What's new

PAA Copper Ascension Twist Adjustable Razor - A Truly Amazing Razor! (An SWCT Review)

Welcome everyone, to yet another SWCT razor review!

PAA Copper Ascension Twist Adjustable Razor
proxy.php

For those who know me on B&B, they know that I was seeking this razor, with a passion that would only be rivaled by true love. 😍This razor was chosen to be the last razor that I ever buy, and I am happy to say, that I chose well. This was my criteria for picking out this razor...

(1) I wanted a razor that looked so beautiful, you'd kiss it!
(2) I wanted a quality razor that was built really well!
(3) I wanted a razor that shaved better then most razors!
(4) This razor had to be better then a Yaqi Mellon razor!

proxy.php

The Copper Ascension Twist Adjustable In Rose Gold, is 3.75-inches or 95-mm long, and weighs approximately 4.13-ounces or 118-grams. This razor is CNC machined out of tellurium copper, with a rose gold electroplate coating applied, and is polished for a lovely shine. Starting blade gap is .05-mm or 500-microns.

NOTE: PAA does include a separate ziplock bag, with both a "black," as well as a "clear," nylon washer. But neither are used on the razor, at the time of assembly.

proxy.php

The PAA Copper Ascension Twist, is a 3-piece adjustable razor, innovative designed by the local artisan shop, known as Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements, and manufactured in China. Because of this razors weight, I classify this as a heavy weight razor. While a 3-piece design can add a slight difficulty to beginners, when it comes to loading and removing blades, I felt this razor was really easy to do. Additionally, I noticed that the handle and top cap threading clearances were super tight on this razor, (no slop) the handle rotates the smoothest on the threads I have ever seen, which is indicative of the high levels of quality, that were dealing with here.

proxy.php

I began my wet shaving journey using heavy weight razors, so I am used to it. If you are a beginner, please remember, when it comes to heavy weight razors, you want to let them do all the work, try not to apply pressure if you don't have to. The handle knurling is top notch quality, not only does it provide me superior grip, as opposed to smooth handled razors that allow my fingers to slip, but it also looks really good as well. There are a couple of things which are unique about this razor.

proxy.php

(1) This razor uses what is classically known as, the Double Open Comb head design, (which was introduced in the mid 1940's by Joseph Mellon) which allows for your multiple day whiskers to reach the blade easier. Allows the razor to leave some lather on your face on each pass, so you can go back over the same spot a few times without worry. And allows for easier rinsing of the razor, which reduces clogging.

proxy.php

(2) This razor uses a very unique adjustable design. Most adjustable razors use a knob that you turn one way or the other, which will increase or lower blade gap. While that method certainly works well, it does add additional mechanics, that if not properly maintained, can go wrong. This razor uses a simple method of a tension spring technique, to hold pressure against the blade. When the handle is all the way tightened, you are at the most minimal blade gap, which is really mild. If handle is turned counter-clockwise 1/4 to 1/2 turn, this increases the blade gap, thereby making the razor more aggressive. Do not exceed 1/2 turn out!

proxy.php

This razor is very easy to hold in the hand, balance point towards upper portion of handle. If you prefer heavy weight razors, then your going to like this razor for sure! I began by loading the razor up with a Gillette Platinum blade, then I attached a clear nylon washer, because I don't want to scratch up my razor head, I prefer using it. What is nice is, PAA designed the razor for the use of the washer in mind, and has a recessed slot in the had, to encompass the washer. Knowing how my first test with this razor, was going to be against 7-day whiskers, I elected to turn the handle, 1/2 turn out from seated, to provide me more aggression.

proxy.php

WTG:

In the WTG passes, handle 1/2 turned out from seated, I managed to shave off my 7-day whiskers, surprisingly smoothly, and managed to get me to nearly a BBS shave everywhere! And not only that, this razor allowed me to get to my problem areas, and get them in a way that my other razors do not in the WTG passes. Additionally, I was able to get the tricky under the nose whiskers without issue, for the first time ever in my wet shaving history, it took no effort, and already made me BBS in that spot! I used the standard 35 degree shaving angle, between steep and shallow, and this razor performed flawlessly.

proxy.php

XTG:

I lowered the blade aggression to 1/4 turn out from fully seated for the XTG passes. Because most of the whiskers were already removed in the WTG passes, I didn't have a whole lot of whiskers left, for the razor to remove XTG. But in the areas where their were still whiskers around, this razor went after them like a champ. This razors unique design, really allowed for a lot of whisker removal, with not a whole lot of work required on my part. I was able to get the chin and moostash areas to practically a BBS here.

proxy.php

ATG:

