What's new

PAA Amber Aerolite

15 years ago when I started this hobby, Mark aka Mantic59 was considered one of the gurus. I found his YouTube instructional material valuable, and our similar tastes in razors (Merkur Progress and mild non-adjustables) made his information even more helpful to me.

I’ve enjoyed reading his blog from time to time, but had begun to question some of his conclusions and recommendations simply because I think that objectivity tends to evaporate once one starts getting kickbacks for product referrals. So when he described the PAA Peregrino shave brush as “astonishing” and “better than badger costing several times as much” I figured what the heck, it’s a cheap experiment. I made the wish to Santa Claus who came through with the Amber Aerolite, which is essentially the same brush but in a better (to me) color scheme.

I like the idea of synthetics, and I own a couple of Razorocks that are fun to have in the rotation. But I wouldn’t rank them above my badger or boar brushes in either lathering or on the face performance. Playing around with the Amber Aerolite “dry” and just out of the box I expected a similar performance as the bristles felt only a little different from the Razorocks. The handle shape was a big thumbs up, however, and to me reason enough to justify the addition to my den.

In actual use I was pleasantly surprised. The Amber Aerolite had a lot more backbone than expected, and did a great job both building and applying lather. It’s closer to my Saville Row badger than any other brush I have, and that is a very high complement. Plus not only is the handle pleasing to look at, I believe that it is now the best performing one in my collection — I find it easier to grip when slick with later than my others.

Conclusion: For around $20, I have to agree with the guru — astonishing.

PAA AA.jpeg

I'm kind of turned off by the "presentation" of the PAA www site, but I'm already thinking that there may be another of their brushes in my future because of how much I like this one!

Agree. Douglas has a lot of story telling and bling related to his product releases. He's unique in his presentation skills department but makes some good soap , brushes and razors - most of them recreations. I've got most of their soap, all the brushes and metal razors. Good stuff!

I have the Atomic Rocket and that knot really stands out amongst other synthetics. There is definitely much more backbone yet it is still somehow so soft. The handle is just right as well. It's hard to beat at $20. I was originally going to buy a Peregrino but they were sold out at the time. I expect I'll own it and a few others eventually.

I have the atomic rocket and the star craft and I love them both plus I just ordered the amber aerolite and green ray brush, that I'm waiting for in the mail that should come this week. I love the hefty solid build quality & color patterns of the PAA brushes, not to mention how plush the brushes are. I like how Douglas Smythe has brought back to life the old style brush handles to his brushes they are really classy looking and just work awesome & feel good on the face or head.

02.jpg01.jpgbrush 1and2.JPG

Last edited:

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Agree. Douglas has a lot of story telling and bling related to his product releases. He's unique in his presentation skills department but makes some good soap , brushes and razors - most of them recreations. I've got most of their soap, all the brushes and metal razors. Good stuff!
"Unique in his presentation skills"..... I wish the teachers had written THAT on my Report Card instead of what they did! Douglas (if that is his real name) almost makes ME look normal...
I have the atomic rocket and the star craft and I love them both plus I just ordered the amber aerolite and green ray brush, that I'm waiting for in the mail that should come this week. I love the hefty solid build quality & color patterns of the PAA brushes, not to mention how plush the brushes are. I like how Douglas Smythe has brought back to life the old style brush handles to his brushes they are really classy looking and just work awesome & feel good on the face or head.

View attachment 1391024
I've been tempted by that John Deere lookin' brush since the first time I saw it. I need to become even more "mantic" than I already am and maybe I can be a shill!

Well your write up pushed me off the ledge since I am looking for a synthetic to try with some of the new omnibus bases from B&M. I'll have to see how well it performs but you give me high hopes!

You know I just tried to like the amberlite but to me it was just a meh brush. Don't get me wrong that while it it is way better than the old muhle synth that I started with years ago, it just couldn't hang with my badger. I tried it with both an an omnibus and excelsior base from B&M and it was lackluster. This after B&M recommends a syn now for their new base. I had way too much trouble whipping up a good lather and when i did get it, it just didn't hold up very well. Kind of disappointing.

The Amber Aerolite is one of my favorite synthetic brushes. Soft and more backbone than expected.....just what I like. It's a large brush with comfy handle that fits well into my stand. Lathers my soaps like it's nothing. Tried the Peregrino but it doesn't have enough backbone and is a little too soft for my preference.

Anyone know how the Atomic Rocket compares to the Amber Aerolite? More backbone or less?

Top Bottom