What's new

THEHTGAM/PPF/PH0ENIX/D0UGLAS/H0DGES/FRANCES Thread

Its clumsy for me to hold that angle & it took me to Razor Burn City.! :eek: I wish I would have ordered the German 37 instead. Oh well, live & learn.

If only PAA would have re-released this model:

DSC09826.JPG

So i got my samples today. PAA is fantastic about inexpensive, yet still very timely shipping. I think they may be losing money on shipping with the stout box and all that. Anyway, I wanted to smell two to start. Oud Spice, which is frigg'n amazing, and Chocolate Bourbon.

This one smells Exactly like the How To Grow A Moustache Chocolate Borubon soap i bought all those years ago. Seriously, its exactly like it. The rub, I want to get it. I want to very bad, because my 9 year old loves the smell. But I am pretty sure I would walk around smelling like Godiva and Angel's Envy all day, with the tip going to the chocolate. The soap has lasted forever because i only use it when my daughter is here, and smelling it while in the bathroom shaving for that 5-20 minutes is great. All day, I am not so sure. Maybe if there was a smaller bottle, but bigger than the sample I could see getting it.

Also, I only dabbed a bit on my wrist, I did not splash it on, in either case. I can still smell both an hour or so later. I cannot imagine what I would smell like if I went Aquq Velva liberal with it :) I'd pass out and wake up with my dogs aggressively licking my face. The boy, he's a fierce licker. He gives it his all like he is trying to like the sub-dermal layers from above. The girl is much more dainty, but persistent. They are both big to at 60-70 lbs each. I think I am going to go upstairs and sniff some more.

So i got my samples today. PAA is fantastic about inexpensive, yet still very timely shipping. I think they may be losing money on shipping with the stout box and all that. Anyway, I wanted to smell two to start. Oud Spice, which is frigg'n amazing, and Chocolate Bourbon.

This one smells Exactly like the How To Grow A Moustache Chocolate Borubon soap i bought all those years ago. Seriously, its exactly like it. The rub, I want to get it. I want to very bad, because my 9 year old loves the smell. But I am pretty sure I would walk around smelling like Godiva and Angel's Envy all day, with the tip going to the chocolate. The soap has lasted forever because i only use it when my daughter is here, and smelling it while in the bathroom shaving for that 5-20 minutes is great. All day, I am not so sure. Maybe if there was a smaller bottle, but bigger than the sample I could see getting it.

Also, I only dabbed a bit on my wrist, I did not splash it on, in either case. I can still smell both an hour or so later. I cannot imagine what I would smell like if I went Aquq Velva liberal with it :) I'd pass out and wake up with my dogs aggressively licking my face. The boy, he's a fierce licker. He gives it his all like he is trying to like the sub-dermal layers from above. The girl is much more dainty, but persistent. They are both big to at 60-70 lbs each. I think I am going to go upstairs and sniff some more.
Lol about the dogs! I have a male chihuahua and he goes crazy for some of these scents! Yeah, the ous spice is killer! I love it. Its everything I could ever want in an old spice scent. In fact, I think its actually better than old spice to be honest.I love it. Sometimes I put someone my arm just to smell it.

Harvest Moon and Gondolier are fantastic too. I now understand what everyone meant when they said it smells like a classic Italian scent. It wasn't marinara and olive oil ;)

Lol about the dogs! I have a male chihuahua and he goes crazy for some of these scents! Yeah, the ous spice is killer! I love it. Its everything I could ever want in an old spice scent. In fact, I think its actually better than old spice to be honest.I love it. Sometimes I put someone my arm just to smell it.
I agree, and better than the Spicy Avon, but it's also like 3-4x the price, so it better be :)

Harvest Moon and Gondolier are fantastic too. I now understand what everyone meant when they said it smells like a classic Italian scent. It wasn't marinara and olive oil ;)
Ill have to order gondolier next, along with the 3 Fougere scents. I haven't tried Al Fin either, which is also one of their most popular. Does gondolier have any talc smell? I cantvstsnd those.