I tightened the handle all the way in, to lower the blade gap to its lowest level 0.5mm. At this point, the razor is really mild, and yet, surprisingly efficient, most likely due, to the open comb design. What amazed me the most, was I felt like I couldn't give myself a nick at all at this blade aggression setting. This razor glided so effortlessly, painlessly, in the ATG passes, and had 0-issues getting to all my problem areas, including, moostash area, chin area, and under the jaw area. Technically, I could have increased aggression back up for greater efficiency still, but I really wanted to test this razors mildness, on the lowest blade gap level.

proxy.php

Double Open Comb Thoughts:

This is not the first time that I've used a double open comb razor, but this is most certainly, the first time I have seen it done right. It did exactly what it was designed to do. It allowed my whiskers to reach the blade without hindrance. It always left lather on my face, so that I could make a few more passes, which allowed me to get more whiskers, which increased productivity. I had an easier time rinsing out the razor of both whiskers and lather. And overall, provided me a much smoother shaving experience, that really sets the bar high, for other razors to try and achieve.

proxy.php

Twist Adjustable Design:

This was my first time, using a razor, that adjusted in this fashion. I have to say, adjusting this thing really is as easy as, rotating the handle. I had 0-issues rotating the handle clockwise, or counter-clockwise, to achieve the desired aggression. Additionally, I felt that the spring tension force applied to the blade, provided by the top cap, provided the necessary blade retention required, in order to prevent blade chatter. This provides exceptional value in a razor IMO, and this cannot be overstated!

No blade tab overhang!
proxy.php

Lower Blade Exposure Makes This Razor Much Safer!

proxy.php
proxy.php

Conclusion:

In conclusion, this razor surprised me on levels I was not expecting. Not only is this razor capable of being really efficient, its also extremely smooth. And even at higher aggression levels, I felt that this razor was really safe. And if used on the mildest setting, its extremely safe! Because of this kind of performance, I classify this as a razor for everyone, beginners, intermediate, and expert! This razor took down 7-days of course thick whisker growth, did it without question, knocked it all down, and brought me to a BBS shave with 0-nicks, weepers, nor irritation. I literally achieved the best shave I have ever had in my life today with this razor, and because of this, it just secured its position at first place in my razor arsenal.

This razor gets a 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 out of 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 stars. And this razor gets the SWCT stamp of approval. 🌠

proxy.php

List Of Products Used For Todays Best Ever Shave!

proxy.php

(1) PAA Copper Ascension Twist Adjustable Razor!
(2) Gillette Platinum Blade First Use!
(3) Cayune Workshop Dark Nebula Shave Brush!
(4) Cayune Workshop Dark Nebula Shave Bowl!
(5) Stirling Hot Apple Cider Shave Soap!
(6) Stirling 125G Alum Block!
(7) PAA Ice Cube 2.0 Preshave Block!
(8) Pinaud Clubman Citrus Musk Aftershave!
(9) Stirling Almond Creme Facial Wash!

PS: The Hot Apple Cider was delicious, I smell far too good, their auda be a law against it. 😝
Excellent write up SWCT!

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
DTG?

Is this Diagonal?

Coreccto mondo B&B friend! I have to go diagonal on my neck instead of XTG, because in my first month of wet shaving, I discovered that XTG opens me up to weepers and strong irritation on my neck. After watching a lot of YouTube wet shavers, I discovered that I wasn't the only one who couldn't do XTG on the neck. I always get scared when Paul H goes XTG on his neck, cause often times he will give himself nicks or weepers as well! :crying:

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

So the black or clear washers aren’t meant to be used on the Ascention? Didn’t know that and I’ve been using it with it for every shave I’ve done. Whooops

What?

I never said that I didn't use the nylon washer while using the razor. I said, the washer didn't already come installed when PAA assembled the razor. The washers came in a separate ziplock bag, in which I personally, had to take a washer out, and install it into the razor. The razor is absolutely designed to be able to use the washer, as it has a spot for it, indented into the metal. I use the washer installed in the razor for every shave.

proxy.php

This picture shows the washer that I was using. This picture was taken after I had shaved, and took the razor apart to clean and let dry, on my awesome towel in which I love. Please do not get the impression that you can't use the washer with this razor. I do not understand why PAA doesn't already have the washer installed with the assembled razor, I guess they decided it was best to leave that up to each their own personal choice?

FYI, I also have a Timeless TI95 razor, and that razor did come with its washer already installed on the razor, and I have also used it for every shave as well. I prefer not to scratch up my pretty polished razors, by making metal on metal contact, so thats why I like to use them. Many of my razors didn't come with washers though, I guess most don't.

