at 26mm but the knot is listed as a 24 if that means that the hole is tapered. In which case stuffing a new 24mm knot in it would be a fail.

Thanks BTW for your replies

Thanks in advance..

View attachment 1522524
I have the peregrino and it's a FANTASTIC face lathering brush for me. It's a lather beast. maybe you should try loading more, so you don't have a thinner lather? I test lather with the peregrino often and it makes a ton of lather and the lather does not get stuck in the brush at all.

I have the peregrino and it's a FANTASTIC face lathering brush for me. It's a lather beast. maybe you should try loading more, so you don't have a thinner lather? I test lather with the peregrino often and it makes a ton of lather and the lather does not get stuck in the brush at all.
Good to hear. Thanks for your reply and input.
That's how I feel about the Amber aerolite. Crazy good lather

Any thoughts on saving this situation?...
I too have the Peregrino and used it several times. Initially I liked the handle, which is comfortable indeed, but the bulbous end is just too massive. As a bowl user it drives me nuts every time any part of the brush hits the bowl, and that bulbous end does just that, like a clapper in a bell...
In my opinion, your problem might me that the brush didn't have much to give up. As you noticed, the bristles are very soft and one needs to load it much longer for it to pick up enough soap.
To save the situation, I would suggest keep using it and pay attention on the load.
Enjoy.

I agree that you are not loading enough. I always used badger then got one of these to try. It took me a while to figure it out because it is way softer and floppier then any other brush I’ve used, the loading process is different. Once I adjusted to it, this thing is a lather monster with super soft face feel. I load off the tub with a damp brush then add small amounts of water as I face lather. This is my new favourite brush now, I like it even better then my mid range silvertip badgers brushes. I’m completely sold on synthetics because of the Peregrino. Keep trying with it.

If you really love the handle you can always pull (or drill) the old knot and glue in a new knot. It was not an expensive brush, reknotting might not be worth the effort.

Often fan shaped knots like your Peregrino are used by folks who face lather. Since you bowl lather, you might prefer a bulb shaped knot. If you reknot the handle you could go with a different type of synthetic or even a badger knot. Just be sure to measure the diameter of the handle bore and order a new knot that is 1-2mm smaller. That allows room for the adhesive.

If you are unsure of the depth to set the knot, you can use clear silicone sealant to set the knot. Then if you need to reset it, you can remove the knot more easily than if you use epoxy. I have a Maggard SHD badger that I set in silicone and I am still using it that way. It is holding just fine. The 28mm SHD knot soaks up all the lather in the bowl, but releases it as needed for a four-pass shave. The 28mm, however, is a little too big since the SHD knot develops a huge bloom when wet. I wish I had gone with 24-26mm. If you want to stick with synthetic, there are various sources for the knots.

I have a variety of badger, boar, horsehair, and synthetic knots. Although I am partial to silvertip badger knots, I do use synthetics when lathering dark colored soaps, especially those with vanilla. My favorite synthetic is the Alexander Simpson Trafalger T3 knot. I also have a T2, but found that to be a little small since the knot does not splay a lot. The T3 is ideal for bowl lathering.

Some of the best descriptions of synthetic knot types are provided by Milton on the TurnnShave web site:

Under description, click on the dropdown arrow and then on the Learn More About This Item button. That will help you chose the perfect knot for you.

All excellent suggestions, Thank you all.
I'm giving knot replacement a thought. Just purchased a 24MM G5B

I always think my Peregrino is my favorite, until I use the amber aerolite… then that’s my favorite. And on it goes. Oh, and I can’t understand how the Peregrino gets knocked re: being a poor bowl latherer… I certainly have had no trouble there.

This brush is a custom Rudy vey handle and a PAA synthetic knot set a bit lower, at around 52mm loft. This thing is very well balanced, maybe something to consider.

Attachments

• 6F88C105-C01A-458A-8D63-771D787CD39B.jpeg
    6F88C105-C01A-458A-8D63-771D787CD39B.jpeg
    456.8 KB · Views: 11
  • 9F346DD4-3628-4AD1-8818-847195095A48.jpeg
    9F346DD4-3628-4AD1-8818-847195095A48.jpeg
    597.3 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
I always think my Peregrino is my favorite, until I use the amber aerolite… then that’s my favorite. And on it goes. Oh, and I can’t understand how the Peregrino gets knocked re: being a poor bowl latherer… I certainly have had no trouble there.

This brush is a custom Rudy vey handle and a PAA synthetic knot set a bit lower, at around 52mm loft. This thing is very well balanced, maybe something to consider.
Well you certainly have a beautiful brush there. I think setting the knot a little lower was a great idea!

Top Bottom