What's new

PAA Artifact Razor

Don't have it. Saw it and watched a couple of videos.
I am somewhat interested. However, it makes me steamed that they say it comes with a 'butterscotch' bakelite handle when it is actually just a flat, boring brown.
Also they say the baseplate is tortoise shell, and I know they are all slightly different, but the ones I saw were mostly an off-white, which is not a color I would associate with 'tortoise shell.'

Finally, a lot of the story of the razor is about the water containers in the baseplate and how it makes the razor into a 'self-lubricating' razor, but not a single one of the video reviewers so much as mentioned it, let alone assessing how well it might have worked. I don't think any of them were even aware of this important feature of the razor.

I am hopeful that somebody around here will have one shortly and will be able to provide us with a good review that includes comments about whether the water thing actually works or whether it is more of a gimmick.

I saw some of those YouTube reviews. As you’d expect they are all the least trustworthy and knowledgeable reviewers, even by YouTube standards. And at least half of them have full beards and don’t shave their faces at all, so don’t expect anything more informative than “It looks like this, and PAA wanted me to advertise it”. Mostly they talk about the blue plastic pouch it comes in, rather than the razor itself. All of them held the razor the right way up, but that’s the limit of their knowledge.

But in a way that’s probably appropriate. As a razor it’s a novelty item and it probably cost less than a dollar for their supplier in China to make. Personally I think it’s sort of nice. I like the mismatched colours of the plastic parts and I like the feel of bakelite (assuming it really is bakelite). If you like the look, don’t mind paying $50 for a plastic novelty razor, and you don’t expect it to be anything special, then it might be for you. Maybe it shaves ok - why not?

Obviously a 10th anniversary PAA razor is never going to be worth anything as a collectable. I’m sure you all know that.

I feel like I want one. I probably shouldn’t, and realistically I am sure I wouldn’t use it much. But still.

I saw some of those YouTube reviews. As you’d expect they are all the least trustworthy and knowledgeable reviewers, even by YouTube standards. And at least half of them have full beards and don’t shave their faces at all, so don’t expect anything more informative than “It looks like this, and PAA wanted me to advertise it”. Mostly they talk about the blue plastic pouch it comes in, rather than the razor itself. All of them held the razor the right way up, but that’s the limit of their knowledge.

But in a way that’s probably appropriate. As a razor it’s a novelty item and it probably cost less than a dollar for their supplier in China to make. Personally I think it’s sort of nice. I like the mismatched colours of the plastic parts and I like the feel of bakelite (assuming it really is bakelite). If you like the look, don’t mind paying $50 for a plastic novelty razor, and you don’t expect it to be anything special, then it might be for you. Maybe it shaves ok - why not?

Obviously a 10th anniversary PAA razor is never going to be worth anything as a collectable. I’m sure you all know that.

I feel like I want one. I probably shouldn’t, and realistically I am sure I wouldn’t use it much. But still.
I am with you on this sentiment, and I have *almost* hit the button several times!
Buy it now.jpg

I should have said, to be fair to PAA, the razor comes with a free sticker, a small bit of cloth, a piece of paper, and some of those blades PAA sells that you never planned to buy. So I undersold the value slightly.

And I am appreciative of your thoughts on this razor. The photo looks cool to me and the description sounds intriguing. But how will it work out and what does it feel like in hand? I am afraid it will feel cheap, and that the "water wells" will just make my lather run!

But...
But I still want one to try out! Or at least see a review here from someone who really shaves!

I am with you on this sentiment, and I have *almost* hit the button several times!
View attachment 1554551

And I am appreciative of your thoughts on this razor. The photo looks cool to me and the description sounds intriguing. But how will it work out and what does it feel like in hand? I am afraid it will feel cheap, and that the "water wells" will just make my lather run!

But...
But I still want one to try out! Or at least see a review here from someone who really shaves!
It’s supposed to feel cheap, I think. That’s part of its charm. I’ve got an old 1950s Gillette Tech with a black bakelite handle. It’s definitely a nice thing - and I got a NOS one, boxed, with no marks on the handle - but I wouldn’t say it feels expensive in any way. It feels like it should - light, cheap, and plastic.

However, one nice detail of The Artifact is that the bakelite handle has a brass(?) end where it screws onto the top plate. I thiink that’s the detail that says somebody cared about making this cheap, novelty razor something that could last a long time. They didn’t need to do it - nobody would have expected it - so they must have wanted it to be made well and be something that an owner might care about too. God, as they say, is in the details.