Karve is the only razor maker I know that says you shouldn’t use the plastic washer when shaving. Of course everybody ignores that, including me, and none of us died.

If I can fit a plastic washer on the razor I always do it. It simply protects the base plate from scratches and it tightens the handle a bit more securely. But it is unimportant whether you use one or not.

Karve is the only razor maker I know that says you shouldn’t use the plastic washer when shaving. Of course everybody ignores that, including me, and none of us died.

If I can fit a plastic washer on the razor I always do it. It simply protects the base plate from scratches and it tightens the handle a bit more securely. But it is unimportant whether you use one or not.
This was what I thought @Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker was referring to as I have several Karve razors and they specifically stated to NOT use the black washer it comes with when shaving. Not sure why they say that as I always use washers on all my razors that have washers that fit them with the only exceptions are my Yates since I don’t have those smaller sized washers yet

This was what I thought @Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker was referring to as I have several Karve razors and they specifically stated to NOT use the black washer it comes with when shaving. Not sure why they say that as I always use washers on all my razors that have washers that fit them with the only exceptions are my Yates since I don’t have those smaller sized washers yet
The Karve specifically has to do with number of threads engaged, the screw length isn't designed for a washer. I also thought this was nuts when I read it, but apparently people have had trouble leaving it in by accident(not sure why they couldn't make the screw longer).

The Karve specifically has to do with number of threads engaged, the screw length isn't designed for a washer. I also thought this was nuts when I read it, but apparently people have had trouble leaving it in by accident(not sure why they couldn't make the screw longer).
Hasn’t really hindered me using my Karve with a washer

The screw is really long on a Karve. Longer than any other razor I have, I’m pretty sure. There’s no way a washer would be a problem. I think it’s just a disclaimer, nothing more.

The screw is really long on a Karve. Longer than any other razor I have, I’m pretty sure. There’s no way a washer would be a problem. I think it’s just a disclaimer, nothing more.
Thought so. It's what I read several times and why I put the disclaimer that it sounds ridiculous to me. But I could have also seen a manufacturer get pigeon holed into keeping short screws if their early handles weren't drilled deep enough. I stand corrected, thank you.

I had to add , I think this is the best head shaver ever. I have both copper and stainless. The copper coating is starting to wear( they are copper alloy coated copper) I wish they would do their single edge in copper or stainless as well.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

UPDATE:

I've owned this razor for 7-months now, I can't believe how quickly time flies!

In my review, I talk about how amazing this razor shaves. These days, I have been in water conservation mode, and choosing to go a week in-between shaves, if I am doing DE shaves that is. Because of this, I end up with more whisker growth, and as such, I need to use an open comb razor, which means the PAA Copper Ascension, is getting some good use this year.

If one uses this razor with the handle tightened all the way down, its easy to forget how aggressive this razor is capable of getting, because with a simple twist of the handle, you can increase overall aggression. Every time I use it on my weekly shaves, it manages to take down 5-day or 7-day whiskers growth with ease. Of course, some of it is blade depending of course.

For example, you wouldn't want to use a duller blade when taking down 3 to 7 day of course whisker growth. Your gonna want to run a Feather, Wizamet, Gillette SB, or Bic-CP blade to handle the needed task. I tell you what, as long as I prep my face properly, give my face a good facial wash, rinse, then apply some of my delicious PAA Ice Cube 2.0 Menthol pre-shave soap, I can get awesome shaves with this razor.

I think everybody here knows by now that I am a strong believer in PAA's pre-shave cubes, their performance is outstanding. And equally so, I'm sure everybody knows that I am a strong Stirling fan, for my shave soaps, as they also provide a great experience, due to their use of tallow. I know, thank goodness Stirling isn't one of the many companies who have gone vegan on us.

Everytime I use my Copper Ascension, its amazing how smooth my shaves can be, and how its capable of tackling some serious levels of whisker growth! And while I have read comments from some folks stating that the copper plating on their ascension has worn off, I haven't experienced that phenomenon. The copper plating on my ascension, is still brand new looking, after 7-months. So I don't know how much this is an issue of, taking years to develop, or is simply a matter of how the razor is cared for.

I have already shown pictures in this thread showing how I care for my razor. After a shave, I take it apart, clean it, and set it on my Timeless towel to dry for at least 8-hours, before I re-assemble it, and stick it on my razor stand. I honestly feel bad for my other razors right now, because none of them are getting any use right now lol. My only other OC razor, is my Fatip OC Grande in Gold, which I am thinking about using next time, simply because I haven't used it in forever lol.

