What's new

PAA Artifact Razor

So, I bought the artifact for the sole reason that I was a sucker for the filigree on the top cap. It has that Victorian/art deco vibe I guess. It came with the razor, a case, three tucks of blades, a cleaning cloth, certificate, and a sticker. The razor fits extremely tight in the case and you need to use the little ribbon to pry it out of it's mold. First impressions are I hate the bottom cap I was sent. On the website they show two different versions of "tortoiseshell" bottom caps and I was hoping to get a more golden tinted one than a white one but I didn't have the option. But that's my luck I guess. I happen to be half Irish! The other half is polish. Woo hoo.
IMG_20221212_180107907_HDR.jpg

IMG_20221212_180146138_HDR.jpg

IMG_20221212_180204484.jpg

So somewhere in the annoyingly long product description for this razor it explains that it is supposed to be an homage to the evermoist which is a vintage razor. There are little reservoirs that are supposed to hold water and release it as you are shaving to help lubricate the razor. I came up with a non scientific way of testing this theory.i first dunked the razor in my scuttle to give it a chance to fill.IMG_20221212_180925922.jpg
I then plunged it in a bowl of lather so the head had a bunch of soap on it and held it at the angle I typically would for shaving to see if the lather would get wet or if water would break through. Today's lather was PAA space nog, the only soap I have from them and I was in a Christmas moodIMG_20221212_181317738.jpg
So after 10-15 seconds a big drip did form in the lather! Maybe that claim isn't all marketing hype.
IMG_20221212_181308932.jpg

So this was last night, and I had already shaved in the morning, but for the sake of science and excitement I decided to give the razor a go on my face. I had an Astra Platinum loaded with one use and the PAA space nog soap. I did get some irritation but I don't know how much of that was shaving twice in a day or how much was the razor, but this thing did glide. It is a light razor, but it did feel wet and smooth on my skin. I did dunk the head in the scuttle before each pass to give the reservoirs a chance to fill.

So all this is a long way of saying that even though this razor looks like something out of a Scooby Doo episode and feels like plastic, it doesn't feel like a cheap plastic razor shaped object. I must admit I am excited to try it again with a fresh blade and non sensitive face and see how it goes again.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, I bought the artifact for the sole reason that I was a sucker for the filigree on the top cap. It has that Victorian/art deco vibe I guess. It came with the razor, a case, three tucks of blades, a cleaning cloth, certificate, and a sticker. The razor fits extremely tight in the case and you need to use the little ribbon to pry it out of it's mold. First impressions are I hate the bottom cap I was sent. On the website they show two different versions of "tortoiseshell" bottom caps and I was hoping to get a more golden tinted one than a white one but I didn't have the option. But that's my luck I guess. I happen to be half Irish! The other half is polish. Woo hoo.View attachment 1571332
View attachment 1571333
View attachment 1571334
So somewhere in the annoyingly long product description for this razor it explains that it is supposed to be an homage to the evermoist which is a vintage razor. There are little reservoirs that are supposed to hold water and release it as you are shaving to help lubricate the razor. I came up with a non scientific way of testing this theory.i first dunked the razor in my scuttle to give it a chance to fill.View attachment 1571336
I then plunged it in a bowl of lather so the head had a bunch of soap on it and held it at the angle I typically would for shaving to see if the lather would get wet or if water would break through. Today's lather was PAA space nog, the only soap I have from them and I was in a Christmas moodView attachment 1571340
So after 10-15 seconds a big drip did form in the lather! Maybe that claim isn't all marketing hype.View attachment 1571342
So this was last night, and I had already shaved in the morning, but for the sake of science and excitement I decided to give the razor a go on my face. I had an Astra Platinum loaded with one use and the PAA space nog soap. I did get some irritation but I don't know how much of that was shaving twice in a day or how much was the razor, but this thing did glide. It is a light razor, but it did feel wet and smooth on my skin. I did dunk the head in the scuttle before each pass to give the reservoirs a chance to fill.

So all this is a long way of saying that even though this razor looks like something out of a Scooby Doo episode and feels like plastic, it doesn't feel like a cheap plastic razor shaped object. I must admit I am excited to try it again with a fresh blade and non sensitive face and see how it goes again.
I think the base plate you got is the more golden coloured one. Mine is much whiter than that - just cream with a few darker swirls. I don’t think I’ve seen any that were darker than yours.

I had a similar experience with the razor. Shaves ok, decently effective and reasonably smooth, doesn’t feel really cheap. I’m less convinced than you about the water reservoirs - I don’t notice any effect in normal use and it certainly didn’t change my life - but that doesn’t matter.

I think the base plate you got is the more golden coloured one. Mine is much whiter than that - just cream with a few darker swirls. I don’t think I’ve seen any that were darker than yours.

I had a similar experience with the razor. Shaves ok, decently effective and reasonably smooth, doesn’t feel really cheap. I’m less convinced than you about the water reservoirs - I don’t notice any effect in normal use and it certainly didn’t change my life - but that doesn’t matter.

