What's new

PAA Black Bot and Cube

This was my first time ever trying any Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements products. I got the Black Bot soap/aftershave (CK-6) and cube 2.0 and goodness gracious it stings! I felt a very mild sting when applying the cube, gradually got worse with the soap, and then oh boy the after shave was brutal. My face has never looked more red!

I tried leaving out the cube and then trying just the cube with other products and it seems like maybe I just have a sensitivity to these products as each combo still had more irritation than usual. Has anybody else ran into these issues with PAA? It’s a shame because they really do smell great! It’s worth noting the only other products I’ve tried are Proraso green, Proraso white, Cremo, and Razor Emporium branded Barbershop soap. None of those have ever given me any issues comparable to this.

I’ve only tried their atomic bayrum soap and splash. The burn from the splash was the most intense I have ever felt from a post shave product.

I haven't tried the PAA, but it unfortunately sounds like you're sensitive to the fragrance oils in the Black Bot, particularly since you reacted immediately and to both the pre-shave soap and shaving soap. Sensitivities to fragrance oils are common (my face hates most), and you might not have a reaction to other PAA scents.

Proraso white is a sensitive formula, and tends to be well received by most people.

You might want to try to trade the PAA for another scent (or unscented). You should also try the other Proraso formulas.

I haven't tried the PAA, but it unfortunately sounds like you're sensitive to the fragrance oils in the Black Bot, particularly since you reacted immediately and to both the pre-shave soap and shaving soap. Sensitivities to fragrance oils are common (my face hates most), and you might not have a reaction to other PAA scents.

Proraso white is a sensitive formula, and tends to be well received by most people.

You might want to try to trade the PAA for another scent (or unscented). You should also try the other Proraso formulas.
Thank you! I enjoy the Proraso green soap and have been looking forward to trying the red when I run out! Any other brand suggestions to mix my pallet up?

@BroGuy17

Stirling soaps are great performers at a reasonable price and well-liked here at B&B.

However, that will not necessarily solve your possible fragrance oil sensitivity problem. As I well know, it just depends on the particular oil and concentration. It has nothing to do with the quality of soap or artisan/manufacturer.

I found that I personally do better with essential oils instead of fragrance oils. For Stirling, I would therefore recommend scents like Bergamot Lavender or Eucalyptus Mint (or any of their unscented varieties).

You might also have more luck with some of the more mass produced soaps and creams (e.g., Proraso, LEA, etc) as they're more thoroughly tested for reactions, but this too is no guarantee.

If you're sensitive to fragrances or other ingredients, it often comes down to luck.

@BroGuy17

Stirling soaps are great performers at a reasonable price and well-liked here at B&B.

However, that will not necessarily solve your possible fragrance oil sensitivity problem. As I well know, it just depends on the particular oil and concentration. It has nothing to do with the quality of soap or artisan/manufacturer.

I found that I personally do better with essential oils instead of fragrance oils. For Stirling, I would therefore recommend scents like Bergamot Lavender or Eucalyptus Mint (or any of their unscented varieties).

You might also have more luck with some of the more mass produced soaps and creams (e.g., Proraso, LEA, etc) as they're more thoroughly tested for reactions, but this too is no guarantee.

If you're sensitive to fragrances or other ingredients, it often comes down to luck.
Interesting! I’ll be sure to start looking out for fragrance vs essential oils. Thanks for the info!

Don't give up on fragrance oils just yet (or believe essential oils necessarily will solve your problems).

A lot of people do great will lots of soaps, and are only rarely sensitive to a particular scent. PAA's Black Bot might just be your shaving kryptonite, and you could be fine with lots of other soaps, such as the Proraso, Cremo and RE soaps in your original post.

I don't have any reaction to the Cube 2.0 at all. I use it as a pre-shave soap at times & get no reaction at all. I mainly use Arko or Derby shave soaps & don't need PAA's high priced soaps.

You need to try more of his stuff, his shaving soaps are some of the best lathering soaps on the market. He offers the CK6 which for seasoned shavers are superior but pricey start out with regular formulas at $14 first. I have had reactions of sensitivity to some of his aftershaves, try to avoid the ones with Hedione. If you like his musky scents like black bot John Frum and Lo-Haiku did not cause irritation

Top Bottom