In summary, I have been super pleased with my PAA Copper Ascension Twist Adjustable in Rose Gold, I couldn't recommend it enough, on just how amazing that this razor is. But heck, don't just take my word for it, ask @jason2 who also owns this same razor, and he will confirm everything I've said. This razor can be super mild, or aggressive, just depends on what type of shave you want.

PS: With all the talk about shave soaps going the way of vegan, I never got a chance to try out the famous Mitchels Wool Fat with tallow. I blame myself for never getting that soap before they made the switch. Guess thats what I get for getting into traditional wet shaving late in life. :sad:

Bought a second PAA Ascension Twist in copper. Love the heavy weight of it, and I actually forget about the adjustable factor. The one I bought was from the BST here on B&B and the handle has most of the plating removed. Not sure how it happened but my other one has weird dark spots on the top cape and baseplate. I think I'll make one blemish free version out of the two razors.

I also want to praise the PAA Pre-shave Cubes. I've used my PAA charcoal menthol cube for a year now. Not much has changed as far as the size. Several times I have just shaved with the lather from the Cube and had excellent BBS shaves. Even if I use soap I use the PAA cube but I dont rinse it off. I work the brush in with the PAA lather, then lather up soap and slap that on top of the PAA lather. I use way less soap this way. I found this is optimal shaving for me. Just bought a blue menthol PAA Cube 2.0 just to switch it up.

Isn’t the razor head too wide? It seems like the blade tabs are covered completely but there is still the part where you put you fingers in addition to the head.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Isn’t the razor head too wide? It seems like the blade tabs are covered completely but there is still the part where you put you fingers in addition to the head.

Actually, its IMO, that the head is the perfect width amount. Yes it covers the blade tabs, but that prevents me from slicing into my nose nostrils, or my ear lobes! I actually hate razors that allow for a lot of blade tab exposure. And the only reason they do it, is to make it easier to grab the edges of the blade for removal/install. Well, I don't have any problems installing/removing the blade on my Ascension. This is literally one of the finest razors you can buy. And unlike Timeless titanium razors, you don't need a loan to pay for one lol.

The twist adjustable is such a novel but obvious technique. Do you find that different blades require more or less force to torque them into bending, making the adjustability easier or harder? PAA suggests we can do it with their monster slants to a max of a quarter turn but I have not tried it yet. Just loading a blade, I have found some to be stronger/stiffer than others.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

The twist adjustable is such a novel but obvious technique. Do you find that different blades require more or less force to torque them into bending, making the adjustability easier or harder? PAA suggests we can do it with their monster slants to a max of a quarter turn but I have not tried it yet. Just loading a blade, I have found some to be stronger/stiffer than others.

@Calyshaver Good to see ya!

Hmm, I don't think that I have noticed a difference in torque tension, based on blade material makeup. What I have noticed, is based on blade sharpness level, creates a difference in how much aggression adjustment I need.

For example, if I use a Feather blade, I do not want to use 1/4 to 1/2 aggression out from seated! I will usually do a max of 1/8 out from seated, when using a Feather blade. But if I am using a blade that is medium sharpness, I'll use 1/4 to 1/2 in the first WTG pass.

Usually when I do my 2nd XTG/DTG pass, I do only 1/8 out from seated. And when I do my 3rd ATG pass, I will usually run it at 1/16 from seated.

However, I have also learned from experience to be a little more careful when going ATG on my chin, which is one of my problem areas, due to the extreme amped up level of coarseness in my whiskers. So I might adjust to fully seated for safety. Again, all blade sharpness depending of course.

Very nice review of the Copper Ascension. Personally, I think it's the most underrated & undervalued quality razor that has been made in some time. Most think of it as a gimmick razor or just a sales & marketing conjuring just to make sales and add to profit margins. And ultimately that's what PAA did but, they inturn did their homework and came up with a very workable and functional design that as a razor does exactly what it was marketed and designed to do.

I own all 3 variations and they all perform tremendously well. From left to right are:

Aluminum Ascension, Copper Ascension, Stainless Ascension & the one that kind of started it all for PAA, the Stainless EVO DOC sans the adjustable marketing strategy.

IMG_20230717_143759.jpg

All capable razors but, the EVO is a much more aggressive razor and can be harsh for the inexperienced shaver. The Ascension Series are much more docile and easier to use that give excellent results for beginners and vets alike.

I truly believe if these were made by someone like Timeless or Blackland, shavers would be going ape nuts over this line up. But, PAA gets a bit of a cold shoulder from quite a few wet shave pundits because of their marketing strategies and ploys.

It's a shame as they have really done an excellent job with their Ascension Series of razors.

Top Bottom