I did have a well hydrated lather. Maybe I should make an intentionally dryer lather and see if that makes a difference. It could have been the placebo effect.

I did have a well hydrated lather. Maybe I should make an intentionally dryer lather and see if that makes a difference. It could have been the placebo effect.
Yeah. It probably does something, or can be made to do something, but my conclusion was that it’s not noticeable enough to matter. But I will revise my opinion if you report that it can make a difference.

So, I bought the artifact for the sole reason that I was a sucker for the filigree on the top cap. It has that Victorian/art deco vibe I guess. It came with the razor, a case, three tucks of blades, a cleaning cloth, certificate, and a sticker. The razor fits extremely tight in the case and you need to use the little ribbon to pry it out of it's mold. First impressions are I hate the bottom cap I was sent. On the website they show two different versions of "tortoiseshell" bottom caps and I was hoping to get a more golden tinted one than a white one but I didn't have the option. But that's my luck I guess. I happen to be half Irish! The other half is polish. Woo hoo.View attachment 1571332
View attachment 1571333
View attachment 1571334
So somewhere in the annoyingly long product description for this razor it explains that it is supposed to be an homage to the evermoist which is a vintage razor. There are little reservoirs that are supposed to hold water and release it as you are shaving to help lubricate the razor. I came up with a non scientific way of testing this theory.i first dunked the razor in my scuttle to give it a chance to fill.View attachment 1571336
I then plunged it in a bowl of lather so the head had a bunch of soap on it and held it at the angle I typically would for shaving to see if the lather would get wet or if water would break through. Today's lather was PAA space nog, the only soap I have from them and I was in a Christmas moodView attachment 1571340
So after 10-15 seconds a big drip did form in the lather! Maybe that claim isn't all marketing hype.View attachment 1571342

Annoyingly long product description is part of PAA 23hr a day product hype machine.
I think you could get sufficiently drunk in a drinking game where you take a shot everytime they release a new soap scent.

I agree that it is too bad that the baseplate aren't actually tortoise shell. I think that would have been cool. But the every picture i've seen has that really pale look.
I like the gold cap with the filigree, but I don't care for the baseplate and I think their attempt at capturing the look of butterscotch bakelite is a complete fail. The handle just looks brown. To be fair, though, every attempt at artificially creating the natural butterscotch effect has pretty much failed, imo. Most are too orange. This one is definitely too brown.

I agree that it is too bad that the baseplate aren't actually tortoise shell. I think that would have been cool. But the every picture i've seen has that really pale look.
I like the gold cap with the filigree, but I don't care for the baseplate and I think their attempt at capturing the look of butterscotch bakelite is a complete fail. The handle just looks brown. To be fair, though, every attempt at artificially creating the natural butterscotch effect has pretty much failed, imo. Most are too orange. This one is definitely too brown.

Most pictures I have seen show it as a darker brown too, but I think it's somewhat butterscotch in person. I'll try to get some pictures in better lighting if anyone wants them.

Also, to anyone who may have considered it, I tried last night to see if I would get lucky and for some reason the top cap would mate up on a Gillette old type bottom cap and ball handle. I kinda expected the bottom cap not to fit, but was a little more hopeful for the handle. The handle did not thread.

I did not try any other handles I have either, but could lay with that.

If I'm being 100% completely honest, I feel this is a good razor, but could have been great.

Build quality is good. There is a brass insert in the bakelite handle and everything fits nice and tight.

First thing first is the case. It feels decent build quality. I'm not sure if it's real leather but it feels quality and has a decent zipper. But why, why the laser blue. The neon orange flap on the inside doesn't help the aesthetic either in my opinion.

Then the bottom cap. All the ones I have seen don't look like what I know as tortoiseshell. They almost look like acrylic with a gold swirl. I don't know how much it would have added to the cost to make a solid brass bottom with the grooves machined in it, but in my opinion it would have looked better if the bottom cap was at least the same color as the handle.

The top cap is great. It has a filigree that in my opinion was done very well. It looks correct and looks like it was done with care and not as a sloppy detail to try and make it look old.

The handle is somewhat neutral to me. The color of it in person isn't terrible, but most pictures make it look dark brown. I realize bakelite was the original material of the razor they were trying to duplicate but black or white would have looked more elegant, or even a brass Gillette clone handle.

Now, I don't claim to know PAA's customer base, and maybe this is the thing they drool over and is right up their alley.

But, in my opinion, this could have been a truly great razor had it come in a nice clamshell or if they made the case brown and they did a better job color matching the razor parts.

Or even better, if they are going to put a fancy design on the top cap, they could have cloned the Gillette pocket razors with the fancy bars and beautiful cases.

@Mr. Shavington so I tried the razor today with a dryer lather and the results were inconclusive.

I dunked the razor in the bowl for a chance to fill, and when I put it to my face, a drip formed in the lather. So I thought maybe it is working.

Then a few passes later I rinsed the razor, forgot to dunk and a drip formed in the lather anyway.

So, I don't know if the water was residual from the process of dunking and rinsing or if it was from the reservoir.

