What's new

PAA brush comparison

I am curious if there is much difference between the PAA Peregrino and Starcraft (backbone, softness, splaying ability, etc.)? They are said to have the same knot, so technically they should be the same/similar. But I know sometimes there are some differences. And I guess to round it out, how does the Solar Flare compare? I know this is all subjective... just curious about opinions. I have the Aerolite which I really like, and have the Peregrino incoming, which I am very excited to try.

cheers

All I know is that PAA has pretty much sold me on synthetic with no desire to go back to badger. I love the size and weight of the Peregrino. It's currently my favorite brush. No experience with the Starcraft, although I'd like to try it. I have the aerolite as well and it's also a very solid performer.

All I know is that PAA has pretty much sold me on synthetic with no desire to go back to badger. I love the size and weight of the Peregrino. It's currently my favorite brush. No experience with the Starcraft, although I'd like to try it. I have the aerolite as well and it's also a very solid performer.
I fully endorse your assessment of the Peregrino. I have silvertip badger brushes that cost like 10X as much. I hardly ever use them anymore because I enjoy the Peregrino so much.

I am curious if there is much difference between the PAA Peregrino and Starcraft (backbone, softness, splaying ability, etc.)? They are said to have the same knot, so technically they should be the same/similar. But I know sometimes there are some differences. And I guess to round it out, how does the Solar Flare compare? I know this is all subjective... just curious about opinions. I have the Aerolite which I really like, and have the Peregrino incoming, which I am very excited to try.

cheers
The Solar Flare is like the Cashmere knot from other makers. Hardly any backbone at all, but good for the person that prizes softness above everything else.

There's not a lot of difference between the Starcraft & Peregrino other than appearance plus size and shape of the handle. I went with the Starcraft which feels a bit large for a 24mm. I wouldn't mind it slightly scaled down. Still, they did a good job with that brush. I like the weight of the solid resin handle.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
The Starcraft is an excellent brush. I also have the Atomic Rocket and Green Ray. All excellent, especially for the price. The handles are some of the best.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
They have excellent handles and I really like what they are doing brushwise but I wish the made the brushes closer to the original size.

Last time I got a brush from PAA (Amber Aerolite) it seemed to have a shedding problem, and presumably the putz that runs that business was giving me run arounds when I brought it up to him, makes me hate the fact I love PAA soaps so much I still buy them anyway but I stay well away from any hardware or really any non soaps in general from them

Last time I got a brush from PAA (Amber Aerolite) it seemed to have a shedding problem, and presumably the putz that runs that business was giving me run arounds when I brought it up to him, makes me hate the fact I love PAA soaps so much I still buy them anyway but I stay well away from any hardware or really any non soaps in general from them
Weird, mine hasn’t shedded whatsoever as far as I can tell. Maybe you got a dud. Too bad about your experience dealing with PAA. I’ve seen some unfortunate stories about this company and the guy who runs it. My own experience has been only positive so far.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune

cheers
Did the Peregrino arrive?

Did the Peregrino arrive?
Indeed. Thank you so much!

All— Kim is a gentleman and a scholar. Feel confident transacting with him. He PIF’d 3 brushes (I was only expecting two), the Peregrino being one of them. I am VERY curious how it compares to the Aerolite. I’m sure I will like it every bit as much (and I like my aerolite A LOT!)

Cheers Kim

The Solar Flare is like the Cashmere knot from other makers. Hardly any backbone at all, but good for the person that prizes softness above everything else.

There's not a lot of difference between the Starcraft & Peregrino other than appearance plus size and shape of the handle. I went with the Starcraft which feels a bit large for a 24mm. I wouldn't mind it slightly scaled down. Still, they did a good job with that brush. I like the weight of the solid resin handle.
I used to think there was no such thing as too soft. Then I got a brush with a mother lode knot (which is beautiful) but I think even for me Motherlode is too soft/floppy. I need to use it more. As of now, the aerolite checks just about every box for me. Just enough backbone but not scritchy… lathers like crazy.

With the aerolite, 5-10 swirls on soap and I’m shaving for hours if I want. I am looking forward to trying the peregrino. And while I fancy myself a traditionalist in many ways, the looks of the PAA brushes really speak to me.

With all that said, I’m still intrigued by the StarCraft and solar flare :/

I know....and as much as I really hate saying it, his CK6 soaps can't be beat for me in terms of performance

I'll say that much, they need very very little to create a dense and slick lather. Its tailor made for scooping into an bowl. I chuckle every time I see someone on Youtube lathering it straight from the tub. Waste of product.

funny, I just shaved with it, it shed a hair during the last 2-3 shaves. I didn't consider it a problem, lets see if it keeps shedding.
otherwise it is superb, even for the EU price I paid for it. (~30eur + shipping)

funny, I just shaved with it, it shed a hair during the last 2-3 shaves. I didn't consider it a problem, lets see if it keeps shedding.
otherwise it is superb, even for the EU price I paid for it. (~30eur + shipping)
Best of luck, hopefully it doesn't start shedding like crazy like mine did

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
How does the Atomic Rocket compare in backbone to the Peregrino and Starcraft?
For me, the Atomic Rocket has a much softer knot with a backbone very similar to my ESC Ultimate G4 knot, which is still among my favorites. The Peregrino is 24mm vs. the 26mm knot of the Atomic Rocket.

I liked it very much but could never get used to the larger handle. I ended up PIFfing it to a lady shaver here. She just loves the longer handle for lathering up her legs.

So many people love the Peregrino... I found the backbone a bit hmmmm prickly for me. I'm glad @Drew is enjoying it so much.

I have several PAA brushes and the only one usable for me is the Amber Aerolite. The others I have are too soft and have hardly any backbone. The AA is a very nice brush.

Top Bottom