Nope. I don't like talc either. I have this avon called Wild Country, and it's very Talcy. So it regular Clubman. I don't loather them, but they are not my favorites either. Gondolier has none of that. I have like a gallon of assorted AS right now, so Imagine using some of these as a Cologne to compliment existing ones. Then when I have room in my basket o aftershaves, I can add one.

But it lasts longer than a traditional aftershave, and also can be used as a cologne.....that's how I feebly try to justify it to my wife! Lol
I know, i was thinking the same thing. It wont work, but i thought it. I can't really imagine using it as an AS considering how liberally i apply AS.

Nope. I don't like talc either. I have this avon called Wild Country, and it's very Talcy. So it regular Clubman. I don't loather them, but they are not my favorites either. Gondolier has none of that. I have like a gallon of assorted AS right now, so Imagine using some of these as a Cologne to compliment existing ones. Then when I have room in my basket o aftershaves, I can add one.
What could you compare gondolier too? I like proraso original aftershave.

I know, i was thinking the same thing. It wont work, but i thought it. I can't really imagine using it as an AS considering how liberally i apply AS.
I use them all (at least the ones I tried) as after shaves. As much As I love Aramis, Porthos is so super potent I wouldn't recommend applying it like Aqua Velva or Mandom! Lol. Its very strong!!! I love the smell....but it is off the charts strength wise. He should make a splash version that is half or a third as strong

What could you compare gondolier too? I like proraso original aftershave.

Similar to the green, but not really. I can't put my finger on it exactly.

I use them all (at least the ones I tried) as after shaves. As much As I love Aramis, Porthos is so super potent I wouldn't recommend applying it like Aqua Velva or Mandom! Lol. Its very strong!!! I love the smell....but it is off the charts strength wise. He should make a splash version that is half or a third as strong
My dad used Aramis like his left depended on it. I can't imagine what a stronger version would smell like. I'm glad he went with Porthos over Athos, lol. I'd the splash was 1/3 as strong and 1/3 the price w have a winner!

Pareidolia

This is a brand new one, and I have to say, i love it. If you like woody scents, like Oud or Sandalwod this is a winner!
The house I grew up in had a large walk-in cedar closet and this immediately reminded me of that. However, this is not a one-note scent by any means. Here is the list of ingredients: and I see cedar is not listed. LOL

Mysore Sandalwood, Sage/Patchouli Hydrosol, Oakwood Absolute, Benzoin Resin, Hedione & Artemisia Essential Oil (Wormwood).

I really, really like this one. A lot! If I could characterize this I would say that it is sort of like Aramis, but with wood instead of leather. And it is not as *projecting* or *potent* as Aramis. The Aramis underpinnings surface after you've worn it for awhile....after the dry down. The initial wood blast (which is very nice) settles down and the Aramis type scent emerges and actually balances perfectly with the wood notes.

This is a fabulous concoction!!!!!

My wife really likes it too. Always a plus!

In summary, imagine a toned down Aramis, with wood notes instead of leather. This is some amazing stuff.

The scent lasts a long time, but it does not have the projection of, say, Porthos or Aramis. This is a good thing.

I know I mentioned Oud earlier, but I wanted to be clear that this does not have the sweeteness of Oud. If you like woody scents, you will probably love this.

I have yet to try their sandalwood scent, but if this is an indicator I will be ordering it soon.

I would have to say that this one is my new favorite!

Out of the park home run!
A++++++

A compliment I got at work was....."oooohhh...manly! let me smell it again. mmmmmm" Is it here? I want to put it on my wrist. "

Sorry, its at home, baaaaby!

Last edited:
Anyone here have both the bakelite and Al AES? Mine are notably different. The heads do not interchange and the AL gives a different shave.

Interesting shave report. How does that humpback design work for keeping the angle?
It makes it very easy. You simply take the triangle and lay it flat on your skin and shave. It takes the guesswork out of it. Ive got probably 6 shaves in with this razor and once I went to a less sharp blade (I dont recommend Feathers in it), it gave me wonderful shaves. Its an easy 2-pass BBS.
I tried some Personna Reds in it and it did well, now Im just going through a rotation of some of my favorite blades (Bolzanos, Timors, Cromas and Wilkinson Sword Classics) to see which it works best with.

Top Bottom