Sorry this doesn't give a concrete answer, but I guess I'm left thinking if I have to work this hard to try and get it to work maybe it doesn't work.

@Mr. Shavington so I tried the razor today with a dryer lather and the results were inconclusive.

I dunked the razor in the bowl for a chance to fill, and when I put it to my face, a drip formed in the lather. So I thought maybe it is working.

Then a few passes later I rinsed the razor, forgot to dunk and a drip formed in the lather anyway.

So, I don't know if the water was residual from the process of dunking and rinsing or if it was from the reservoir.

Sorry this doesn't give a concrete answer, but I guess I'm left thinking if I have to work this hard to try and get it to work maybe it doesn't work.
I think the same. If you have to do things you wouldn’t normally do, and you still can’t be sure whether it makes a difference or not, then it is not really having a useful or very noticeable effect.

That’s fine. I didn’t buy it for the water reservoir feature, and I always assumed that was just a gimmick. After all, the idea never caught on after the razor this is based on was launched.

My “The Artifact” 10th anniversary novelty plastic Bazooka Joe toy razor arrived yesterday and I just used it for the first time.

View attachment 1562745

To my surprise it is a perfectly acceptable shaver and you can use it just like a real razor. It gives a mildish shave, is pleasantly light, and the plastic comb feels soft on the face. There is enough blade feel and gap, though, to feel you’re getting a shave, and you wouldn’t want to overshave too much with it or apply weight - it would still give you irritation if you don’t treat it like a real razor.

The razor is very light (31g with a blade). The head is about 2/3 of the total weight but it doesn’t feel unbalanced to me, probably because it is all so light. The brass top cap is small and thin, and the balance point is where you would expect to hold it - on the sculpted nub at the top of the handle. Despite the low weight I didn’t experience any skipping, so perhaps the weight bias toward the head helps. The smooth handle can get a little bit slippery when wet, but with a razor this light it doesn’t matter. I didn’t have any problems with blade alignment - you can wobble the blade on the posts slightly if you try to, but it’s always aligned well enough.

The (bakelite) plastic feels nice to me. The handle is plain brown or rust coloured, depending on the light, and is a comfortable length and shape for my hand. The base plate is cream with swirls, and is thick enough to feel solid. The top of the handle has a brass insert where the top cap screws in, which is a nice detail and suggests that somebody wanted the razor to be more than just a cheap, throwaway thing. Overall it feels nice enough quality for a plastic razor.

I enjoyed it, honestly. It felt pleasant and light on my skin, was easy to feel the angle and shave with, it’s not the last word in efficiency but it’s fine, easy to shave with, and I had no difficulty getting a satisfyingly smooth shave. Unfortunately I’m not really a Gillette guy so I can’t tell you exactly how it compares to a Tech or something like that, which would seem the most natural kind of comparison.

It comes in a zippered case, which is nice if you want a zippered case for it, but it seems rather too large for what you might want for travel. There are three tucks of pretend blades included, which I assume are generic Chinese blades branded for PAA and might mess your face up if you actually use them - I will just assume they’re dreadful and leave them in the boxes. You get a sticker for some reason, but Blackland does that too, and you get a piece of paper that probably says something on it but I can’t be bothered to unfold it. It’s probably a ‘certificate’ or something, but if somebody does look at it and it’s a cheque for $1 million then please post to let me know before I lose it. Oh, and there’s a small cloth in case your nose is running, but it wouldn’t be large enough to deal with a bout of diarrhoea.

So overall it’s a novelty razor that I think will actually give you a decent and pleasant shave, and you could enjoy using it. I’m sure the $50 price is more than it should be but if you’re reading this you probably don’t care as long as you think it looks kinda cool and it performs decently, which it does. Yeah, it’s worth the $50 to me, and I’m quite happy to use it.

That’s way too serious a review for something like this, I know.
The best review for a truly weird looking device. I know for sure it is not the ugliest razor... if anything it comes second to the original one

I saw some of those YouTube reviews. As you’d expect they are all the least trustworthy and knowledgeable reviewers, even by YouTube standards. And at least half of them have full beards and don’t shave their faces at all, so don’t expect anything more informative than “It looks like this, and PAA wanted me to advertise it”. Mostly they talk about the blue plastic pouch it comes in, rather than the razor itself. All of them held the razor the right way up, but that’s the limit of their knowledge.

But in a way that’s probably appropriate. As a razor it’s a novelty item and it probably cost less than a dollar for their supplier in China to make. Personally I think it’s sort of nice. I like the mismatched colours of the plastic parts and I like the feel of bakelite (assuming it really is bakelite). If you like the look, don’t mind paying $50 for a plastic novelty razor, and you don’t expect it to be anything special, then it might be for you. Maybe it shaves ok - why not?

Obviously a 10th anniversary PAA razor is never going to be worth anything as a collectable. I’m sure you all know that.

I feel like I want one. I probably shouldn’t, and realistically I am sure I wouldn’t use it much. But still.
I can guarantee that with the PAA name attached to it the razor will be over-hyped and end up being disappointed. There a few YouTubers I don't even watch because everything is always GREAT!!

Top Bottom