Ok Im a sucker for novelty stuff. LOL. I just received mine today and I must say it appears better than I thought it would. It is top heavy due to the brass cap which I must say does look fairly nice with the filigree running around the edge. Doesn't feel as cheap as I thought it might.

How does it shave? Well I'll see how that goes in the morning. Based on how the blade gap and exposure look I would say it is going to be a very mild razor.

I will say the case is pretty nice and appears it will accommodate my Gillette slim if need be. At least there is that.

Ok Im a sucker for novelty stuff. LOL. I just received mine today and I must say it appears better than I thought it would. It is top heavy due to the brass cap which I must say does look fairly nice with the filigree running around the edge. Doesn't feel as cheap as I thought it might.

How does it shave? Well I'll see how that goes in the morning. Based on how the blade gap and exposure look I would say it is going to be a very mild razor.

I will say the case is pretty nice and appears it will accommodate my Gillette slim if need be. At least there is that.
Excellent. Looking forward to hearing how it shaves. And we need pics. There aren’t any pics in the thread yet, which is all wrong.

I am anxiously awaiting your review of your experience! I, too, am a sucker for this kind of stuff!
Waiting santa.jpg

1st shave with the artifact this morning. All in all not too bad but I did make the mistake of trying the Strangelet blades that came with it. They are definitely not for me. Too rough and tuggy.

It is a mild razor that is top heavy. I think due to the weight I did apply a little too much pressure. Ended up with a BBS but had quite a bit of irritation from the Strangelet blades and too much pressure. As to the "water wells" in the base plate, I could not tell that they really did anything. Of course I do have the habit of shaking my razor after a rinse so maybe that defeated the purpose of the wells.

I think the razor has promise. Im going to give it some more time so I get used to it and also use a sharper blade in it. Such as a Nacet or Feather. It will at least make a good travel razor I believe.

Im not a photographer but I will attach a couple of pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_0076.jpeg
    IMG_0076.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 113
  • IMG_0072.jpeg
    IMG_0072.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 111
  • IMG_0070.jpeg
    IMG_0070.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 112

Eric_75

Not made for these times.

Welcome to B & B!

1st shave with the artifact this morning. All in all not too bad but I did make the mistake of trying the Strangelet blades that came with it. They are definitely not for me. Too rough and tuggy.

It is a mild razor that is top heavy. I think due to the weight I did apply a little too much pressure. Ended up with a BBS but had quite a bit of irritation from the Strangelet blades and too much pressure. As to the "water wells" in the base plate, I could not tell that they really did anything. Of course I do have the habit of shaking my razor after a rinse so maybe that defeated the purpose of the wells.

I think the razor has promise. Im going to give it some more time so I get used to it and also use a sharper blade in it. Such as a Nacet or Feather. It will at least make a good travel razor I believe.

Makes a lot of sense and sounds like it will work just fine with a better blade and after adjusting to the balance. I think it all seems as one would expect. Maybe they could have drilled the handle and inserted a brass rod to add weight - I suspect I would prefer that as I tend to get along best with balanced or handle-heavy razors.

I still feel like I want one.

Thanks for the good pics.

Great write up, thanks! And the photos are fine. Like @Mr. Shavington, I think I still want one! May I request a pass without shaking? I am curious about how much water will come out!

And Welcome to the Fun House!

Great write up, thanks! And the photos are fine. Like @Mr. Shavington, I think I still want one! May I request a pass without shaking? I am curious about how much water will come out!

And Welcome to the Fun House!
I did a shave with the Artifact this morning being careful not to shake after rinsing. My procedure was to rinse the razor and leave it submerged in the sink for just a bit. It seems there is a very small amount of water that does seep out from the wells. But it is not a lot. At least not for me. It did perform better with my usual Nacet blade. Although I still got some irritation. Im wondering if it's the teeth on the open comb causing it. Will continue to give it a chance at least until my next impulse buy. LOL.

I did a shave with the Artifact this morning being careful not to shake after rinsing. My procedure was to rinse the razor and leave it submerged in the sink for just a bit. It seems there is a very small amount of water that does seep out from the wells. But it is not a lot. At least not for me. It did perform better with my usual Nacet blade. Although I still got some irritation. Im wondering if it's the teeth on the open comb causing it. Will continue to give it a chance at least until my next impulse buy. LOL.
Thanks! I'm still on the fence, but with selling a razor now I think about how to spend the money!

Top Bottom