What's new

THEHTGAM/PPF/PH0ENIX/D0UGLAS/H0DGES/FRANCES Thread

I have. Certain scents have burned my pits (bay rum and Cavendish), but CaD and Neroli worked just fine. They don't really last all day for me, but they're good for a day at work and most of the night.

Thanks for the input. The site says they have a lot of EO in the product. You mentioned 2 of the scents gave you some burning. Have you shown EO sensitivity with products from other companies? For me, the only products I've shown any sort of EO sensitivity towards was some of the Mama Bear shave soaps. I'm just trying to get a feel if I should give it a go or not. Thanks again.

Thanks for the input. The site says they have a lot of EO in the product. You mentioned 2 of the scents gave you some burning. Have you shown EO sensitivity with products from other companies? For me, the only products I've shown any sort of EO sensitivity towards was some of the Mama Bear shave soaps. I'm just trying to get a feel if I should give it a go or not. Thanks again.

Only time I've had a reaction was those two scents for my pits. Never had a response to anything else.

If you want to start with one, try CaD. It's a fantastic barbershop scent. Overall, I like Schmidt's better.

Ummm, I thought the lavender smelled great and worked well. The cedar was a bit of a let down. I haven't tried the other two, but I'd be happy just buying the lavender.

I just ordered this razor. This will be my first open comb razor. Aside from it just being a sexy piece of art I can admire, I'm excited to see there will be a difference between it and my Merkur 38c. If anyone has any experience with it, please chime in. I'd love to know your experience with it.

Great little razor, very very mild and an easy BBS Shaver, because going ATG poses no problem with it.

The new one has satin finish. Really intriguing. But since I already have the old one I'll pass :(

Aside from making it look like a primitive medical instrument from the lat 19th century, which I find awesome by the way, I have no idea why.

Great little razor, very very mild and an easy BBS Shaver, because going ATG poses no problem with it.

The new one has satin finish. Really intriguing. But since I already have the old one I'll pass :(
It is modeled after the Grand Shave King made in the 40s. the teeth in the cap are to let the lather slip through. It was advertised as self lubricating.

It is modeled after the Grand Shave King made in the 40s. the teeth in the cap are to let the lather slip through. It was advertised as self lubricating.

There's no lather left after the blade takes it. That works for the comb on the baseplate, but not the one on the cap. Sales hype? Something unique to catch peoples attention? I'm not saying it doesn't look cool. View attachment 656774

There's no lather left after the blade takes it. That works for the comb on the baseplate, but not the one on the cap. Sales hype? Something unique to catch peoples attention? I'm not saying it doesn't look cool. View attachment 656774
I had a Shave King for a short time. Somehow it did leave later behind like corn rows. It was kind of cool, but way to mild for my taste. I wound up trading it for a Single Ring much more my style. They do seem to have a cult following though some people love them, just not me.

I had a Shave King for a short time. Somehow it did leave later behind like corn rows. It was kind of cool, but way to mild for my taste. I wound up trading it for a Single Ring much more my style. They do seem to have a cult following though some people love them, just not me.

Nothing compares to an OLD. :thumbup1:

Well, if it ends up that I don't like the shave, at least it's nice to look at and I'll go get me a piccolo. I'm really hoping this thing performs well for me though.

I hope you like it too. I just really prefer a an aggressive razor so I can get a DFS in 2 passes. I don't J hook, blade buff, or chase BBS I rarely even go against the grain . I just like a razor that knocks it down quick so I can go on with my day.

Just received the satin DOC and had my first shave with it. Ya'll weren't kidding when you'd said it was very very mild!
Need more time with it, but first impression - I'm mixed. Definitely like the appearance and design, but it may be far too mild for me.
The nice thing about it though is it leaves lather on your face behind the pass, so you can do extra passes and buffing without having to reapply, and even with all the extra passes and buffing, my skin was irritation free. After 4 passes (A Tech would've had me irritated at this point) & cleanup (usually do 2.5 passes for a DFS w/ a more aggressive razor) I still had a somewhat unsatisfactory shave. It barely takes any whiskers per pass. May need to see if a shim brings this to being a more useable tool or if I can tweak technique to make it more effective.

You could shorten the top comb and let the blade spring up a little. I know you won't do it, but if you do, go in very small increments.

Top Bottom